Rotella t6 in an 08 YZ450f?

95 replies to this topic
  • STR8SHOOTR

Posted September 13, 2012 - 02:46 AM

I use the Yamalube 10/50 Semi Syn, I think it should hold up better than the basic 10/40. I have like 1.5 gallons left, I'll be changing after you finish your study!

Thanks again for taking time and $$ to do this study for the Thumper Community!

• grayracer513

Posted September 13, 2012 - 07:11 AM

I've seen that a 15w-40 oil holds up better than a 10w-40 even from the same company. Probably has to do with less polymers to make the difference between the two weights.

It very often does. A 20w-40 is obviously going to depend less on VII's to maintain 40 wt behavior from a 20 wt than a 5w-40 will to do the same with a 5. The wrinkle is that some of the better synthetic base oils have a much higher viscosity index (meaning they thin less with heat) than petroleum and lesser synthetic bases even without the additives.

• Hurricane

Posted September 13, 2012 - 10:13 AM

KJ790 thanks for doing this research I'm very interested to see all of the results.

• MTYZ450fMT

Posted September 19, 2012 - 04:24 PM

I guess the old mechanic I talked to knew his shit after all,looks like the Rotella blows the Yamalube out of the water,Ill keep using it thnx for the hard data.So much BS and product hype out there its nice to know there are still a few guys around who know what they are talking about.

• KJ790

Posted September 19, 2012 - 06:06 PM

I guess the old mechanic I talked to knew his shit after all,looks like the Rotella blows the Yamalube out of the water,Ill keep using it thnx for the hard data.So much BS and product hype out there its nice to know there are still a few guys around who know what they are talking about.

Remember that that test was for Rotella T (dino oil), not the T6. I won't have the result for the T6 until early next week, I just mailed it in on Monday. I will post up the result when I get it. I did just get the results back for the Super Tech 15w40, not quite as good as the Rotella T, but still better than the Yamalube. I'm not sure why their "should be" column for the viscosity has been different with each test.

Posted Image

• highmarker

Posted September 19, 2012 - 06:49 PM

fwiw CITGO blends most the Yamalube USA products last time I checked, to yamaha's spec, which I assume is Jaso. The industry works on bid though (low bid) so contracts can change but the spec is usually the same.

WHEN you pull sample can make a difference in your attempt to see viscosity retention. Oil can actually thicken as it become more oxidized from heat , additive's are used to help control it - weighed against the thinning from shear, keeping things in balance As you see the TBN drop you might start to see a viscosity increase. but most motosports users change their oil before that happens.

10w40 doesn't necessary mean more VII's are used than 15w40, Pour point depressants are also used to make a heavier base act thinner. It really depends on the formulation.. many products labeled 40 may start out at the thin end of the 40 range (many 10w40's). So a UOA would show that it fell out of grade with a small drop. Another oil that started out on the thick end of the 40 range (many 15w40's) may still show in grade on a UOA but dropped just as many cst. Also VII's are not evil things to avoid if they are good quality.

On these bikes I'd be concerned when the 100c falls much below 10 cst, as almost all Japanese bike motors are proved (durability etc) on 10/30w.

Edited by highmarker, September 19, 2012 - 06:52 PM.

• KJ790

Posted September 19, 2012 - 06:55 PM

fwiw CITGO blends most the Yamalube USA products last time I checked, to yamaha's spec, which I assume is Jaso. The industry works on bid though (low bid) so contracts can change but the spec is usually the same.

WHEN you pull sample can make a difference in your attempt to see viscosity retention. Oil can actually thicken as it become more oxidized from heat , additive's are used to help control it - weighed against the thinning from shear, keeping things in balance As you see the TBN drop you might start to see a viscosity increase. but most motosports users change their oil before that happens.

10w40 doesn't necessary mean more VII's are used than 15w40, Pour point depressants are also used to make a heavier base act thinner. It really depends on the formulation.. many products labeled 40 may start out at the thin end of the 40 range (many 10w40's). So a UOA would show that it fell out of grade with a small drop. Another oil that started out on the thick end of the 40 range (many 15w40's) may still show in grade on a UOA but dropped just as many cst. Also VII's are not evil things to avoid if they are good quality.

On these bikes I'd be concerned when the 100c falls much below 10 cst, as almost all Japanese bike motors are proved (durability etc) on 10/30w.

Good info. A VOA of the Yamalube showed a SUS viscosity of 77, so the viscosity definitely dropped a concerning amount in 2 hours of use.

• highmarker

Posted September 19, 2012 - 07:34 PM

Yep, as soon as you started the motor. LOL.The labs are pretty inconsistent IMO, most people that use them look for trends and big things out of wack. not individual UOA's. But it's fun to play with....? I did my share of twocycle oils back in the day.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted September 25, 2012 - 03:37 PM

And the test for the Rotella T6 5w40 is back! It looks like it held up alright, still in grade. The only thing is that it did not seem to hold up any better than the normal Rotella T, and for me I noticed the clutch action was not that great. With the other oils the clutch action was always smooth, but with the T6 the clutch would chatter under hard acceleration. I switched back to the normal Rotella T and the clutch feels normal under hard acceleration again. Here are the results after 2 hours.

Posted Image

• STOIE

Posted September 25, 2012 - 03:43 PM

I can comment in this thread now.

I have been running Silkolene Pro 4 Plus fully synthetic for around 6 months now in my 05' YZ450F, no problems at all, perfect clutch performance.
The bike has a Rekluse Core EXP and it grabs great, would very much recommend, only down side is the price :S

Aaron.

• MTYZ450fMT

Posted September 25, 2012 - 04:05 PM

That should put the Rotella Haters to rest,proofs in the puddin,if they think their oil of choice is so much better they should put their money where their mouths are and do the testing you just did to prove it.Appreciate the data KJ,So glad I didnt waste my money on the Yamacrap.

• beezer

Posted September 26, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Silkolene Pro 4 is around 23 bucks a liter. Once I run out that's it for me.

I'll prolly use Rotella.

• STOIE

Posted September 26, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Silkolene Pro 4 is around 23 bucks a liter. Once I run out that's it for me.

I'll prolly use Rotella.

Yep, I paid a bucket for the Pro 4 Plus.
But, I didn't want to risk anything with the CoreEXP after I put it in.

• highmarker

Posted September 26, 2012 - 07:57 PM

brand x or Y oil isn't going to hurt the rekluse, they just make that recommendation to get everyone on the same page so they can advise tuning and setup better. It's a popular oil, available most place and doesn't cost too much, I wouldn't read too much more into the recommendation.

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted September 27, 2012 - 02:36 AM

brand x or Y oil isn't going to hurt the rekluse, they just make that recommendation to get everyone on the same page so they can advise tuning and setup better. It's a popular oil, available most place and doesn't cost too much, I wouldn't read too much more into the recommendation.

Good point!

• YZJohn250

Posted November 21, 2013 - 09:18 AM

I know this is a old thread but just wanted to say thanks for doing the tests

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.