wanting to lower the seat height on my RMZ.

5 replies to this topic
  • New to 4S-Joe

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hey guys,
I'm looking to lower the seat height on my 2011 Suzuki RMZ 450, so it's a little easier to kick start for me if I stall it and am in an awkward spot. I'm 5'9",but have noticed it can be hard to get a good kick if on an off-camber. The easiest thing I guess would be to shave the seat, but what else can be done and what companies offer these services? I think Pro-circuit and PR2 racing make lowering links, but how do they effect the bike beside (as far as handling) lowering the rear? Anyone have any experience in these products or can point me in the right direction is much appreciated!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike662b

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

Hey guys,
I'm looking to lower the seat height on my 2011 Suzuki RMZ 450, so it's a little easier to kick start for me if I stall it and am in an awkward spot. I'm 5'9",but have noticed it can be hard to get a good kick if on an off-camber. The easiest thing I guess would be to shave the seat, but what else can be done and what companies offer these services? I think Pro-circuit and PR2 racing make lowering links, but how do they effect the bike beside (as far as handling) lowering the rear? Anyone have any experience in these products or can point me in the right direction is much appreciated!

A guy I race with has a lowering link on the rear and then has fork tubes raised up in triple clamps to lower the front end and match the rear. Thats the easiest thing to do and easy to put back to stock. Shaving the seat also helps. Otherwise I know a few girls in our club that sent in their 250's to have the suspension modded so the bike sits 2-3" lower then stock. That obvisouly cost more and is a more permanent fix.

• wydopen

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

have your subframe lowered 10mm...

• New to 4S-Joe

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

wydopen, who does that?

• SkinnyOne

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

I never like shaving the seat. I agree it's a cheap solution, but you reduce the padding and make the contact patch (where your backside contacts the bike) wider, which in turn opens your legs more and reduces your reach to the ground.

I'm 5'8", have about a 30-31" inseam and ride an RMZ450. I'm just going to live with the height and get better at getting one foot down when I need to. That said, I do fall over often when I get caught off guard. But I installed bark busters and rad guards to make sure I don't break as much when I do.

• wydopen

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

wydopen, who does that?

any welder/fabrication shop should be able to do it...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.