Help

4 replies to this topic
  • YamahaRideOne

Posted September 07, 2012 - 10:36 PM

Hey,

So today i went to fire up my 06' WR450F and well that did not go so well, so it has been sitting since last year and i don't recall putting stabilizer in it over the winter, it will (WITH A LOT of effort) start with the choke open and with holding onto the throttle it will eventually run and not just just off when i let off the throttle BUT, as soon as i push the choke in it shuts right off immediately and then gives me trouble once again to try and start it again.

Am i in the right direction to pull and drain the fuel tank and then pull and clean the carbs? i put a new battery in thinking it was that ( when i tried to start it a few weeks back) but it seems that was a waste of 60$ haha as it is doing the same thing.

If i'm heading in the right direction i will get to it.

Thanks

• AKmud

Posted September 07, 2012 - 10:45 PM

Yup, start with fresh fuel and don't forget to drain the float bowl.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikewrf18

Posted September 07, 2012 - 10:52 PM

Most likely a clogged Pilot Jet. After draining float bowl/carb, tank, and replacing with fresh fuel I'd pull the pilot jet and clean or replace.

• Dougie64

Posted September 08, 2012 - 02:47 AM

What AKmud said, dont bother removing carb just yet, remove the drain plug on the float bowl (17mm head from memory) and drain fuel out. Remove hose going into carb and drain fuel out of tank, put fresh fuel in and it should be good as new. My brothers yz426f won't even start if the fuels more than 9 months old, drain fuel and put fresh stuff in and it starts in 2 kicks.

• MANIAC998

Posted September 08, 2012 - 03:57 AM

I'm also betting that it's a clogged pilot jet. But try fresh fuel first!!
Maniac

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.