85' kx125

10 replies to this topic
  • chadk66

Posted September 12, 2012 - 05:48 AM

Found an absolutely mint 85' kx125 that I'm buying. still has original sprocket and tires. not a scratch on the pipe and barely any wear on the engine side covers. What vintage classes is it eligible for.

• 79yamdt

Posted September 12, 2012 - 01:22 PM

Idk depends on the rules where you race. It would fall into a transition class which is '99 and older at a near by vintage at some places if they have it. The next step down would be an evolution class which is much more common. This needs to have no linkage suspension, air cooled, and drum brakes all around.

This is what I'm familiar with. You just have to check what vintage clubs are around and what they have for classes.

• Robmx29

Posted September 12, 2012 - 09:28 PM

share a photo. :rolleyes:

• chadk66

Posted September 13, 2012 - 04:27 AM

hopefully will pick it up later this week. My kid sent me a message with a picture but I don't know if I can pull it off my phone. Never tried that before. I'll get one up soon as i can

• CamP

Posted September 14, 2012 - 10:42 AM

Don't run it until after you replace the air filter. Been many mint engines ruined by disintegrating air filters getting sucked through the engine after long term storage.

Edited by CamP, September 14, 2012 - 10:52 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chadk66

Posted September 14, 2012 - 07:13 PM

Don't run it until after you replace the air filter. Been many mint engines ruined by disintegrating air filters getting sucked through the engine after long term storage.

great point. I'd bet it's nothing but dust. worked on an old kdx80 last spring. 83 model. and the air filter was roasted.

• brraaapperdoodle

Posted September 16, 2012 - 04:27 AM

sounds sweet, defiantly want to see this little ripper. Funny though, When I went to pick up my XL in Kentucky the guy swore that the metal screen was the air filter. He said, "it has one of those washable metal filderz" I just nodded and agreed, not to argue or disturb this guy, I wanted his bike hahah but really he had been running it with no filter for years and had no idea that it is a metal screen that needs the element to cover it :bonk:

• Chuck671

Posted October 17, 2012 - 06:03 PM

I had one of these from 85 to 88...great bike! Handled pretty well with decent suspenders, easy to work on and the motor was great! Excellent low/mid-range that was easy to ride. Raced it back then with great starts and good results...for me, anyway...LOL!

Keep an eye out for frame cracks at the steering head and shock/rocker mount areas. I got it used and it had already been welded twice by the PO, but it never cracked on me.

Please post some pics if you can and have fun on it...it's a great bike!

• brraaapperdoodle

Posted October 19, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Please post some pics if you can and have fun on it...it's a great bike!

Yeah! Pics! Lets see it

• chadk66

Posted October 19, 2012 - 07:15 PM

well I went to pick it up and the guy backed out on me. decided he didn't want to sell it. so it'll sit in his shop for who knows how long. it's my son's best friend's uncle. I guess he does this crap where he goes back and forth on selling stuff lol. So I have to wait till he gets in the selling mood again lol. I have some pics on my phone but I've never tried to pull pics off the phone. I'll see if I can do that in the next day or so. Sucks cuz it was absolutely mint.

• VinceDC

Posted October 19, 2012 - 07:17 PM

Bought one of those brand new.I for sure know the strengths and weakness of that bike.Overall good bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.