YZ Engine swap in a WR

3 replies to this topic
  • LIV4MUD

Posted September 07, 2012 - 07:17 AM

I have a chance to buy a street titled WR400 in great shape for dirt cheap. Only thing is that the motor is garbage. I can buy a complete YZ450 motor off e bay from a 2005. Can this swap be done easily or will it not work at all?

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted September 07, 2012 - 09:37 AM

No, it can't be done easily.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ssquared

Posted September 17, 2012 - 05:53 AM

as far as I know the frame geometry is the same. I think the only difference is the swing arm pivot bolt diameter.

• loco4x4

Posted September 18, 2012 - 07:19 PM

as far as I know the frame geometry is the same. I think the only difference is the swing arm pivot bolt diameter.

I put my 2002 WR426 motor into a 1999 YZ400 frame that was plated. As I swapped everything from the '02 to a bare '99 frame, I drilled the 17mm swing arm pivot bolt holes in the frame up to 18mm.

Mine was relatively easy as the 400 and 426 cases are the same. I wonder if you can say the same for the 450. Be careful about placement of other engine mounting holes.

Good luck! It's nice having a plated dirt bike!

Edited by loco4x4, September 18, 2012 - 07:22 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.