Suzuki

95 king quad 300, loads up and dies

12 replies to this topic
  • wvhunter

Posted September 02, 2012 - 12:25 PM

so my buddies king quad is hard to start and when it does start it sputters around and coughs black smoke. vacume fuel pump? gave it to a guy to fix and the guy cleaned the carb 20 times... i say its pointless... if it dosent get clean after the second time it aint gona get clean... so i keep saying vacume fuel pump... what do you all think it could be?

• BazookaJoe

Posted September 02, 2012 - 12:45 PM

I have the 2001 KQ 300, and I don't believe it has a fuel pump. But- it does have a vacuum powered shut off system on the fuel valve. This shut off valve will activate (allow fuel to flow) when the engine pulls a vacuum load on the valve, and then allows fuel to flow from the tank. This is an automatic fuel shut off system.

If this vacuum diaphragm develops a tear, fuel will flow thru the diaphragm and then flow to the intake manifold, creating a wildly rich running condition. You get the idea....

So- if your buddy's KQ has two lines going to the shut off valve, figure out which goes to the engine manifold somewhere (vacuum line) and which flows fuel to the carb. Disconnect the vacuum line (or just clamp it with a pliers/vicegrip/etc and see if the flooding problem goes away (for a short time b/c the engine will run out of fuel).

If this seems to be the case, you have two repair options:
a) Clamp off the vacuum line and install an aftermarket shut off in the fuel line (get one of those five dollar plastic small engine shut offs). Or-
b.) Replace the shut off. But be warned it's not exactly a cheap part- about $100 retail. Maybe it's worth it though?

Hope this helps.

Edited by BazookaJoe, September 02, 2012 - 12:48 PM.

• wvhunter

Posted September 03, 2012 - 03:38 AM

ok thank you... you are talking about the petcock below the fuel tank to stop the fuel flow right? it has on off reserve?

• BazookaJoe

Posted September 03, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Yes, the fuel shut off under the tank. Verify if it has "on-off-reserve", or does it have "on-pri-res". If the "on-pri-res", then look for a vacuum line coming to the shut off valve. The Zuke online parts shows that your model might have the vacuum shut off (it's semi-confusing in the parts listings).. If not vacuum line and only fuel line, then you have a plain old shut off valve, and my previous post does not apply to your problem. If plain old shut off, then I have other questions/suggestions for you.

You say it blows black smoke. Check the oil level and see if the level is too high. (just tilt the machine to the left while you look at the sight glass on the RH side of the tranny. If you had carb flooding issues in the past, gas could have over-filled the crankcase and the engine can then suck oil up into the air box. Your machine will run like crap when this happens.

Also, did the engine flood while sitting still with the gas turned on, or did you turn the gas off every time the machine was sitting idle? Something I saw on my dad's old 1993 LT250F, was that the carb corroded around the needle and seat and gas would leak around the needle/seat, rather than thru the needle like we would normally expect.

Try starting the machine, then shut off the gas and go for a short ride. See if the engine perfoms ok until the carb gets low, of course.

Hope this helps and we can get to the root of your ATV's problem.

• wvhunter

Posted September 22, 2012 - 08:49 AM

he took it to suzuki and they put a new petcock on it... now its acting dumb again...

• nsman

Posted October 11, 2012 - 06:27 AM

Suzuki king quads are pretty bullutproof.
Fisrt replace the spark plug with a new ngk dr7ea,next make sure there is no fuel in the motor oil,if it has not been changed recently do it now..10w 40 ..also check your airfilter,clean and service if dirty.
Lift the seat and disconnect the fuel line from the pump to the carb,try to start the machine,if the fuel exits the fuel line in a steady stream the pump is good.(use a container to except the fuel from the hose.. dont want a fire).If the fuel flow is a dribble replace with a new pump
Next disconnect the vacum line from the petcock to the intake if there is fuel in the line it is leaking,replace the tap.You can block the line and run it on prime to see if this makes the machine run correctly,if so, same result replace tap.
If this machine has not had regular maintenance it is common that the intake valve receeds into the head,adjust the intake valve,if the problem disappears great,if the problem returns in a week or so and the valve needs to be readjusted you need a new valve and seat service.

good luck

Edited by nsman, October 11, 2012 - 06:28 AM.

• JustRandy

Posted October 17, 2012 - 03:16 PM

You guys still around? I just got a 300 4x4 with the vacuum petcock. Oil is full of gas like was said here. Of course I cleaned the carb like crazy before figuring out its not the carb. The high oil level kinda tipped me off a little lol. Anyway, the carb is set per what the manual says (4th clip from top on needle and 2 5/8 turns out on mixture screw, both seem odd to me, but that's what the book says). My carb has 2 vacuum attachments at the top. One is plastic and one is metal. I'm not sure which goes where. Seems to run better with the metal one connected to the fuel pump and leaving the other one open to vent the slide diaphragm. I tried plugging it, but it didn't run well. My questions are:

1) where are the metal and plastic connectors supposed to go?

2) Does the petcock pump fuel to the fuel pump? Sure seems like it would because of the vacuum pulses. And I can't get the thing to run right no matter what I do. Sometimes it needs the choke to run and sometimes the choke chokes it. There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Bulletproof my ass! I haven't had it long, but seems to me I'm reliant on 3 thin pieces of rubber not to leave me stranded on top of a mountain somewhere. What can I do to make this more reliable?

• wvhunter

Posted October 30, 2012 - 02:49 PM

problem has been solved.... petcock was bad and then after he replaced that it stared doin it again and they put a new air intake boot because old one was cracked... problem is solved guys thanks for the help

• Headwound

Posted April 21, 2013 - 10:08 AM

I have a 2000 Suzuki King quad 300 cc and had all those same issues and it turned out I had a tear in my petcock diaphragm. So I replaced it $110. And after that it still bogs down 10 seconds after a perfect start while revving. The mechanic hooked his boost box up to my battery and my quad ran fine. He told me it was my old battery not working properly. It was an old battery so I went and bought a new one and brought it home and put it in and the bike still does the same thing. So I use my multi meter to test the battery and I had a full charge then I started the bike and the alternator charged the battery up another volt or so so I knew the alternator is working properly but then after leaving the multi meter on the battery the volts went up to 17.2 before I removed the tester. I need help finding out why this would happen does anybody have any answers???

• JustRandy

Posted April 23, 2013 - 04:26 PM

I have a 2000 Suzuki King quad 300 cc and had all those same issues and it turned out I had a tear in my petcock diaphragm. So I replaced it $110. And after that it still bogs down 10 seconds after a perfect start while revving. The mechanic hooked his boost box up to my battery and my quad ran fine. He told me it was my old battery not working properly. It was an old battery so I went and bought a new one and brought it home and put it in and the bike still does the same thing. So I use my multi meter to test the battery and I had a full charge then I started the bike and the alternator charged the battery up another volt or so so I knew the alternator is working properly but then after leaving the multi meter on the battery the volts went up to 17.2 before I removed the tester. I need help finding out why this would happen does anybody have any answers???

Yes. The regulator is bad. Common problem on these quads.

• Headwound

Posted April 23, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thank you for the response. I'll have to check into that . Where is it located? Is it part of the alternator or is it a separate piece? Thanks again

• JustRandy

Posted April 26, 2013 - 05:13 PM

At the very front under the handlebars. Little box with fins and wires coming out.

• Headwound

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:19 AM

Thank you just Randy it's been broke down for two years and now is running like a top again!!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.