YZ426 seat and tank, worst mod?

21 replies to this topic
  • Spiritwalker2222

Posted August 23, 2012 - 10:23 AM

I installed a YZ426 clarke tank and an SDG tall seat on my WR400. I can't believe how much lower this seat is over my old WR400 tall seat with WR tank. The old seat was flat, you can obviously see the slop on this seat. The seat is so low now it's completely uncomfortable. So much for having a longer seat.

Has anyone else noticed a huge seat reduction when switching over to the YZ426 seat and tank?
Posted Image

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted August 26, 2012 - 11:17 AM

I got a reply back from SDG about their YZ426 "tall" seat. Turns out it's only .5" taller than the stock seat. They say that the narrow seatpan of the YZ426 makes it impossible to make a taller seat thats stable.

I'm going to return the seat and sell the YZ tank.

• MaxPower

Posted August 27, 2012 - 05:23 PM

You are the only person I have ever heard of that likes the stock wr400 seat and tank. Don't get rid of the YZ set up just yet. Give yourself a little time to get used to it. The tall SDG seat is nice and isn't mushy. Everyone is different . I rode a wr250f with the stock seat and tank . I really found it weird. If I rode it another 10000 miles I'm sure I would get used to it

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted August 28, 2012 - 07:44 AM

It's just that the SDG seat is so low. It's more than an inch lower than my WR seat. Feels like I'm on a kids bike. Don't think my knees would be happy with me after a long day.

• UNICYCLEMIKE

Posted August 28, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Best mod ever for an old WR imo.Posted Image

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted August 29, 2012 - 05:10 AM

Best mod ever for an old WR imo.Posted Image

Thanks for the reply, but both of you don't seem to grasp what the problem is.

On that note, I've talked to Andy at Guts racing and it appears that their YZ tall seat is actually a "tall" seat.

And the SDG seller is taking my new YZ seat back, as they've admitted (kinda with some double talk) that the SDG tall seat isn't a tall seat.

• Rot Box

Posted August 29, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Huh--paint that seat yellow and it would look like a banana! :banana:

Seriously though I have the IMS/TY Davis YZ tank and an SDG seat and it doesn't have that much curve maybe its just the Clarke tank? I LOVE the yz seat mod on mine as well hopefully you get it sorted out.

I have a tall Guts seat as a spare and it is definitely MUCH taller and flatter than the stock seat. That said it is a bit too tall for me so I don't use it unless I'm planning on long rides with a good mix of pavement. Hope this helps,

Andrew

• dustdogg

Posted August 29, 2012 - 03:06 PM

Here are a couple of shots of my WR 426 w/ Clarke tank and SDG YZ (standard) seat. I like it much better than the WR tank/seat. Not sure whats going on with yours? There is a lot of curve but since it extends forward so much more it allows you to also move forward. I have not noticed it being any lower than the WR seat but then again mine has been on the bike for 7 or 8 years now.

Posted Image
Posted Image

• MaxPower

Posted September 02, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for the reply, but both of you don't seem to grasp what the problem is.

You should definitely go back to a stock WR seat and tank.This is no doubt the worst mod for you.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted December 04, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Finally got a "tall" YZ seat for my WR.
Posted Image

And it's atually a tall seat. Now I just have to wait till spring to try it out.

Edited by Spiritwalker2222, December 04, 2012 - 05:51 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaxPower

Posted December 10, 2012 - 01:42 PM

I think the issue is that either you are a really big guy or just like big bikes. Look at those bar risers! They just dont go up, they go forward too

• peaceofwork

Posted December 10, 2012 - 01:51 PM

that clark tank is a monster, whats the capacity?

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted December 11, 2012 - 02:38 PM

I think the clark is 13 or 15 L.

yes, I'm tall, at 6'5".

• MANIAC998

Posted December 12, 2012 - 08:37 AM

Nov 28,2011 008.JPG

My Acerbis tank is pretty large too!
6.6 gallons

• pavementsurfer

Posted March 27, 2014 - 06:03 AM

Thread resurection!  Did the stock cabling work with that bar height?  Thats what I'm talkin about!

• pavementsurfer

Posted March 27, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Finally got a "tall" YZ seat for my WR.
IMG_3159.jpg

And it's atually a tall seat. Now I just have to wait till spring to try it out.

Thread resurection! Did the stock cabling work with that bar height? Thats what I'm talkin about!

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted March 27, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Thread resurection! Did the stock cabling work with that bar height? Thats what I'm talkin about!

The stock throttle and clutch cables do work. I needed to reroute the cables to give a bit more length.

The decompression lever cable was too short and I mounted it next to the handlebar clamp to make it work before getting the auto decompression cam.

• pavementsurfer

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:24 AM

The stock throttle and clutch cables do work. I needed to reroute the cables to give a bit more length.

The decompression lever cable was too short and I mounted it next to the handlebar clamp to make it work before getting the auto decompression cam.

Thanks for letting me know about the cables and decomp cam. What risers brand/model did you use? 

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thanks for letting me know about the cables and decomp cam. What risers brand/model did you use? 

I used "Bar risers". http://www.barrisersonline.com/

I like them, but might be tempted with rox risers for my next bike.

• NoIDs

Posted August 07, 2014 - 12:25 PM

Here are a couple of shots of my WR 426 w/ Clarke tank and SDG YZ (standard) seat. I like it much better than the WR tank/seat. Not sure whats going on with yours? There is a lot of curve but since it extends forward so much more it allows you to also move forward. I have not noticed it being any lower than the WR seat but then again mine has been on the bike for 7 or 8 years now.

DSCN0297-1.jpg
SDC10102.jpg

Hey I was just wondering what brand that armor is for your exhaust header and what company it is. Thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.