ss filter spring/gas cap vent tube ......'09YZ450

5 replies to this topic
  • ruleej32

Posted September 06, 2012 - 12:26 PM

I bought this bike a week ago. Not sure when I lost it but the vent tube on gas cap is missing. Not sure what happened to it because it was on there when I bought it. I've think I've ridden a couple of times without it. Do I need to buy a new gas cap now? Also what's the rubber gasket that comes with it.?

Changed the oil today.I noticed there was no spring in the oil filter. Isn't there suppose to be a spring? Also, it's a SS filter so after I clean it do I have to wait for it dry before I put it back in? (no compressed air to dry it with)
?

• FinchFan194

Posted September 06, 2012 - 01:29 PM

You just need a new vent line for your gas cap >$10.
Also there is no spring on the oil filter.

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2012 - 03:23 PM

Be sure it's stainless steel. If it's an old brass mesh OEM type, don't reuse it.

If you lack compressed air, rinse it with rubbing alcohol, shake it out, and blow it dry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ruleej32

Posted September 06, 2012 - 04:17 PM

great info as always on TT

I've heard people mention rubber gasket missing? is that a part of the cap or vent tube?

Also if I order one on ebay can I ride without it in the meantime?

Edited by ruleej32, September 06, 2012 - 05:04 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted September 06, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Part of the filter element. The oil flow in the YZF is from the outside, through the filter media, and into the interior, and out to the engine's vital parts through a hole at one end. That end, then, carries the filtered oil under pressure, so it has to be sealed against leakage in order to keep dirty oil out.

So, the open end on all YZF filters has to have a seal around that hole. The OEM type filters have a thick, springy rubber pad at the closed end, too, but not as a seal or gasket of any kind. Its purpose is to press the filter against the oil passage squarely without crimping the pleats of the filter. If they crush just a little, a lot of them will totally collapse under a heavy volume.

The steel filters are stiff enough to be squeezed harder without yielding, and have much less tendency to fold up under pressure even if bent. That, and the fact that they can be manufactured to much closer tolerances eliminates the need for the rubber "spring" on the base of the OEM type.

• ruleej32

Posted September 07, 2012 - 10:26 AM

thanks again G.R. ! Am I okay to ride while my vent valve is in the mail?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.