2014 YZ450

66 replies to this topic
  • Joe_Jet

Posted September 02, 2012 - 05:05 PM

Any info on this new bike rumored to be released early, mid 2013? Only info Ive heard is some of the Yami teams have been mentioning it as a carrot to entice riders to sign for 2013 season.

• rickallen124

Posted September 02, 2012 - 07:44 PM

Nothing concrete, just the rumor that they will go back to the traditional layout . Possible early release or limited edition in early spring to have the bike legal for the '13 outdoor season.

• HRC

Posted September 03, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Its all about rumours at this point, if Yamaha doesnt sign any big name on one of their teams for 2013 I highly doubt they will make an early release of the 2014 bike.

But let say they actually do get a top guy signed then we will probably get to see pics of the new bike as early as april/may 2013

Edited by HRC, September 03, 2012 - 12:18 PM.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 03, 2012 - 01:16 PM

I was told the engine configuration will remain and an all new chassis will be built.

• rjcook450

Posted September 03, 2012 - 02:49 PM

yep heard same thing, same engine, but using the 2012 wr450 frame, which is the yz250f frame, but i also heard it was going to be all new, engine, and frame, so who knows. JGR was trying to entice Dean Wilson over saying it was all new bike and it would be a 2013.5 release, like ktm did for Dungey to be leagal.

• rickallen124

Posted September 03, 2012 - 04:58 PM

I was told the engine configuration will remain and an all new chassis will be built.

That's possible. I've heard that they can't get the current frame to work at the pro level, welding plates to the inside of the frame to try to stiffen it etc. I keep hearing that the frame flexes too much when the rider is too aggressive or when the engine hp increases the handling suffers. Seems that the smoother the rider the better the bike works.
Unfortunately it has a bad rep at the pro level so we will see what happens.

Edited by rickallen124, September 03, 2012 - 05:02 PM.

• Joe_Jet

Posted September 05, 2012 - 11:37 PM

That's possible. I've heard that they can't get the current frame to work at the pro level, welding plates to the inside of the frame to try to stiffen it etc. I keep hearing that the frame flexes too much when the rider is too aggressive or when the engine hp increases the handling suffers. Seems that the smoother the rider the better the bike works.
Unfortunately it has a bad rep at the pro level so we will see what happens.

Blame Stewart for that. But, now that he has landed on his head more than not on the RMZ the YZ has been cleared. Millsaps and Izzi are doing well on it.

• motojase316

Posted September 20, 2012 - 02:55 AM

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am very keen for more info.

• qwert321

Posted September 22, 2012 - 05:43 AM

I was talking to the sales manager at my local shop yesterday and he told me he ordered a small amount yamahas in July and went to make his october order and they told him production had stopped on 2013 so he could not get anymore. So looks like early release for 2014 bikes in spring.

• Joe_Jet

Posted September 22, 2012 - 10:19 AM

Awesome. Hope they keep the configuration and just refine and lighten the bike. Now that the Honda has picked up a couple pounds the YZ is pretty close to being the lightest 450 now. I Love my 11 and when it gets time to replace I cant imagine getting anything else.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motomike1000

Posted September 24, 2012 - 06:54 PM

What's the nitty gritty on the handling question mark on this bike?is it valid?

• FZ1426

Posted September 25, 2012 - 09:03 AM

What's the nitty gritty on the handling question mark on this bike?is it valid?

If you look back at the supercross season James Stewart rode the bike he qualified the fastest lap time of just about every (if not every) race he entered.

That pretty much vindicates the bike.

The fact that he crashes out of races is not the bikes fault. His brain is scrambled from too many concussions. He's not able to cope with the stresses of an actual race anymore. His judgement is impared and he rides above his ability. Unfortunately for Yamaha that tarnished the reputation of a really great bike.

He was quoted as saying "I can't tell what the bike is doing". He obviously can't tell what the Suzuki is doing either. You can't crash that hard that many times and retain the same mental characteristics forever. I suspect his championship days are over.

The bike handles great.

• YamaLink

Posted September 26, 2012 - 07:09 AM

My local dealer said no rumors heard on his end. Speaking of the Honda, it gained 5 poundsd and went to that 2007 CR250F dual exhaust. Why oh why? Wonder how Yamaha will spin the marketing and PR if it goes back to "normal".

• motomike1000

Posted October 01, 2012 - 03:18 AM

Thanks fz

• rr558

Posted October 01, 2012 - 04:20 PM

My local dealer said no rumors heard on his end. Speaking of the Honda, it gained 5 poundsd and went to that 2007 CR250F dual exhaust. Why oh why? Wonder how Yamaha will spin the marketing and PR if it goes back to "normal".

The Honda only gained 2lbs. and yes that shitty dual exhaust but until Yammie goes back to a traditional design I'm staying on red or yellow. The yz feels 20lbs. heavier than my 11 Honda and 10ft. wider. I do like the clutch and motor better though but the honda handles way better.

• JLB943

Posted October 01, 2012 - 05:10 PM

I really feel like the handling issue is non-existent. I got a 2011 about two months ago and I love it. I was riding yesterday on the little turn track I have setup behind my house and it whips right around and it feels really light. The only place I have had it feel a little strange is on an uphill turn on the track it didn't want to track, kept drifting, but that is probably operator error. If the Honda is way more agile than this bike, I have to try one.

• Joe_Jet

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:42 PM

My 11 handles killer and the suspension is great. I hope they keep the engine configuration. I wont mind if they narrow up the shrouds, but im used to it. The KYB air fork would be cool for adjustability, performance, and 2 lb weight savings.

• Joe_Jet

Posted October 04, 2012 - 11:03 PM

Look at this crazy wrap around exhaust theyre testing! http://cyclenews.com...-yamaha-yz450f/

Hopefully the air fork proves itself on the Crf and kxf so yamaha will see fit to put it on the YZ.

• HRC

Posted October 05, 2012 - 09:03 AM

Latest from Steve Matthes twitter:

"@pulpmx: There is indeed a new 2014 Yamaha YZF 450 coming out, it will have same backward motor but major chassis changes to help out. Stamp this"

• FinchFan194

Posted October 06, 2012 - 08:27 AM

Latest from Steve Matthes twitter:

"@pulpmx: There is indeed a new 2014 Yamaha YZF 450 coming out, it will have same backward motor but major chassis changes to help out. Stamp this"

Yup

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.