WANTED: yz400f seat/tank

6 replies to this topic
  • xrracer36

Posted October 10, 2001 - 06:34 AM

i ride a 98 wr400f, and as you all hopefully know, they have a bit of an xr-like seat/tank junction that makes it hard to get forward for turns (i race mx), and there is essentially only 1 seat/graphics kit that will fit it. I would like to find a yzf seat/tank for my wr, but don't want to shell out the $300 for the IMS combo... if anyone knows of one (a yfz) that is blown up or being parted out (or where i could get an affordable likeness) please let me know @ lew5702@sru.edu
i would even settle for just the tank, cuz i could put out the $70 for the new seat (entire unit offered by CEET i think)

thanks

[This message has been edited by xrracer36 (edited October 10, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by xrracer36 (edited October 10, 2001).]

• neWRiver

Posted October 10, 2001 - 07:20 AM

The Acerbis 3.4 gal YZF replacement tank is worth a look. They are closing out their stock for the 98/99 400's at a price of $105 shipped free (and fast delivery).
http://www.acerbis.com

(go to "Sale" on the menu in the right hand frame and select "Closeout")

I just got one of these for my 01' WR250F. It's not a perfect fit for me because the radiator shroud configuration is slightly different on the newer models. I used a couple spacers as suggested by someone else here and it works/looks fine. Other than that the Acerbis is a nice unit and fitted up like OEM (the '01 model cost more than double the price I paid).

Note that this is a "WR"-like capacity tank and is therefore lower slung. This means tighter clearances around choke and hot start on one side and close proximity to the head pipe on the other. I found that on my bike, the hot start is no longer operable (rats!). I'm thinking that this may be attributable to the model differences and you might not have that problem. I used some of the money I saved to order a remote hot start kit (cool! - I wanted one anyway).

On the header side you have to deal with the petcock and fuel line coming close (within one inch) to the header which is very hot. As of right now I have just left the fuel line off and keep that petcock turned off and have had no problems. I'm converting the fuel line on that side to braided steel (which has higher temperature rating) and will also cover that with fire jacket. This seems more than adequate and for about 15 bucks, I found the hose, fire jacket and some hose clamp type hose ends that will keep the braided line from fraying on the ends. This fuel line issue seems to be a problem for all of the larger capacity YZ replacement tanks that feature a petcock on both sides.

I got the SDG replacement seat (complete unit) for $85. In all, I am very happy with the results and keeping the larger tank capacity was very important to me due to the range I cover in a days ride out on the trail. Note, the SDG seat is as hard or a bit harder than the stock "brick" that came on my bike. I think some new seat foam is in my future (or maybe I'll keep it the way it is to force me to get up on the pegs more).

On a budget and especially if the larger capacity is not needed, a used stock YZF tank could probably be got for a similar price and would avoid the "engineering" problems mentioned. Of course, you'd have to look around a little harder to find one I would imagine.

[This message has been edited by neWRiver (edited October 10, 2001).]

• xrracer36

Posted October 11, 2001 - 03:24 AM

ok, thanks... i'll check it out, but i think i'll keep looking for a used yzf tank, though. i don't feel like looking for any more trouble than i have to in modifications (just means more hassle when comes time for any repairs). i can deal with the stocker just fine, i just wanted to find an easy way to make my ride better.
a petcock on bothsides, why?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • neWRiver

Posted October 11, 2001 - 07:37 AM

In order to maintain the YZF seat to tank profile, the tank is split over the frame and hangs down closer to the engine on each side. This gives you two "low" spots in the tank and the extra gas is not much use if it won't drain into the carb. The only other option is to tip the bike as the fuel level goes down or just rely on the jostling of the fuel (over rough terrain) to cause transfer of the fuel from one side to the other. The Acerbis tank comes with two petcocks, so I figure I'll use them both.

Actually, dealing with the extra petcock where the fuel line is close to the header isn't too big of a problem to solve. But, I agree very much with keeping things as simple as possible and the lower slung tank makes it harder to get at the carb for example. If you don't need the extra gallon, stick with a stock size YZF tank. On the other hand, if you need to carry extra fuel, the bigger tank seems to be the best alternative.

• Hokie

Posted October 12, 2001 - 11:42 AM

Originally posted by xrracer36:
i ride a 98 wr400f, and as you all hopefully know, they have a bit of an xr-like seat/tank junction that makes it hard to get forward for turns (i race mx), and there is essentially only 1 seat/graphics kit that will fit it. I would like to find a yzf seat/tank for my wr, but don't want to shell out the $300 for the IMS combo... if anyone knows of one (a yfz) that is blown up or being parted out (or where i could get an affordable likeness) please let me know @ lew5702@sru.edu
i would even settle for just the tank, cuz i could put out the $70 for the new seat (entire unit offered by CEET i think)

thanks

I have a almost brand new (2 rides, no wear) SDG replacement gripper seat for my '99 YZ400 that I am looking to sell. It came as part of the Clarke WR/YZ conversion kit.

It is $89.00 new from Clarke.
So make me an offer!

• mxchamps

Posted October 13, 2001 - 04:37 PM

It might be too late, but I saw one on ebay the other day. An IMS tank too! I saw it under "yamaha yz".

• xrracer36

Posted October 15, 2001 - 07:00 AM

i am now seriously consdering the clarke "stock-yzf" tank. i guess it would be the same dimensions as the stocker (2.2 gal) and an sdg seat. if you have any digital pics of the seat, hit me...
does anyone know of any pro gncc riders' websites (that rides 400f's) they use aftermarket oversize tanks... maybe they'd sell me a stock unit...
and does anyone know it the clarke "blue" they offer the tank in is a the blue that matches the 98 yzf/wr color?
thanks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.