Rotella t6 in an 08 YZ450f?

95 replies to this topic
  • MTYZ450fMT

Posted August 20, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Recently picked up an 08 with 90 hrs on it,PO says he has been doing his oil changes with T6 after every hard ride....first of all is T6 safe for a YZ and how many hrs between changes are reecommended,Ill be doing normal trail riding with occasional outburts of power abuse,love the bike BTW havnt been on a yz since I was 14.

• FinchFan194

Posted August 20, 2012 - 06:08 PM

Do yourself a favor and run Amsoil.

• grayracer513

Posted August 20, 2012 - 07:47 PM

Rotella is safe for the clutch, but if you're going to run it, change it every ride day. The transmission beats it down a full grade to something like 30 wt instead of 40 in 2 hours or less.

Even with a good transmission-durable synthetic such as Amsoil MCF or Mobil1 Racing 4T, there's only just over a quart of oil involved, and you really shouldn't figure on the oil lasting beyond 10 hours or so, anyway. At that point, contamination will become problematic, and even the good stuff starts to get beat up.

Rotella's OK if you don't mind the extra work and aren't planning a 4 day trip or something.

• ss55539

Posted August 20, 2012 - 10:00 PM

I run T6 in mine. I've also ran it just over a year in my R1 and two seasons mx now in the yfz with no issues. As grey said I change the oil often. I did that with the mobil 4t also (probably wasting oil but I like the peace of mind of fresh), the T6 was a much more affordable option

• marv02

Posted August 21, 2012 - 05:36 AM

Pro's Cons I have ran Rotella my self also yes it cheeper and I did change more often so in this case it can be chepper.

I swicthed back to Maxima my self the bike seems to shift better YES it cost more but then again I dont change it as much so if you dont change it as much it dont cost that much more to use a oil like Maxima gear oil.

If I am lucky to find time to ride my bike much now adays and more not like when I was younger days now family comes first bike is about # 10 in my want to do list, I get to ride it a couple hours once every 2 to 4 months if I get time to load up in the truck and go out to ride it.

• antfizzle

Posted August 21, 2012 - 05:38 AM

I have been using plain rotella T, should I use the t6, in my 09yz 450? Thanks guys

• ss55539

Posted August 21, 2012 - 06:27 AM

they both carry the jaso ma rating. you just get a better product with the T6 being synthetic imo

• woolf

Posted August 22, 2012 - 04:55 AM

I run T in my 08 YZ450F, 04 YFZ450, 01 YZ250F, wife's XR100, and my son's XR50. That's not to mention my Duramax gets the same oil (I know it is not the same situation, but it is a $50,000 truck). I've used T for years and never had an oil related engine failure. I do change oil about every 5-10 hours though, but would do the same with any oil. I love the stuff.

• MTYZ450fMT

Posted August 22, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Sounds like Im sticking with the T6,I run it in my 06 cbr600rr and the bike loves it.Thanx

• coop63

Posted August 23, 2012 - 05:04 AM

I have also heard that the Rotella works well with the Rekluse clutches. Why, i don't have a clue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 23, 2012 - 06:46 AM

I can tell you for a fact that both Amsoil MCF and Mobil1 Racing 4T work perfectly with a Rekluse as well. The recommendation by Rekluse to use Rotella is given far too much credence, IMO, as there isn't anything special about it that makes it work better.

And, of course, it still thins out seriously in way too short a time.

• FinchFan194

Posted August 23, 2012 - 12:45 PM

I use only Amsoil in my 08 with the Rekluse and never had any problems. If you can use a better oil that will give you more protection why wouldn't you?

• MTYZ450fMT

Posted August 23, 2012 - 03:30 PM

Talked to a mech and the Yam dealership today with 40 yrs experience,he highly recommended the t6 as an alternative to the OE oil,he said it isnt any better than Yamalube but just as effective at protecting your drivetrain.Uses it himself in several bikes,street and dirt.Ill stick with the T6,I can pick it up for 19.99 a gal.Does anyone on here actually have first hand experience where Rotella T6 failed?...............

Edited by MTYZ450fMT, August 23, 2012 - 03:31 PM.

• Chas_M

Posted August 24, 2012 - 06:05 AM

I have been successfully using Rotella T6 (5W-40) in my Revloc equipped BB '08 KTM HTR 350 XCF-W since new (July '08) on the recommendation of Bill Thomas at HTRacing. The as yet untouched engine still runs like new and as strong as ever after 7,500 miles and 364 hours.

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2012 - 08:19 AM

All that is necessary is to send in a sample your own used oil after 2-3 hours time and see the results you get back. I have yet to see a used oil analysis of any flavor of Rotella that stayed in grade that long.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not OK with my 40 wt turning into a 30 wt during a desert race. Maybe that's just me.

• flintlock28

Posted August 24, 2012 - 06:21 PM

All that is necessary is to send in a sample your own used oil after 2-3 hours time and see the results you get back. I have yet to see a used oil analysis of any flavor of Rotella that stayed in grade that long.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm not OK with my 40 wt turning into a 30 wt during a desert race. Maybe that's just me.

Years ago I got talking with a guy who rebuilt engines for a living.......(primarily small block Chevy's)

He told me that once an engine using muti-viscosity oil got the slightest bit dirty, that it lost the ability to change viscosity.

i.e. a 10W-30W oil, effectively stayed at 30 weight, once it got a little bit dirty; so He only ran straight 30 weight oil.

I have no idea if this is B.S. or not, and I've never heard of this since...Gray, any truth to this rumor, or complete nonsense?

• grayracer513

Posted August 24, 2012 - 09:45 PM

He told me that once an engine using muti-viscosity oil got the slightest bit dirty, that it lost the ability to change viscosity.

i.e. a 10W-30W oil, effectively stayed at 30 weight, once it got a little bit dirty; ....any truth to this rumor, or complete nonsense?

It's backwards, to start with, and has nothing to do with dirt. Multi-vis oils are made by modifying light oils so that they don't thin out, not the other way around. The molecules of the additives that accomplish this are physically large enough to get mashed between gears, and if they aren't tough enough, they they get torn apart and become ineffective. A straight grade oil doesn't do that.

• MTYZ450fMT

Posted August 25, 2012 - 05:26 AM

Since we have no deserts,only mountian roads I guess Im OK.

• FinchFan194

Posted August 25, 2012 - 06:20 AM

The point he is trying to make is it will break down quickly ie during a 2:30 long race that is a bad choice. I will stick with my Amsoill and my piece of mind. You guys that run Rotella do realize you aren't even running an oil designed for motorcycle use in a motorcycle right?

Edited by FinchFan394, August 25, 2012 - 06:21 AM.

• Chickenhauler

Posted August 25, 2012 - 06:44 AM

The point he is trying to make is it will break down quickly ie during a 2:30 long race that is a bad choice. I will stick with my Amsoill and my piece of mind. You guys that run Rotella do realize you aren't even running an oil designed for motorcycle use in a motorcycle right?

Do you realize it passed the same JASO standards as an oil designed for motorcycle use (whatever that is, besides a pic of a bike on the bottle)?

On that note, anyone have any proof of an engine failure that can be traced back to Rotella not protecting the components?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.