Rotella t6 in an 08 YZ450f?

95 replies to this topic
  • Gunner354

Posted September 04, 2012 - 07:07 PM

The only problem is that the redline is over $11 per quart. That's my issue with Amsoil as well, I know it is good oil, but I am going to change it often regardless of how long I could theoretically run it. By the time I flushed my engine with redline and then ran the stuff for a sample it would cost me quite a bit of money.

There's an old saying" wear a ten dollar helmet if you have a ten dollar head"
Pretty much the same with oil. Why in the world would anyone spend thousands on a highly engineered engine that turns over 11,000 RPMs, holds one quart of oil and not use the best oil possible? This is why I NEVER buy used motorcycles.

• KJ790

Posted September 05, 2012 - 02:31 AM

Unfortunately in today's world price does not always go with quality. Quite often price goes with niche marketing. I'm a firm believer that the best oil is fresh oil. There is nothing wrong with running a lower cost oil as long as you change it regularly, there will be no negative impact on your engine. In my professional life I have seen how frequent oil changes can catch problems before they become catastrophic, so I will never run an oil for an extended period of time in anything that I own, regardless of how long you can theoretically run it.

• Gunner354

Posted September 05, 2012 - 10:25 PM

Unfortunately in today's world price does not always go with quality. Quite often price goes with niche marketing. I'm a firm believer that the best oil is fresh oil. There is nothing wrong with running a lower cost oil as long as you change it regularly, there will be no negative impact on your engine. In my professional life I have seen how frequent oil changes can catch problems before they become catastrophic, so I will never run an oil for an extended period of time in anything that I own, regardless of how long you can theoretically run it.

Well, I can guarantee you that Redline is a high priced oil and a very high quality oil. I have an 09 with over 300 hours without a rebuild and it starts and runs like new. Like I said before I don't buy used dirtbikes because of most people spend thousands on a bike and use a petroleum based oil which does not protect well in these motors no matter how often it's changed. Spend some time reading real facts on the base stock oil groups and additive packages. Most people have an opinion based on some sort of emotional attachment or marketing hype. Better yet send some virgin samples and have them tested.

Edited by Gunner354, September 05, 2012 - 10:29 PM.

• KJ790

Posted September 06, 2012 - 02:34 AM

Well, I can guarantee you that Redline is a high priced oil and a very high quality oil. I have an 09 with over 300 hours without a rebuild and it starts and runs like new. Like I said before I don't buy used dirtbikes because of most people spend thousands on a bike and use a petroleum based oil which does not protect well in these motors no matter how often it's changed. Spend some time reading real facts on the base stock oil groups and additive packages. Most people have an opinion based on some sort of emotional attachment or marketing hype. Better yet send some virgin samples and have them tested.

So you are trying to say that petroleum based oils can't protect these engines? What tests are you going off of because that sounds a lot like all of the marketing hype I've seen. Like I said, I know redline is a good oil, but maxima and amsoil have tested just as well if not better in every type of oil test I have seen, and I can get both of these for less money than the redline. Believe it or not, your bike will not blow up if you run a different type of oil.

I've never had anybody come back to me with a problem with a used bike I sold them. I had an 04 YZ250F I raced my last year in B class and first 2 years in A class on dino oil. I put in a new piston and sold it to a friend of mine and he put 200 hours on it racing B class without touching it (running Rotella T). He sold it to another guy that I see from time to time and he still hasn't touched it. I can assure you there is nothing wrong with my used bikes, just sold my old practice bike after only 4 hours on craigslist.

Unless I see an hour meter, I take any amount of run time with a grain of salt. For example you said a year ago your 09 had over 400 hours on it: http://www.thumperta...ost__p__9512138
Personally, I would rather buy a used bike from a guy with an hour meter that says he changed the oil every 2 hours and rebuilt the engine every 50 hours (with receipts and the used parts to show it) than the guy that brags about the bike having hundreds of hours on it without touching the motor. There are still things that wear out regardless of what oil you are running.

Edited by KJ790, September 06, 2012 - 04:13 AM.

• Chickenhauler

Posted September 06, 2012 - 08:00 AM

There's an old saying" wear a ten dollar helmet if you have a ten dollar head"
Pretty much the same with oil. Why in the world would anyone spend thousands on a highly engineered engine that turns over 11,000 RPMs, holds one quart of oil and not use the best oil possible? This is why I NEVER buy used motorcycles.

So best=most expensive?

Does that mean oil that is purchased at the bike shop is better than the same oil purchased from another retailer at a lower price?

• Gunner354

Posted September 06, 2012 - 02:19 PM

So you are trying to say that petroleum based oils can't protect these engines? What tests are you going off of because that sounds a lot like all of the marketing hype I've seen. Like I said, I know redline is a good oil, but maxima and amsoil have tested just as well if not better in every type of oil test I have seen, and I can get both of these for less money than the redline. Believe it or not, your bike will not blow up if you run a different type of oil.

I've never had anybody come back to me with a problem with a used bike I sold them. I had an 04 YZ250F I raced my last year in B class and first 2 years in A class on dino oil. I put in a new piston and sold it to a friend of mine and he put 200 hours on it racing B class without touching it (running Rotella T). He sold it to another guy that I see from time to time and he still hasn't touched it. I can assure you there is nothing wrong with my used bikes, just sold my old practice bike after only 4 hours on craigslist.

Unless I see an hour meter, I take any amount of run time with a grain of salt. For example you said a year ago your 09 had over 400 hours on it: http://www.thumperta...ost__p__9512138
Personally, I would rather buy a used bike from a guy with an hour meter that says he changed the oil every 2 hours and rebuilt the engine every 50 hours (with receipts and the used parts to show it) than the guy that brags about the bike having hundreds of hours on it without touching the motor. There are still things that wear out regardless of what oil you are running.

I own two 09 yz450's. One is mine and one is my sons.

• shrubitup

Posted September 09, 2012 - 10:32 AM

I own two 09 yz450's. One is mine and one is my sons.

Good to know. :prof:

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted September 09, 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm just curius about the tests, Im interested in the results of the Rotella T and the Yamalube, I run Yamalube semi and hope its good stuff! Iwould like to change to Rotella since I change my oil and filter every ride anyway.

• KJ790

Posted September 09, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Well I sent in my samples of Rotella T 15w40 and Yamalube 10w40 a week and a half ago. I got the results for the Yamalube Thursday night, haven't heard back on the Rotella, I'm hoping that it didn't get lost in the mail. I shipped them my third sample of oil, which is **gasp** Super Tech 15w40. I have Rotella T6 in my bike right now but I haven't gotten a chance to put any time on it yet.

As for the test I got back, the Yamalube 10w40 failed pretty badly in terms of viscosity. After only 2 hours or hard riding the oil came out with the following properties:

Posted Image

I'm hoping I get the results from the Rotella T tomorrow, and I should have the Super Tech results at the end of the week. Hopefully I will get some time on the bike and get the Rotella T6 sample out soon.

• Chickenhauler

Posted September 10, 2012 - 10:12 AM

Well I sent in my samples of Rotella T 15w40 and Yamalube 10w40 a week and a half ago. I got the results for the Yamalube Thursday night, haven't heard back on the Rotella, I'm hoping that it didn't get lost in the mail. I shipped them my third sample of oil, which is **gasp** Super Tech 15w40. I have Rotella T6 in my bike right now but I haven't gotten a chance to put any time on it yet.

As for the test I got back, the Yamalube 10w40 failed pretty badly in terms of viscosity. After only 2 hours or hard riding the oil came out with the following properties:

Posted Image

I'm hoping I get the results from the Rotella T tomorrow, and I should have the Super Tech results at the end of the week. Hopefully I will get some time on the bike and get the Rotella T6 sample out soon.

Compared the MSDS sheets on Super Tech a few years back, and they were identical another SOPUS product-parent company of Rotella (attempting to discover who the mfgr was of Super Tech). Can't recall which one it was though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2012 - 11:37 AM

As for the test I got back, the Yamalube 10w40 failed pretty badly in terms of viscosity.

That's pretty well out of grade, alright. Did Blackstone have any comment as to how much the fuel contamination contributed to it? Not much, I imagine. with less than 2%.

• KJ790

Posted September 10, 2012 - 11:47 AM

That's pretty well out of grade, alright. Did Blackstone have any comment as to how much the fuel contamination contributed to it? Not much, I imagine. with less than 2%.

Nope, no comment on the fuel contamination's contribution, but 0.5% is a pretty small amount. A virgin sample of this oil showed the SUS viscosity at 77, so it definitely dropped in viscosity quick.

• grayracer513

Posted September 10, 2012 - 12:28 PM

Know what? Nevermind... :rolleyes:

I read it backward (only in that one field, too... Go figure) Saw the standards as being <0.5% and yours at <2%, but it's the other way 'round.

• STR8SHOOTR

Posted September 11, 2012 - 02:14 PM

Those numbers suck, They must be making a fortune off of that oil, Do we know who's making it for Yamaha? Im glad I change it out after every ride!

• KJ790

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:40 PM

I heard that Torco was making Yamalube a few years ago, I don't know if they still are or not.

I got the results for the Rotella T 15w40 today, definitely held up better than the Yamalube. The left column is the Rotella T. Looks like it would probably be out of grade in another hour or 2 though. Still, Yamalube is the recommended oil according to the owner's manual, and the Rotella T held up much better for 1/3 the cost.

Posted Image

I should be getting the Super Tech results in a couple days. I put an hour on the Rotella T6 oil tonight, hoping to put another hour on it Thursday after work so I can get that sample sent out near the end of the week.

Edited by KJ790, September 11, 2012 - 05:41 PM.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 11, 2012 - 05:42 PM

I would be more interested to see how they sit at about 4 hours.

• KJ790

Posted September 11, 2012 - 06:06 PM

I would be more interested to see how they sit at about 4 hours.

Yeah, but after seeing the result from the Yamalube, I don't trust running anything for 4 hours until I have seen a UOA at a shorter interval. I have a feeling the Yamalube would have been water by the 4 hour mark.

• rickallen124

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:32 PM

I heard that Torco was making Yamalube a few years ago, I don't know if they still are or not.

I got the results for the Rotella T 15w40 today, definitely held up better than the Yamalube. The left column is the Rotella T. Looks like it would probably be out of grade in another hour or 2 though. Still, Yamalube is the recommended oil according to the owner's manual, and the Rotella T held up much better for 1/3 the cost.

Posted Image

I should be getting the Super Tech results in a couple days. I put an hour on the Rotella T6 oil tonight, hoping to put another hour on it Thursday after work so I can get that sample sent out near the end of the week.

A couple years ago Torco was producing the oil for Yamaha for all of the European markets but not the U.S. I've seen that a 15w-40 oil holds up better than a 10w-40 even from the same company. Probably has to do with less polymers to make the difference between the two weights.

• FinchFan194

Posted September 12, 2012 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, but after seeing the result from the Yamalube, I don't trust running anything for 4 hours until I have seen a UOA at a shorter interval. I have a feeling the Yamalube would have been water by the 4 hour mark.

I agree, but I race Hare Scrambles so my races last at least 2:30...

Edited by FinchFan394, September 12, 2012 - 08:50 PM.

• shrubitup

Posted September 12, 2012 - 09:26 PM

I agree, but I race Hare Scrambles so my races last at least 2:30...

Stop mid-race and change it. :prof:

:smirk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.