Hrs on a new oil filter?

22 replies to this topic
  • BBrown626

Posted August 31, 2012 - 04:17 PM

If I was gong to use a stainlees steel mesh type reuseable oil filter I would invest in a Ultasonic cleaner for the filter you be suprize what gets trapped in them.

I hope everything gets trapped in them! :-)
I have some experience with 10-micron steel mesh filters used in a lube oil system for a Rolls Royce marine propulsion plant. The waterjet oil filters are about $750 each. They go in the garbage after use. Even an ultrasonic cleaner cannot clean them.
With the sort of particles we get in our bikes, you can clean them sufficiently though. I think our motorcycles use 35 micron filters. A dip in solvent should do the trick.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 02, 2012 - 07:56 AM

The thing to remember about mesh filters as versus "paper" elements is that they filter in two fundamentally different ways. Paper filters will release "trapped" particles into the oil stream. If a mesh filter stops something, it almost always stays stopped, no matter what.

Read: http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• Ryan426

Posted September 04, 2012 - 10:22 AM

http://www.rockymoun.../54/174/Filters
Stock up..... :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.