Snorkel Removal on WR450 - Is it really worth it ?

19 replies to this topic
  • xsmilinx

Posted August 28, 2012 - 05:29 AM

Hey All,

Looking over the free MODS I can do to my 2011 WRF450.

Does removing the snorkel really make a difference in power?
I have a friend who rides a KTM - He rode through a boghole and got mud/water into the airbox via the gap between the rear fender and the seat, ended sucking it up and needing a rebuild. I don't believe they have a snorkel and heard it's quite common for this to happen?

I'd be worried the same thing could happen as removing the snorkel opens the holes right up.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

Edited by xsmilinx, August 28, 2012 - 05:31 AM.

• DrFeelGood

Posted August 28, 2012 - 06:30 AM

I looked at taking mine out of the 08. It looked like a push as far as the amount of air the snorkel was restricting. I decided the potential damage of water in the engine was not worth the slight increase in air flow. Now if it was a 40%-50% improvement, I'd have taken it out.

Getting a good header/pipe and rejetting made all the difference in the world. It was a completly different machine.

• Bandit9

Posted August 28, 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yes, pull it out, do the rest of free mods, rejet, and put a good silencer on it. There is no potential problems with removing the snorkel, if you dunk the bike, water is going in there regardless.

• Taxgod4u

Posted August 28, 2012 - 12:20 PM

I not only removed the rubber snorks but also the plastic top they were connected to. It is now about a 400%++ increase. The plate is the width of the air box and about 3 inches tall. Had three sheet metal screws if I recall. Have to watch that I don't suck a low flying bird in there...

• xsmilinx

Posted August 28, 2012 - 04:28 PM

I looked at taking mine out of the 08. It looked like a push as far as the amount of air the snorkel was restricting. I decided the potential damage of water in the engine was not worth the slight increase in air flow. Now if it was a 40%-50% improvement, I'd have taken it out.

Getting a good header/pipe and rejetting made all the difference in the world. It was a completly different machine.

I agree. If it was a massive increase in power I would remove it - but for only a small increase I think i'll keep it in.

Yes, pull it out, do the rest of free mods, rejet, and put a good silencer on it. There is no potential problems with removing the snorkel, if you dunk the bike, water is going in there regardless.

I understand if you dunk the bike waters going to go in regardless, it's more about water/mud draining off the rear fender straight down into the airbox if you happen to make a big splash :)

I'm probably just paranoid - these unlikely events seem to always happen to me lol.

• AKmud

Posted August 28, 2012 - 05:19 PM

There is a drain in the bottom of the airbox to catch and drain that stuff. Keep it open and check it often, you shouldn't have any problems. I've ingested water in several machines with no ill effects. I am guessing your buddy tried to start/run his bike without properly draining it. When water gets on top of the cylinder it hydro locks since you can't compress a liquid. If your buddy tried to start it, things like valves will bend and break.

He likely got water in the oil as well which filled the case too full and started blowing seals or at least started rusting bearings and other important parts.

If you swim a bike -

1 - drain the carb
2 - drain the airbox
3 - check the oil level to make sure it isn't full of water
4 - pull the spark plug and turn the engine over till water stops coming out of the cylinder
5 - put it back together and let her rip.

Likely you will have to run it on choke for a few minutes until the water clears out of the carb. Ease the throttle on (it will usually die with any throttle at first) until you can get enough RPM to ride.

2 - strokes are easier yet (no engine oil to mess with)

• Bandit9

Posted August 28, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Paranoia is the word....

Why do you think Yamaha details the removal of all this Emissions junk (grey wire, snorkel, exhaust baffles, etc)in the AIS removal kit?

Do what you want, but I enjoy having my motor run like it is supposed to. It starts so much better, runs clean, throttle response is instant (especially with stiffer AP spring) and is easier to ride. This is with everything done, not just removing snorkel and nothing else.

• Bandit9

Posted August 28, 2012 - 05:44 PM

As far as a "big splash" or mud coming off the fender goes, this is crazy. You should see what we do to our bikes, you would have a heart attack.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 28, 2012 - 06:22 PM

Wait just a minute! The original OP is from Australia! They don't even have water over there!!! :thumbsup:
Maniac

• Bandit9

Posted August 28, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Speaking of water, I'm in the middle of a hurricane right now. Water every where!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xsmilinx

Posted August 28, 2012 - 08:15 PM

Wait just a minute! The original OP is from Australia! They don't even have water over there!!! :thumbsup:
Maniac

hah! :thumbsup:

Paranoia is the word....

Why do you think Yamaha details the removal of all this Emissions junk (grey wire, snorkel, exhaust baffles, etc)in the AIS removal kit?

Do what you want, but I enjoy having my motor run like it is supposed to. It starts so much better, runs clean, throttle response is instant (especially with stiffer AP spring) and is easier to ride. This is with everything done, not just removing snorkel and nothing else.

Good point!

I'll give it a shot and do all the mods.. probably should have waited to Jet my bike now :banghead:

• Bandit9

Posted August 28, 2012 - 11:56 PM

Since you are going back in the carb, get the Merge AP Spring or other similar brand. Mine was $5 at Cycle Gear. This little wonderful idea will put a smile on your face. This and a more free airflow w/clean jetting will give you positive control of the motor. It has enhanced my riding and has really allowed me to gel with the 450 in the woods. It's a more natural throttle response, 2-stroke like in a way, with no lag. The bike handles better as a result. More athletic, ready to act on what you see in front of you. Bike feels lighter and I believe safer too!

Edited by Bandit9, August 28, 2012 - 11:58 PM.

• xsmilinx

Posted August 29, 2012 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Bandit,

Does this do the same thing the O-Ring mod does?

If so - I'm curious if this can be done with the carb still in the bike?

Or am I way off.. :p

Edited by xsmilinx, August 29, 2012 - 04:52 AM.

• Bandit9

Posted August 29, 2012 - 05:40 AM

Yes it does, but replacing the stock AP spring with a stiffer one is route I would go. O rings stretch, tear, and break. So stiffer spring is a better long term solution to me. Considering your paranoia, (just picking)I suspect you would prefer the spring.

• xsmilinx

Posted August 29, 2012 - 05:59 AM

haha :lol:

Spring it is.

Appreciate the advise.

• matthewbosworth

Posted September 01, 2012 - 12:34 PM

removing the snorkel will let in more dirt/dust/sand/leaves/etc. clogging up your air filter. any gain will be canceled out with a dirtier air filter as soon as you hit the trail a few times.

• Bandit9

Posted September 01, 2012 - 01:52 PM

You couldn't be more wrong.

• MANIAC998

Posted September 01, 2012 - 03:47 PM

removing the snorkel will let in more dirt/dust/sand/leaves/etc. clogging up your air filter. any gain will be canceled out with a dirtier air filter as soon as you hit the trail a few times.

WHAT? :jawdrop:

WOW! :rolleyes:

I don't even know what else to say!

• MaxPower

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:01 PM

can't help but feel the snorkel isn't there to keep water out as much as it is there to restrict sound.

• VinceDC

Posted September 01, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Just a little info. on the KTM . I believe since around 2002 KTM has had side access the the air filter that does not seal well . This allows water in at a much lower level than the WR even with the snorkel removed.

Edited by VinceDC, September 01, 2012 - 07:56 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.