oil change

8 replies to this topic
  • wildair99

Posted October 05, 2001 - 02:42 PM

Hey thumpers,
Just wondering how often u all change our oil, i drop my oil after every 3 track rides......just wondering how often is often enough????? your fellow thumper

Wildair99
'01 YZ 426

• MikeOK

Posted October 07, 2001 - 04:59 AM

2 track rides for me...

• yzernie

Posted October 07, 2001 - 05:48 AM

2 track rides for me too and a new or cleaned oil filter every change. I also change the air filter after every ride or two depending on the conditions.

Ernie

------------------
--Life is too short, work hard...play hard--
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing

• Bill

Posted October 07, 2001 - 06:01 AM

Every two track rides and only one woods ride. I change after every woods ride beause of clutch abuse and time ran.

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, de-octopussed (Thanks Clark) EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ, 100PAJ and 65 SJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted October 08, 2001 - 12:50 PM

I've been doing mine every 2 rides but lately it hasn't been that dirty (compared to the first few changes) so I'm going to let it go 3 this time and see what it looks like. It's hot out so I'm only spending half or less of my time at the track actually on the bike. In winter if I ride longer I'll change it every 2 rides. The filter has been clean so I'm changing/cleaning it every other change depending on riding time.

• RetroThumper

Posted October 10, 2001 - 09:17 PM

Since I'm running Full-Synthetic, changing after every 3 track rides and new filter every 3rd oil change.

• wildair99

Posted October 11, 2001 - 05:33 PM

Hey fellow thumpers,
Thanks for all the info on the oil change timeframe, one more question, how often do you all change your oil filter? i have changed mine every oil change, should i do it every other oil change...just wondering

wildair99
2001 YZ426

visit my homepage http://wildair99.hom...rshomepage.html

• yzernie

Posted October 11, 2001 - 09:25 PM

Originally posted by wildair99:
how often do you all change your oil filter?

I change my oil filter every oil change. Since they are reusable, I have three oil filters that I rotate. I always have at least one clean filter ready to go for the next oil change. Cheap insurance!!

Ernie

------------------
--Life is too short, work hard...play hard--
Sponsored by Yamaha of Cucamonga, Larry Roeseler's Stroker Fourstroke Speed Equipment and Answer Racing, yzernie@dirtracers.com

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 12, 2001 - 03:02 AM

The more hours I have on this thing the less stuff that I find in the filter. For a while I was changing it every oil change and getting plenty of bits in there. Recently I let it go about 4 or 5 rides (2 oil changes) and then cleaned it night before last and I was surprised how little was in it. I may let it go 3 changes this time since it has been so clean lately.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.