Fork oil coming out of bleeders ?

3 replies to this topic
  • crf450319

Posted August 23, 2012 - 09:05 AM

I've got fork bleeders installed on my '09 yz450f (have had them installed on other bikes). Problem is that about 2 - 4ml of fork oil will come shooting out of the bleeders when the pressure is released. A buddy with an '09 has had the same issue, I didn't have this happen with my first '09.

Any ideas/solutions ?

Thanks...

• ss55539

Posted August 23, 2012 - 09:48 AM

mine did it too. although it was just one side. what i do now is make sure to let it sit on the stand for a little bit to let the oil settle and havent had much issue since. im guessing maybe the last guy put too much oil in or didnt bleed the forks properly :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2012 - 10:26 AM

This is fairly normal IF it's also somewhat inconsistent, the quantity of oil ejected is fairly small, and it is made less likely by waiting several minutes after riding to vent the forks, as mentioned.

If the fork consistently blows out that much oil, and you don't routinely spend a lot of time with the bike on its side or upside down, it may be wise to look for a condition like a cracked free piston.

• crf450319

Posted August 23, 2012 - 03:12 PM

This is fairly normal IF it's also somewhat inconsistent, the quantity of oil ejected is fairly small, and it is made less likely by waiting several minutes after riding to vent the forks, as mentioned.

If the fork consistently blows out that much oil, and you don't routinely spend a lot of time with the bike on its side or upside down, it may be wise to look for a condition like a cracked free piston.

I've done the free piston mod as per Dave at SPI so I wouldn't suspect a broken free piston, and I service the suspension every 20 hours (due this week) so it does get inspected periodically.

I'm just thinking that these forks are supposed to be sensitive to a 10ml increase in fork oil, if I lose 12-15ml in 8 hours of ride time it may have an effect ? I have noticed that the suspension feels a little harsh lately, but I'm pushing my 20 hour mark for service. I've noticed that I'm able to "feel" when the oil/fluid needs to be freshened up - more so with the shock.

Thanks for the input...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.