2014 YZ450

66 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted October 17, 2012 - 10:11 AM

"Significant" is a subjective word. I don't know about you, but in my mind, moving the muffler (probably 70% of the exhaust system weight) forward 4-5" is significant. In spite of the fact that the muffler hasn't been moved forward of the CG, it has unquestionably moved forward, as well as downward.

Which is great for centralizing mass and giving the bike a lighter feel overall, however I don't believe it will put any noticeable amount back on the front end.

• grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Which is great for centralizing mass and giving the bike a lighter feel overall, however I don't believe it will put any noticeable amount back on the front end.

After moving a 5 pound silencer 5" forward, you'd be able to measure the front/rear weight distribution change with a scale, I expect. Besides no one said that it was done to put weight on the front wheel, only that it moves weight forward, which it unquestionably does. When you're talking about moving weight located behind the CG towards the CG it both centralizes the mass AND moves weight forward, no matter how you want to spin it.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 17, 2012 - 11:14 AM

Fair enough!
Still seems like we would be taking about ounces and not pounds though.

Edited by FinchFan394, October 17, 2012 - 11:15 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FZ1426

Posted October 17, 2012 - 11:43 AM

After moving a 5 pound silencer 5" forward, you'd be able to measure the front/rear weight distribution change with a scale, I expect. Besides no one said that it was done to put weight on the front wheel, only that it moves weight forward, which it unquestionably does. When you're talking about moving weight located behind the CG towards the CG it both centralizes the mass AND moves weight forward, no matter how you want to spin it.

This is the proper way to think about it. It's about weight (or force) in relation to CG that is the crux of the issue with the YZ.

Another way to look at it is with reference to the engine mod.

Using the formula of Weight X Arm = Moment (weight X distance = force) Moving the 70lb. engine forward 2.5 mm equals a moment (force) reference of 175.

Now using an example assuming the "tornado" portion of the exhaust weighs 3 lbs. and is located 6" (150mm)behind the CG and the new pipe layout puts much of that weight 6" forward of the CG you're talking about a change of moment (force about CG) of 3 lbs. X 12" (300mm) = a force reference of 900 where 450 units that were aft of CG are now forward of it.

A big difference. Even more than the engine mod.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 17, 2012 - 12:41 PM

Wow look at what three pounds can do...imagine what your 180# can do moved forward an inch.......
You see this whole wrapping the header around the cylinder reminds of the guys putting CF on their bikes to save weight. I could not drink Coke for a week and probably save double what the CF will.

• FZ1426

Posted October 17, 2012 - 01:27 PM

Wow look at what three pounds can do...imagine what your 180# can do moved forward an inch.......
You see this whole wrapping the header around the cylinder reminds of the guys putting CF on their bikes to save weight. I could not drink Coke for a week and probably save double what the CF will.

Preachin to the choir bro. :cool:

• HRC

Posted October 19, 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hope that Josh Grant and Brayton can give the yz450f some good results ! I cant believe all the crap this great bike gets after Stewarts drama show.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.