Wiring help

4 replies to this topic
  • CactusDave

Posted September 09, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Bought a 02 WR426, the previous owner put on a tusk lighting kit. When I got the bike the the tail light was the only thing that worked, I traced all the wiring and found the brake light switch had the wires ripped out and were hanging. Further investigation revealed a mess up in the front area where a whole bunch of wires were jerry bobbed together and pinched from the steering stop. I reconnected all the wires for the tusk kit and now have turn signals, tail and brake lights, horn. my issue now is the headlight. The bike has 2 switches for the lights. The tusk combo switch ran the turn signals and horn, the other switch ran the head lights. In my haste I did not remember to write down what wires went to what when I yanked everything out.
Can anyone tell me what colors are what? Here are the wires on the bike... black, blue, and yellow.
Posted Image
This is the switch
Posted Image

• miweber929

Posted September 10, 2012 - 04:22 AM

Without a manual if a bike in front of me, my guess idle the black is common and the yellow and blue are high and low beam. To figure that out grab a multimeter set to low resistance and verify that measuring black to blue then black to yellow, you should get little to no resistance and appear to be a short. Then take a 9 volt battery and bridge the same wires for a second and see what beam lights up to determine what is what on the headlight. If not measure between the wires and find out what color is your common. I think blue is highbeams.

Remember this is an add on kit both on the bike and headlight, there's not really a "set" way to hook this up so you'll have to verify what the PO did.

If you don't have a meter go to Walmart, Harbor Frieght, wherever and buy a meter before ever goofing with your wiring again. Even a $10 will give you everything you need to check this stuff.

Edited by miweber929, September 10, 2012 - 04:26 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123honus

Posted September 11, 2012 - 06:13 AM

Go to the Rocky Mountain site that sells this switch.
They have a wiring diagram for the switch.
The diagram is a pdf and is available for just the switch, or for their wiring harness if you need it.

• g17jimmy

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:22 AM

I have the '03 service manual PDF at home. I'll check it and reply again tonight.

• g17jimmy

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Here's the light on the wiring diagram http://imgur.com/Y8qtZ . The yellow is the headlight main and the factory wiring has the blue feeding the high beam, black to ground.

I have the '03 service manual PDF at home. I'll check it and reply again tonight.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.