chain snnapped and put hole in case

11 replies to this topic
  • mtahoe

Posted September 10, 2012 - 07:19 AM

How much of a fluke is this chain broke case and let out all oil bummer! Anyone else ever seen or gone through this .Looks like a big expensive job..

• MANIAC998

Posted September 10, 2012 - 02:31 PM

I've seen it before, but I still think it's fairly rare. And yes, it gets expensive.
Maniac

• Taxgod4u

Posted September 10, 2012 - 06:46 PM

what year and how many miles did it have?

• mtahoe

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:44 AM

08 yz lucky it was not mine, but my buudy has no idea what he is in for...probably 2000 miles. mine has case chain guard :)

• n16ht5

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:02 AM

fail.

• Stealth13

Posted September 11, 2012 - 03:49 PM

Guess I got lucky , snapped mine on the street and it did nothing besides jam up

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted September 13, 2012 - 12:48 AM

08 yz lucky it was not mine, but my buudy has no idea what he is in for...probably 2000 miles. mine has case chain guard :)

That doesn't mean a thing. You really think 2 little 6 mm bolts that guard is held on with is going to hold a bunched up chain under power back?

• mtahoe

Posted September 14, 2012 - 08:43 PM

That doesn't mean a thing. You really think 2 little 6 mm bolts that guard is held on with is going to hold a bunched up chain under power back?

No garentees but, sure rather have it than not to take the blow instead on the case...

• zibbit u2

Posted September 14, 2012 - 11:36 PM

only thing a case guard helps against is a loose link slapping the case which causes a crack.... not a wadded up ball of chain. Which (knock on wood), hopefully it doesn't happen to me.

to the OP, your buddy has two options;

1. he ponies up the prolly close to 3-4 large to fix his bike (new case, bearings, seals) or;

2. he parts the bike and "hopefully" recuperates some of his costs in the bike (which never works, too many low ballers out there), or;

3. he pulls the ultimate cheap option and JB welds the case hoping it doesn't blow cause it's lost oil and throw a rod thru the case 20 miles into a bush,

good luck my friend.

• mtahoe

Posted September 15, 2012 - 09:17 PM

only thing a case guard helps against is a loose link slapping the case which causes a crack.... not a wadded up ball of chain. Which (knock on wood), hopefully it doesn't happen to me.

to the OP, your buddy has two options;

1. he ponies up the prolly close to 3-4 large to fix his bike (new case, bearings, seals) or;

2. he parts the bike and "hopefully" recuperates some of his costs in the bike (which never works, too many low ballers out there), or;

3. he pulls the ultimate cheap option and JB welds the case hoping it doesn't blow cause it's lost oil and throw a rod thru the case 20 miles into a bush,

good luck my friend.

He found a new used one for $2000 now has plenty of parts

• zibbit u2

Posted September 16, 2012 - 12:47 AM

Good fined, good luck

• NEKOOHC

Posted September 16, 2012 - 04:34 AM

True ...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.