03' Yamaha YZ Athena 480F Build

1 reply to this topic
  • mstangsteve

Posted September 03, 2012 - 08:14 AM

First of all, the bikes not finished!
i took the engine apart the weekend before our yearly Silverlake Dune trip. The mission was to install my Athena 480 BB kit. I found out that this bike had a hotrodz crank and connecting rod put in by the previous owner. the 480 piston wont sit right on the aftermarket connecting rod. The piston teeters on the connecting rod and i cant get the piston wrist pin to line up.
Do to my up coming trip i put everything back together.
While on my trip i would get a slight knocking noise occasionally under load.
Ive torn my bike down again to send the engine to my friends machine shop to mill the under side of the piston to fit on the connection rod. During the tear down i noticed some oil blow-by the timing chain tensioner access bolt. the one with the brass O-ring. Could this bolt being lose cause some sloop in the timing and made a noise complaint. there was not damage to the valve or pistion.
Update soon.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Could this bolt being lose cause some sloop in the timing and made a noise complaint(?)

No. The tensioner would work fine with that bolt missing entirely.

If the piston teeters on the rod, something's amiss. The YZ450 should have an 18mm wrist pin. If the crank is from a 426, the pin would be 19mm.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.