2012 drz400s fmf q-4 full exhaust hlp

8 replies to this topic
  • tylerslj

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:15 PM

I am going to be purching the fmf q-4 full exhaust soon and was wondering about proper jetting .... bike will be kept stock ( No 3x3 mod ) because i was told it would voide warranty . will either use jd jet kit or dynojet kit and my elevation is 0-1000.

Would really appreciate the help been looking through posts for hours ....

• tylerslj

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:34 PM

I forgot to mention the temperature is from 20-35 celcious in summer and humidity can get high sometimes but normally around 50% would be an educated guess

• William1

Posted August 27, 2012 - 05:29 AM

It will not void the warranty. You have to do a jet kit. You would be foolish to not also do the 3X3.
Get a James Dean jet kit, a Keintech extended fuel screw. Follow the instructions that come with the jet kit. If you do not want to do this, cancel the order for the pipe.

• tylerslj

Posted August 27, 2012 - 01:04 PM

ok well i am considering the 3x3 mod . i purchased the dynojet jet kit stage 1&2 kit and a k&n filter and q-4 today , is there anything else i need ? and what jetting should i use ?

Sorry for the rookie questions but I am new to this bike . My last bike was a crf150f and with a pipe and jet kit I was more then happy. All help and advice is muchly appreciated!!!

• William1

Posted August 27, 2012 - 02:59 PM

You need to get float bowl allen screws, a (I think) 27.5 pilot jet. All of which are in the James Dean kit.
You also need the extended fuel screw.

I assume you have a SM hence the K&N. If you have a S or an E, get a Twinn Air or other foam. K&N is a street only filter.

You should also go visit the DRZ 400 forum. Read the FAQs at the top of the page. It is an excellent forum, very active.

• tylerslj

Posted August 27, 2012 - 04:31 PM

so the dynojet kit is no good ? I Can see if the shop here can switch to a jd kit tomorow but is the extended fuel screw necessary ? I have the S version and was told K&N would be fine ? I ride mostly road and the occasional fire roads though ...

Edited by tylerslj, August 27, 2012 - 05:03 PM.

• tylerslj

Posted August 27, 2012 - 06:56 PM

I was doing some more reading and my head starting to hurt ..but I found a website talking about the 3x3 mod by mat nelson and he said

"Purchase a DynoJet Stage One jetting kit. These kits are designed for an airbox that is not enlarged, so the main jets that they come with are not large enough. You need to modify the kit, and enlarge the airbox. For a stock, or a modified stock exhaust put in a 140 main jet. If you have an aftermarket exhaust use the stock 142.5 main jet. Then put in a 25 pilot (2.5 - 3 turns fuel screw) or the stock 22.5 pilot (3-3.5 turns fuel screw), you should be able to find both the main jet and the pilot jet locally. The main value of this kit is the needle and spring, they both work much better than stock. Put the needle on the 4th clip position. This kit cost about $60 and can be purchased many places."

or...

"The DRZ400S comes stock with a 142.5 main jet, 22.5 pilot fuel jet, change that to a 150 main jet, 27.5 pilot. The jets can be purchased from many motorcycle shops. This option will cost under $15. This jetting option is better than stock, but not even close to as good as jetting option one listed above. I highly recommend jetting option one."

He doesnt mention the screw ?

• William1

Posted August 28, 2012 - 07:43 AM

Hit the DRZ forum. All these questions have been asked and answered 100,000 times. You will find very full write ups with dyno results, pictures, everything. Keep in mind that Eddie Sisernos is probably the foremost expert on DRZ's in the world. All of the advice you will see in that forum is based on his expert guidance.

• Craig-o

Posted September 03, 2012 - 01:44 AM

I was doing some more reading and my head starting to hurt ..but I found a website talking about the 3x3 mod by mat nelson and he said

"Purchase a DynoJet Stage One jetting kit. These kits are designed for an airbox that is not enlarged, so the main jets that they come with are not large enough. You need to modify the kit, and enlarge the airbox. For a stock, or a modified stock exhaust put in a 140 main jet. If you have an aftermarket exhaust use the stock 142.5 main jet. Then put in a 25 pilot (2.5 - 3 turns fuel screw) or the stock 22.5 pilot (3-3.5 turns fuel screw), you should be able to find both the main jet and the pilot jet locally. The main value of this kit is the needle and spring, they both work much better than stock. Put the needle on the 4th clip position. This kit cost about $60 and can be purchased many places."

or...

"The DRZ400S comes stock with a 142.5 main jet, 22.5 pilot fuel jet, change that to a 150 main jet, 27.5 pilot. The jets can be purchased from many motorcycle shops. This option will cost under $15. This jetting option is better than stock, but not even close to as good as jetting option one listed above. I highly recommend jetting option one."

He doesnt mention the screw ?

Install the JD kit , for better results do the 3x3...You shouldn't void your warranty unless an issue or claim is a direct result of a modification you have done to your bike..
The JD jet kit and 3x3 will actually improve on factory jetting....reducing risk of engine failure ....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.