Classic metal in filter thread

12 replies to this topic
  • lit549

Posted August 31, 2012 - 07:49 PM

Well, ive found alot on this but ust cant find the answer i want,..zplease lie to me and tell me engine is ok..Its 09 yz 450.Been finding some metal in pamy stainless oil filter..They are not just fine dusty pieces these are larger pieces like 1 mm or 2 long and smaller stuff.Its metal as it sticka to mag screw driver ..I change the oil with amsoil 20/50 every 3-4 rides and filter evert 3rd time..Any good news? ??Dam..

• crf450319

Posted September 01, 2012 - 05:53 AM

The good news is that you've noticed something is wrong before a catastrophic failure occured. I'd think a teardown is in order to try and find out where it's coming from.

I'm sure grayracer513 will chime in, he'll have a better idea as to possible culprits than I..

• lit549

Posted September 01, 2012 - 09:19 AM

Cool,appreciate it..I hope its not bad,bikes been super dependable..

• Schpenxel

Posted September 03, 2012 - 11:01 AM

Post some pictures if you can

• lit549

Posted September 04, 2012 - 05:54 AM

I seriuosly want to,cant fig out how on here? Most sites have a tab where ya can "manage" media?

• lit549

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:52 PM

Heres vid of the shavings,best i could do..Its a shame it easier to post vids than pics on here..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lit549

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Heres another..Does engine sound normal??

• Schpenxel

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:58 PM

I can't really tell to be honest. They sure as heck aren't quiet engines, even in perfect shape, so it's hard to say.

Mine isn't any quieter--so hopefully yours (and mine for that matter) are both fine

Edited by Schpenxel, September 05, 2012 - 04:58 PM.

• lit549

Posted September 05, 2012 - 06:24 PM

Ya,they are noisy for sure..I guess well find out,cause i cant rebuild it right now..Hell its only got about 60hrs on it?

• grayracer513

Posted September 05, 2012 - 08:33 PM

... it (is) easier to post vids than pics on here..

The process is exactly the same as the one you used to post the video; put the picture on a photo host and link to it with a button on the editor toolbar.

• BBrown626

Posted September 06, 2012 - 07:40 PM

How hard do you ride it?
It may be the drive dogs on the sides fo the gears. They tend to wear fairly fast. You will know when they wear too much because it will start slipping out of gear and feel like a clutch slipping. What that happens you have to replace the associated shifting fork too.
Did you see a similar amount of particles in the past or did you not pay attention? Did you just change to a metal filter?

• lit549

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:04 PM

How hard do you ride it?
It may be the drive dogs on the sides fo the gears. They tend to wear fairly fast. You will know when they wear too much because it will start slipping out of gear and feel like a clutch slipping. What that happens you have to replace the associated shifting fork too.
Did you see a similar amount of particles in the past or did you not pay attention? Did you just change to a metal filter?

NA man,ive had metal filter in since i bought the bike..And its always had a small amount of metal ,just dont remember it being that much..IDK,from what ive read ,alot of people say its normal for a yamaha? With it sharing oil with trans and clutch..Hell idk..

• Schpenxel

Posted September 08, 2012 - 05:41 PM

I can say that everytime I've changed my oil there has been some metal in it.. I don't really know if yours is anything to worry about

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.