XR600 to XR 650 rear wheel swap Please Read!!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • Miker

Posted November 07, 2003 - 05:27 PM

OK then I have both wheels side by side on the garage floor. As far as I can tell the only difference is that the XR600 wheel has a metal colar on the sprocket side that the spacer seems to be pressed into and the disc is a different size. The axel on the 650 is bigger as of course are the seals the bearings and the tube which is inbetween the bearings. Everything else looks and measures the same. So my question is this. Can the bearings and the seals and the tube between the bearings be swapped? It looks like they can be. I wil be looking into it further but if anyone has done the swap please let me know the results!
I have not tried the front wheel yet but I am betting that the axel size is the same for both wheels.
It would make since that Honda would use the same hub if possible and just increase the axel size and thus the bearing size on the rear wheel to make up for the difference in horsepower. The front size really would not need to change.

• AzMtnThumper

Posted November 07, 2003 - 07:39 PM

I don't know if your wheels will swap or not but you are right the sprocket side spacer on a 600 is a press fit into the wheel bearing behind the retainer. Is the bolt pattern the same on both brake rotors? I think they take the same rear sprocket so the hubs may be the same or lagely the same. :)

• Miker

Posted November 07, 2003 - 08:17 PM

Good to know that is a press fit because the inside diameter of that side is the same on both wheels! So I am betting that you take that out as well as the bearings and the middle spacer and replace them with the XR650 parts and presto spare dual sport wheel! I hope! Oh and yes the disc bolts line up. The hubs are actually identical except that the 600s are painted gray and the 650s are left natural. Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XpT__cpg_33

Posted May 06, 2006 - 09:57 AM

Did the rear wheel ever fit

• Albysmiff

Posted May 11, 2006 - 01:41 AM

I too am curious how this ended up or indeed if anyone Else has had a go at it, I was also wondering if there were any other rear wheels that would fix the 650, say like CRF 450 or I have heard some CR's are the same.

• weskc35k

Posted May 11, 2006 - 02:34 AM

Have read on here www.fourstrokes.com/tech/honda/rptip.asp about fronts.
And somewhere on a Honda site something aboot the rear.
I'll Jack it up when i find it.

• Albysmiff

Posted May 15, 2006 - 12:53 AM

Thanks Wes there was a bit of stuff there but not what I was looking for unfortunately might just go to the wreckers and see if I can pick one up cheap to try

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.