04 wr450 wiring woes

5 replies to this topic
  • ryno29

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:57 AM

Hi guys-

I am re-doing the wiring on an 04 wr450f. Had a Baja Designs kit on it, hackjob. Returning everything to stock. Behind the front headlight, on the right side (looking at the bike) are two connectors. One has two black wires coming out the top, the other a black/white stripe, and a green/ yellow stripe. The black/black connector is on the outside. Any help as to where these 4 wires go would be greatly appreciated, as the factory wiring diagram leaves much to be desired.

• mtahoe

Posted September 01, 2012 - 08:14 AM

Go to sticky section and download pdf file that will show you all wire diagrams.. goodluck!!

• ryno29

Posted September 01, 2012 - 12:41 PM

After going through the stickys or "pinned" threads, no mention of a pdf file, or a diagram. I've got the factory manual for the bike, but the diagram in there is basic, and doesn't show pathways. Anybody have a stock 04 they don't mind taking a picture of the wiring behind the front headlight?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtahoe

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:54 PM

Its under WR performance index download save to computer and you have the wire diagram all color coded... good luck!!!

• zibbit u2

Posted September 01, 2012 - 10:43 PM

Hi guys-

I am re-doing the wiring on an 04 wr450f. Had a Baja Designs kit on it, hackjob. Returning everything to stock. Behind the front headlight, on the right side (looking at the bike) are two connectors. One has two black wires coming out the top, the other a black/white stripe, and a green/ yellow stripe. The black/black connector is on the outside. Any help as to where these 4 wires go would be greatly appreciated, as the factory wiring diagram leaves much to be desired.

The 4 connectors on your harness behind the headlight connect to;

-Start switch (2 wire, Blue/Red & Blue/Black)
-Kill switch (2 wire, Black & Black/White)
-Clutch switch (2 wire, Black & Blue/Yellow)
-Ignition switch (4 wire, Brown, Black, Red, Red/Black)

Then obviously you've got the headlight connector. Which is a 2 wire setup (Yellow & Black)

It is possible that the sheilding has faded. I would start by chasing the wire and figure out where the other end of that wire connects to.

• ryno29

Posted September 03, 2012 - 08:29 AM

After chasing down a factory kill switch, and factory light switch, I am on the way. I still have no light on the main ignition switch when the battery is hooked up, and no power from the main starter relay. I just put new relays (both of them) in, as well as new fuses. I've checked the wiring, nothing is pinched. I've disconnected the clutch switch at the connector, does that disable it, or is there something more I need to do? I have a ZipTy blockoff plate on order. My next step is to put on new diodes (both of them) and then go from there. Any suggestions??

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.