2014 YZ450

66 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted October 10, 2012 - 02:09 PM

It runs further from the shock than the current set up. I race/ride motocross with my YZ. There is a WR for your application. I dont want a do all bike. I want a purely race bred motocross bike. Its BS when guys that have no intention of doing moto on the YZ complain about stiff suspension, engines that are too abrupt or too powerful, or oversteer. If you want a kickstand or a headlight and electric start and a low 1st gear get a WR. We are still riding around with an extra 5th gear, actually low 1st gear, because of this. I would much rather have the lighter, narrower, and more durable, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gear 4 speed tranny of the past. That 1st gear is absolutely useless. I dont even use it in the pits!

While your post is arrogant, I pretty much agree, I choose a YZf for offroad racing and not a WR because I want the same things out of it that you do. Recreational riders more than likely would fit a "stock" WR far better than any type of racer be it offroad or MX.

Edited by FinchFan394, October 10, 2012 - 02:19 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2012 - 06:25 PM

That may not be true of the 2012 WR450. Whole different deal.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 11, 2012 - 03:07 PM

Gray I am told you need a new CPU in order to really make the bike go though.

• grayracer513

Posted October 11, 2012 - 04:54 PM

True. And cams. So? Has the suspension, the electricals, the wide ratio box, and it handles.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 11, 2012 - 06:48 PM

Everyone I have talked to loves it...until they lay it over and have to pick it back up.

• HRC

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:41 AM

Cant wait to see pics of this new 2014 yz450 !

• HRC

Posted October 12, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Dubach trying out the new route around the cylinder...

Posted Image
Posted Image

• FZ1426

Posted October 12, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Interesting. I don't really see this reducing heat on the shock much but it is a good way to move a little weight forward...

Plus now you can burn your leg on both sides!

• FinchFan194

Posted October 12, 2012 - 08:42 PM

Interesting. I don't really see this reducing heat on the shock much but it is a good way to move a little weight forward...

Plus now you can burn your leg on both sides!

The goal wouldn't be to move weight forward, but to continue to centralize mass by moving the muffler more toward the middle.

Second you can burn both legs on the '09-current Honda 450s as well.

Edited by FinchFan394, October 12, 2012 - 08:43 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2012 - 08:13 AM

The goal wouldn't be to move weight forward, but to continue to centralize mass by moving the muffler more toward the middle.

Same thing, isn't it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FZ1426

Posted October 13, 2012 - 08:21 AM

Second you can burn both legs on the '09-current Honda 450s as well.

With all the effort people are going through to move the entire engine forward I think moving the weight forward is in fact a primary goal.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:28 PM

With all the effort people are going through to move the entire engine forward I think moving the weight forward is in fact a primary goal.

Maybe to certain people, but Yamaha's goal is to continue to centralize mass, wrapping that header pipe around the cylinder is doing basically zilch to put weight on the front end.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 13, 2012 - 07:33 PM

Same thing, isn't it?

I would say moving the muffler from hanging out the rear side panel to being closer in will the the bike an even lighter feel, and continue to centralize mass. Unless I am missing your point.

• mxbrewski

Posted October 14, 2012 - 06:18 AM

It appears to really move the entire silencer forward. The silencer is completly covered by the side panel in the Transworld picture of it. (Sorry, I saved the pic to my computer but do not know how to post it on a reply)

Edited by mxbrewski, October 14, 2012 - 08:40 AM.

• FZ1426

Posted October 14, 2012 - 07:39 PM

If this mod becomes economically available I'll consider doing it simply because everyone raves about how good a mod moving the engine forward is, ie moving the cg forward.

I won't do the engine mod to my bike because it's too damn good the way it is and it's too big a change in my opinion. But removing the aft mounted "tornado", it's associated heat shield and shifting the weight of that and the head pipe forward (plus a more forward mounted muffler) will shift the cg forward just as moving the engine forward does and will help centralise mass as well.

A very elegant and subtle improvement to an already (arguably) perfect bike.

• thumpinberry

Posted October 16, 2012 - 04:33 PM

we moved both our bikes engines forward and we had to redo the suspension,it totally changes the bike but it makes it turn very well and holds in the rut.makes it a better bike coming out of turns when on the gas.if your a yamaha rider its the way to go unfortunatly a friend let my son ride his 13 honda and now we have three yamahas fore sale.

• Joe_Jet

Posted October 16, 2012 - 05:52 PM

There are new photos of the JGR team testing that new wrap around exhaust routing with a custom FMF system. The silencer is moved forward significantly almost completely hidden behind the side plate. That should have a significant affect on centralizing and moving the CG forward.

• motonack

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hopefully the air fork proves itself on the Crf and kxf so yamaha will see fit to put it on the YZ.

I don't think 2 lbs justifies having to check my forks every single time I want to throw a leg over my bike unless you are some professional trying to earn a living off it. I doubt 2 lbs would even be noticeable even for pros in most cases. Never mind having to put doubt into the seals blowing out over huge jumps.

Edited by MotoNack, October 16, 2012 - 06:09 PM.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 16, 2012 - 06:32 PM

There are new photos of the JGR team testing that new wrap around exhaust routing with a custom FMF system. The silencer is moved forward significantly almost completely hidden behind the side plate. That should have a significant affect on centralizing and moving the CG forward.

How do you figure it moves it forward significantly? Only way it would be significant in my eyes is if the muffler were moved forward past the centerline. Not trying to be a jerk, it's just that your statement makes no sense to me unless the muffler is mounted to the fork. The goal with Yamaha is to centralize mass to give the bike a lighter feel. You move your body forward 1/4" it will like have an exponential affect than a 1/2# header will.

• grayracer513

Posted October 17, 2012 - 07:00 AM

How do you figure it moves it forward significantly? Only way it would be significant in my eyes is if the muffler were moved forward past the centerline. Not trying to be a jerk, it's just that your statement makes no sense to me unless the muffler is mounted to the fork. The goal with Yamaha is to centralize mass to give the bike a lighter feel. You move your body forward 1/4" it will like have an exponential affect than a 1/2# header will.

"Significant" is a subjective word. I don't know about you, but in my mind, moving the muffler (probably 70% of the exhaust system weight) forward 4-5" is significant. In spite of the fact that the muffler hasn't been moved forward of the CG, it has unquestionably moved forward, as well as downward.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.