2014 YZ450

66 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:30 AM

Look at this crazy wrap around exhaust theyre testing! http://cyclenews.com...-yamaha-yz450f/

Hopefully the air fork proves itself on the Crf and kxf so yamaha will see fit to put it on the YZ.

The KXf fork is a single side functioning, and not an air fork...

• arel451

Posted October 06, 2012 - 12:28 PM

The KXf fork is a single side functioning, and not an air fork...

The KXF 450 fork is full air. The RMZ is single side functioning.

• rickallen124

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:47 PM

KXF250 is showa SFF system, KXF450 is KYB pneumatic(air) fork. Sounds like the 14 YZ450 is going to get a new frame, heavily revised anyway, with the motor configuration still the same. I'm going to bet that yamaha will have the kyb air fork then.

• HRC

Posted October 06, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hmm... interesting !

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by HRC, October 06, 2012 - 09:08 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 06, 2012 - 11:15 PM

That's been recently posted. The exhaust wrap-around is intended to end up moving the muffler farther forward and down from the current production position.

If they adopt this, I predict there will be any number of "problems" blamed on exhaust heat at the throttle body, what do you think?

• rr558

Posted October 07, 2012 - 04:45 AM

That's been recently posted. The exhaust wrap-around is intended to end up moving the muffler farther forward and down from the current production position.

If they adopt this, I predict there will be any number of "problems" blamed on exhaust heat at the throttle body, what do you think?

I agree and the exhaust is not the problem with the handling.

• asnyder2

Posted October 07, 2012 - 06:41 AM

I was pondering about the temps affecting electronics likr the coil/coolant sensor. Seems coolant sensor would heat up and contribute to a wrong air/fuel mixture? Also didnt see breather tube for valve cover.

• ron_m

Posted October 07, 2012 - 07:25 AM

My local dealer said no rumors heard on his end. Speaking of the Honda, it gained 5 poundsd and went to that 2007 CR250F dual exhaust. Why oh why? Wonder how Yamaha will spin the marketing and PR if it goes back to "normal".

I am very curious to see if Yamaha goes back to a traditional type cylinder configuration with the new YZ450F. The Honda CRF250R had the dual exhaust system on the 2006-2009 model year bikes. I had a 2007 model with a dual Yoshimura exhaust system the previous owner had purchased for the bike. Talk about a conversation piece. I was always amazed by the number of riders I met that just loved that bike's dual exhaust system. People seem to either love the dual exhaust on those model year Hondas or view it as being nothing more than a marketing gimmick and an added expense for packing materials, etc.

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2012 - 08:53 AM

I was pondering about the temps affecting electronics likr the coil/coolant sensor. Seems coolant sensor would heat up and contribute to a wrong air/fuel mixture? Also didnt see breather tube for valve cover.

The under hood temps of modern cars often exceed 400 degrees, far higher than the throttle body of the bike will ever see. And the bike spends 99% of it's time moving, with cold air running over the front of the engine. Besides, having the exhaust run an inch from the carb or throttle body on a conventional layout hasn't been a problem, so why would it affect this one?

• asnyder2

Posted October 07, 2012 - 01:47 PM

Guess u got a point. Never thought of it that way. My simple mind pictured as still not necessarily moving.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cjs133

Posted October 07, 2012 - 03:43 PM

its not going back to the traditional cylinder, it will run air forks, it will be narrower, 2014 is a new bike/revamp.

• Joe_Jet

Posted October 07, 2012 - 05:15 PM

Exciting stuff. Bet my power tuner will work on the new one too.

• FZ1426

Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:23 AM

I'm looking forward to it. None of the new bikes are exciting me enough for me to make a switch, especially after a great day at the track and a reminder this bike rocks. :thumbsup:

As far as the the wideness issue goes, the '06-'08 CRF's were (and some would say still are) a benchmark in ergonomics and current design standards. My '11 YZ is 1/2" narrower at the pegs and only 1" wider at tip of the radiator shrouds/air intake than my '06 CRF.

The perceived width is just a visual thing as the air intakes occupy an area that on other bikes is empty space. Makes it seem wider and heavier but it's not. I have found it's best not to be looking down there while engaging in moto. It tends to be hazardous to your health. :cool:

• YHGEORGE

Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:31 AM

The exhaust routing will affect the temp of the shock to a negative degree. And especially for offroad riders who use the bike for hours at a time in relatively slow conditions with limited air movement. It was stupid for Husaberg and will be stupid for Yamaha.

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2012 - 08:49 AM

The exhaust routing will affect the temp of the shock to a negative degree. ...

Not.

• Joe_Jet

Posted October 08, 2012 - 06:33 PM

The exhaust routing will affect the temp of the shock to a negative degree. And especially for offroad riders who use the bike for hours at a time in relatively slow conditions with limited air movement. It was stupid for Husaberg and will be stupid for Yamaha.

It runs further from the shock than the current set up. I race/ride motocross with my YZ. There is a WR for your application. I dont want a do all bike. I want a purely race bred motocross bike. Its BS when guys that have no intention of doing moto on the YZ complain about stiff suspension, engines that are too abrupt or too powerful, or oversteer. If you want a kickstand or a headlight and electric start and a low 1st gear get a WR. We are still riding around with an extra 5th gear, actually low 1st gear, because of this. I would much rather have the lighter, narrower, and more durable, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gear 4 speed tranny of the past. That 1st gear is absolutely useless. I dont even use it in the pits!

Edited by Joe_Jet, October 08, 2012 - 06:35 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2012 - 06:41 AM

We are still riding around with an extra 5th gear, actually low 1st gear, because of this. I would much rather have the lighter, narrower, and more durable, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gear 4 speed tranny of the past. That 1st gear is absolutely useless. I dont even use it in the pits!

The 4 speed wouldn't cure that. The first three gear ratios in the current 5 speed are functionally identical to the first three in the '03-'05 4 speed. The only difference is that in the 5 speed, 4th is a little lower than 4th in the 4 speed, and 5th is a little higher. If your low gear is that useless, it's probably because you've installed lower overall gearing on the bike.

The idea that the 4 speed was any tougher or weaker than the 5 speed is somewhat debatable as well.

• Joe_Jet

Posted October 09, 2012 - 04:20 PM

The 4 speed wouldn't cure that. The first three gear ratios in the current 5 speed are functionally identical to the first three in the '03-'05 4 speed. The only difference is that in the 5 speed, 4th is a little lower than 4th in the 4 speed, and 5th is a little higher. If your low gear is that useless, it's probably because you've installed lower overall gearing on the bike.

The idea that the 4 speed was any tougher or weaker than the 5 speed is somewhat debatable as well.

Im running the stock gearing. The 4 speed would definitely be lighter and narrower. I believe the 03-05 had a higher final drive ratio. However, I do remember hitting the rev limiter in 4th on the 03 when we had long paved sections in some of the GP races and never hit the rev limiter in 5th on the 07 or 11.

Edited by Joe_Jet, October 09, 2012 - 04:24 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2012 - 08:56 PM

The ratio change in the primary drive occurred in '05, but the ratio of the chain set was altered to match, and there was no net difference in overall gearing until '06, when the bike added a tooth at the rear. On the '10, they took it back off.

Weight? Eh. Maybe, but barely. The 4 speed gears were slightly wider, and the trans was the same width as the WR 5 speed. The '06+ trans is 12mm wider, but that's not detectable from outside.

As far as the rev limiter thing goes, I know. I had an '03. With stock gearing, it was easy to bang it off the limiter in 4th, but not when it was geared higher. I ran gearing 5% higher than stock most of the time, and that made it much harder to top all the way out. With the 5 speed, the stock 5th is 10% higher the stock 4 speed 4th, so it's not too big a surprise that hitting the rev limiter is harder. Either way, it remains true that low gear in both is the same.

There are things to love about the 4 speed, and they still have their fans, but I like the 5.

• Joe_Jet

Posted October 10, 2012 - 04:42 AM

3 speed then like Ferry ran. Pure MX bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.