Input bearing? Loud rattle noise with clutch out

12 replies to this topic
  • wileo

Posted September 05, 2012 - 01:42 PM

Bikr:2007 yz450f

Hi today my bike started making a loud rattle with the clutch out and goes away when I pull the clutch into the bar. I can feel it in the seat.

From my experience with cars it would say an input bearing as the tranny isn't spinnig and the noise goes away

How hard is it to pull these trannys apart

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:30 PM

Trans rattle in neutral is normal:

If you think yours is louder than the normal growling noise this typically produces, then you might have a bearing problem, yes. Maybe.

Open the clutch up and remove the pressure plate and the plate stack and see how the main shaft feels when you turn it.

To pull the trans down, the cases must be split.

• wileo

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:49 PM

I think it started today. I've had the bike for 15-17 hours.

Could it also be the clutch plates

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2012 - 08:19 PM

I'll bet it didn't start today. It's not the clutch plates. Read the post I liked to.

• wileo

Posted September 06, 2012 - 05:18 AM

I did thanks for the info gray

• flapwick

Posted September 06, 2012 - 07:57 PM

I was just gonna post on the same issue,same year,same bike.I've had an 02 426,an 06 yz450,an 05 yz250,an 03 yz125,and an 04 yz250,and I got used to the loud clutch thing on all of them.Never had a problem.But my recently purchased 07 yz450 also has a weird harmonic sound to it that is really loud and odd.I took the clutch cover off out at the track last Monday,and I can wiggle the entire clutch basket.I never tried that on any of my other Yamaha's,so I don't know if it's normal.My mechanic buddy says There's a coupla bearings in there and a bushing that probably need to be replaced.Any thoughts or advice?Gray,I read your link,but it didn't seem to address my problem.Thanks!P.S. I hear it when I'm in gear out on the track,and actually had I guy I passed come up to me afterward and ask about my loud's not just at idle,or in neutral.NOTE:There are no bearings in the clutch basket.There is a bronze colored bushing that is pressed in and is part of the basket itself.There IS a single ballbearing and a flat needlebearing ring at the end of the pushrod.

Edited by flapwick, September 16, 2012 - 06:51 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flapwick

Posted September 08, 2012 - 10:17 AM

If anyone cares.....I found out that you cannot replace the bearings or anything in the 07 clutch basket.It comes as a single complete unit.I also found out that the basket noise was an issue on the 07 450,and although I did not find any grenading issues associated with the basket,Yamaha did replace that part with a new basket for 08,and that is what I ordered from my local shop yesterday.The noise was so loud,it was distracting at times,and made my bike sound like some worn out old heap.And that,my friends,is something I cannot bear.

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2012 - 06:54 AM

Do you have an aftermarket skid plate?

• flapwick

Posted September 10, 2012 - 09:59 PM

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:54 AM

Take the skidder off and try it. I once had my son's YZ450 part way opened up twice looking for a noise the skid plate caused by touching the frame. Padded the rails with an old inner tube and fixed the problem.

• flapwick

Posted September 14, 2012 - 07:54 PM

I put the new 08 clutch basket in my bike and it is waaay quieter.When I put my Works Connection skidplate on ,it does definitely increase the noise,but it's nowhere near the sonic rattletrap freakout that it was before.$200.00 well spent?Ummm,yeah,I'm glad I did it.I'm gonna try your inner tube trick, Gray.Standard or double thick?And just to head off any future confusion,Yamaha did go to a different clutch basket in 08.The 08 part number is now used for the 07 too(and maybe earlier models too,I didn't check),so if you look it up on the parts fiche,you will see the same,new number for the 07 too.

Edited by flapwick, September 14, 2012 - 08:00 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted September 15, 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm gonna try your inner tube trick, Gray.Standard or double thick?

Whatever you have. I used standard.

• flapwick

Posted September 16, 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thanks,Gray!I appreciate all the good work you do in here.....

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.