Earlier model WR400's - problems?

6 replies to this topic
  • tommygundown

Posted November 07, 2003 - 03:13 PM

Given my budget, I'm looking at getting an earlier model WR400. Are there any issues I need to know about in relation to bikes manufactured in particular years?

• Hick

Posted November 07, 2003 - 03:24 PM

Given my budget, I'm looking at getting an earlier model WR400. Are there any issues I need to know about in relation to bikes manufactured in particular years?

Not anything in particular that I can think of. They probably got better each year, I b'leve the rod changed from '98 to '99, and the earlier water pumps were leak prone (def. not a deal killer however). Frame geometry may have changed slightly in '99 also, handlebar position moved forward in '00. Lighter swingarm in '02, just more crap like that.

Finding one that has low(er) hours, better maint., is I think more significant that avoiding any one year model.

Good luck.

• rockieman

Posted November 07, 2003 - 03:59 PM

I have a '99 with over 6000 miles....no problems whatsoever with mine....seems I recall they had a problem with the kickstarters in '98. They weren't very beefy and most riders weren't used to kickin something so difficult :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DDZMCC

Posted November 07, 2003 - 10:14 PM

I loved mine til it got yanked.

• Bamster

Posted November 08, 2003 - 07:06 AM

No major problems with my 99. Crappy wheel bearings,not enough grease in the sterring stem and swingarm linkage from the factory. They can also eat throtle cables.
thats about it.

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted November 11, 2003 - 09:48 AM

:thumbsup:I have a 98 wr 400 and it has never caused me any trouble . The bike it a easy starter once you get the routine down . :)

• Bryan Bosch

Posted November 11, 2003 - 06:43 PM

99 WR 400... Just put if up for sale today, but ZERO problems with the bike. Great machine. :)

Bryan

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.