oil filter

5 replies to this topic
  • etuke

Posted August 29, 2012 - 03:57 PM

I bought a new stainless reusable oil filter and changed the oil tonight but the new filter only has 1 rubber gasket.The paper one has 2,one on the back too.The new filter fit into the the casing and locked into place,guess the diameter was perfect for the round groove in the casing.The cover went on snug and the bolts drew the cover tight to the casing so I know it fitting tight to the filter.So do it need the rear rubber gasket or not?I also put back about 1.6 ltrs of oil and ran the bike for a couple minutes(header turned orange)and it shows over full on the stick,its circulating cause the oil warmed and the return line to the tank warmed,how much are these bikes supposed to take?I thought 1.7 with filter change 1.6 without.

EDIT:After reading some I find It should only be 1.5 without filter and 1.6 with filter and after looking at the oil bottle I have overfilled by about 75-100ml,is this going to be a problem?

Edited by etuke, August 29, 2012 - 04:10 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2012 - 04:30 PM

None of the stainless filters have the base pad on the closed end because they don't need it to make the open end seal correctly; they are rigid enough to compress the seal without the extra help. The closed end does not seal against anything, anyway.

Over filling a 426 by that much won't hurt anything. Where is it on the stick?

• etuke

Posted August 29, 2012 - 05:01 PM

from what I saw tonight it was about 1/2 inch above the full mark but the oil was full of tiny bubbles so I'm thinking its showing high anyways,this is without screwing in the dipstick.I put a full ltr in and over 600ml of the 2nd maybe 650.Tomorrow I will check it again as it was dark tonight and was using a flashlight,plus clean oil is hard to see.How long do I need to run the engine to get a good reading?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2012 - 07:45 PM

The oil is full of tiny bubbles because it was pumped out of the engine faster than it went in. Your bike is a dry sump system. There are two oil pumps, one to feed oil from the frame to the crank, etc., and a second one to pump it back from the bottom end to the frame. By design, the return pump, also called a scavenging pump, moves oil almost twice as fast as the feed pump can. This is done so that no matter how fast the oil accumulates in the sump, it will be returned to the tank faster. That results in a lot of slurping at the sump screen, and air being pumped into the line along with the oil.

The depth from the top of the tank, where the return line dumps, to the oil pick up at the bottom of the tank allows the air plenty of time to separate before going back to work.

• etuke

Posted August 30, 2012 - 02:57 AM

if thats the case overfilling the tank shouldn't affect the engine at all,maybe a lil at first start if some of the oil bleeds from the tank to the cases

• grayracer513

Posted August 30, 2012 - 07:35 AM

In cases with dry sump systems where there is room in the oil tank for the excess, overfilling doesn't matter. However, in units like the '06 and later 450, where the tank (built into the engine cases) simply will not hold more than the listed capacity, the overfill is forced out of the tank by the incoming return oil from the sump. If the tank were vented to the atmosphere as it would have been in the sixties, it would just be blown out on the ground, but the vent from the tank runs back to the crankcase now, so it just gets shoved back into the engine, where it gets in the way of the crank, and ends up being blown out the breather most times. Not really harmful, but messy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.