2004 YZ450F versus 2008 YZ450F?

5 replies to this topic
  • flintlock28

Posted August 23, 2012 - 10:12 AM

Long story short....A guy I work with is looking to sell a 2008 450f, and get out of riding...

I have a 2004 450f, that I really enjoy, but the bike even after adding a Stormlink, still is not the greatest turning MX bike on the Planet. I also had the cylinder rebored, re-Nikasiled, and new piston installed, and it's only got about two hours run time on it, and runs flawlessly.

My question is: If I were to sell my bike, and put the money toward the 2008 model, how much better handling, and overall "lighter" would the bike feel?

I've only ridden the 2003 and the 2004 models, so I have no reference for how the 2008 model would feel on the track.

Can anybody give me an idea as to how much different the 2008 would feel compared to the 2004?

Should I just stay with my ultra reliable 04', or is the 08' better in handling, to make it worth getting the 08'?

p.s. I will be riding about 80% track, and 20% off-road

thanx

• grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2012 - 10:42 AM

There is a night and day difference between the two bikes. When I came off my '03 and went to an '06, the first thing I noticed after a day in the desert was that I wasn't nearly as tired as usual. Then I also realized that I had had a lot fewer near crashes as well.

The front suspension on the '08 is just flat out the best stock stuff you can buy. The rear is refined, too, but there really hasn't been anything wrong with the KYB shock for a long time, other than the rebound valving can be improved. But the fork, well, if you spent $800 on yours, the stock '08 would still be better. Rework both ends a little, and the bike is just fabulous.

The '08 is a 5 speed. I liked my 4 speed, but the 5 is just better.

The power will take some getting used to. The '04 has right at 48hp stock, while the '08 comes in at 51-52. But the notoriously aggressive power delivery of the '04 in the lower mid-range compared with the much milder, more controlled low-mid of the '08 changes the rider's perception of things to where the newer bike seems lame and gutless to people familiar with other 450's. This is easily correctable by dumping the ridiculous perf-tube baffled shorty muffler the '08 comes with and putting almost anything in place of it, and by using a CDI from an '06 (or a good aftermarket unit).

I would make the switch in a heartbeat.

• etuke

Posted August 23, 2012 - 01:48 PM

I thought the 08 and 09 yz450 came in at 46hp?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flintlock28

Posted August 23, 2012 - 04:35 PM

There is a night and day difference between the two bikes. When I came off my '03 and went to an '06, the first thing I noticed after a day in the desert was that I wasn't nearly as tired as usual. Then I also realized that I had had a lot fewer near crashes as well.

The front suspension on the '08 is just flat out the best stock stuff you can buy. The rear is refined, too, but there really hasn't been anything wrong with the KYB shock for a long time, other than the rebound valving can be improved. But the fork, well, if you spent $800 on yours, the stock '08 would still be better. Rework both ends a little, and the bike is just fabulous.

The '08 is a 5 speed. I liked my 4 speed, but the 5 is just better.

The power will take some getting used to. The '04 has right at 48hp stock, while the '08 comes in at 51-52. But the notoriously aggressive power delivery of the '04 in the lower mid-range compared with the much milder, more controlled low-mid of the '08 changes the rider's perception of things to where the newer bike seems lame and gutless to people familiar with other 450's. This is easily correctable by dumping the ridiculous perf-tube baffled shorty muffler the '08 comes with and putting almost anything in place of it, and by using a CDI from an '06 (or a good aftermarket unit).

I would make the switch in a heartbeat.

Thanks gray for the info, you've got me salivating.

• flintlock28

Posted August 24, 2012 - 11:42 AM

One last question.......

Does the 08' model turn as well as the 2012 models? or are the years between 08' and 2012 much different in turning ease??

thanx

You know all about getting an 03' or 04' to turn well......

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2012 - 11:50 AM

The '06 and '07 both exhibit some of the same stubbornness at turn in, although they are, IMO a major improvement over the steel frames. The '08 and '09 were a bit better, but not like the '10. The bike likes the rider well forward, and will behave beautifully once the rear end steps out a bit. They all still have that push otherwise.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.