Andrea Bartolini YZM400F engine and project.

80 replies to this topic
  • artracing

Posted August 18, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hello,

Thought you guys might like seeing this and maybe you can help with this project.
This is Andrea Bartolin's Works YZM400F engine and the project is to place this engine in
replica bike.
For historical reasons, this engine would be far better off back into a bike instead of on a shelf.
The bike will be run but not raced.

Right now I would like to build the history for the YZM400F, with race data, magazine articles and photos. I have not found any photos of Andrea on his bike in 1997. On the other hand there are lot of Doug Henry photos. I made a trip to Motorcycle Hall of Fame where Doug's bike is and took about 200 detailed photos.

I found articles in Dirt Bike magazine Feb and Dec 1997 which by the way, the Dec issue shows this exact engine. Also American Motorcyclist June 1997

As for the donor bike, the plan so far is production 1998. Not likely i'll find a custom titanium original.

http://huskyrestorat...m/?page_id=2602

Rob

• grayracer513

Posted August 18, 2012 - 09:51 AM

Posted Image

• artracing

Posted August 18, 2012 - 05:43 PM

Yes, that is goal. Found white plastic kit in UK if I go this way. Decals can be duplicated. I think someone in Italy makes the aluminum tank. Need to make a component check list that's on the Works bike and see what I can and can not make. The titanium frame is out and the Carbonfiber subframe would be difficult. Carbonfiber engine mounts not a problem. Etc.

• artracing

Posted August 25, 2012 - 05:06 AM

Just trying to get some kind of historical feed back on this subject. Maybe this thread is better off in Vintage section ?
If someone can connect me with some people associated with YZM400F program that would be great.

• grayracer513

Posted August 25, 2012 - 05:47 PM

The most easily approachable person I can think of who might at least know who to ask would be Doug Dubach, owner of Dubach Racing (DRD). He's been involved with Yamaha as as a test rider on and off from around '99 at least.

• SmokinJoe90

Posted August 25, 2012 - 07:51 PM

Not sure how much this will help you but it was a long while back friend took a '00 yz 125 subframe one of the ac racing ones. With minimal mod's put it on his '01 yz250f the right side lower had to be bent up ward a lil to match the frame mount. A new pipe mount was welded in place and the front upper mounting holes were enlarged some going towards the gas tank.

This gave the bike a kind of look like the yzm400 cause it used the 125's rear fender n side num plates the stock 250f seat was used i can't seem to remember if it was the 125 airbox also was used or not it's been a few years since.

• artracing

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:14 AM

Wow, Doug was involved with the actual YZM400F program.
What a perfect recommendation. Thank you so much.
I sent him a email.

Rob

• artracing

Posted August 26, 2012 - 05:18 AM

Not sure how much this will help you but it was a long while back friend took a '00 yz 125 subframe one of the ac racing ones. With minimal mod's put it on his '01 yz250f the right side lower had to be bent up ward a lil to match the frame mount. A new pipe mount was welded in place and the front upper mounting holes were enlarged some going towards the gas tank.

This gave the bike a kind of look like the yzm400 cause it used the 125's rear fender n side num plates the stock 250f seat was used i can't seem to remember if it was the 125 airbox also was used or not it's been a few years since.

Thank you. I will use a YZ400F for this project and duplicate what I can. I still have not found Andrea bike in photo.

• artracing

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:00 AM

I believe this is Andrea Bartolini YZM400F from 1997. I dont think to many people realize he pre-dates Doug Henry. He is part of the history making four stroke revolution.

Posted Image

• CaveMike

Posted September 04, 2012 - 11:11 PM

CaveMike look at artracing link. Wow. Him impressed. Make CaveMike want build motorcycle from him recycling. 400 coors light cans probably enough for make a Honda yeah?

Edited by CaveMike, September 04, 2012 - 11:42 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HRC

Posted September 05, 2012 - 10:17 AM

I've got tons of pictures of that 1997 prototype YZM400 laying around somewhere. I'll try to post some of them soon.

Swedish mx prorider, Peter Johansson was teammate with Andrea Bartolini in 1997/1998 and also won some races on it those years.

Peter, Andrea and Doug Henry where all riding this yzm400 back in those 97/98 seasons. Developing directly for the Yamaha Japan factory. Ofcourse Doug Doubach was also involved in the development aswell.

• artracing

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:50 PM

I've got tons of pictures of that 1997 prototype YZM400 laying around somewhere. I'll try to post some of them soon.

Swedish mx prorider, Peter Johansson was teammate with Andrea Bartolini in 1997/1998 and also won some races on it those years.

Peter, Andrea and Doug Henry where all riding this yzm400 back in those 97/98 seasons. Developing directly for the Yamaha Japan factory. Ofcourse Doug Doubach was also involved in the development aswell.

Wow
If possible can I get all the photos you have. I hooked up with a company to copy the graphics but need more shots of Bartolini bike?
Picking up a donor bike in few weeks and found all white plastics at UK company.
Spoke briefly with Doug Henry and sent a email to Doug Doubach but he never responded.
I need to find out if the electrics on the works engine are same as stock. I am missing the CDI unit. Doug Henry thought so.
Love to speak to Bob Oliver, I hear he is fluent with this deal but no clue how to reach him.

• HRC

Posted September 06, 2012 - 08:28 AM

Sorry , just a test trying to learn how to post pics with iphone on this forum...

Posted Image

• HRC

Posted September 06, 2012 - 08:30 AM

Sorry , just a test trying to learn how to post pics with iphone on this forum...

Posted Image

Can you guys see the pic above ?

• HRC

Posted September 06, 2012 - 09:21 AM

Here you go ! Pics and info from back in the day

The number 3 bike is Swede Peter Johansson's factory yzm400

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• artracing

Posted September 06, 2012 - 04:52 PM

Terrific article . What magazine and date. Got to get a copy of that.
Would you know if any of the #3 bikes exist. I heard they the #5 and #3 were distroyed.
Talking to Doug Henry there were six bikes total. Two for each rider. Doug has one in Hall of Fame and his other is in Yamaha museum.
That article show the subframe I have not seen before.
It just might be able to be copied.

• artracing

Posted September 06, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Got the magazine dates. Motocross Action, March and December 1997

• Parx_400

Posted September 26, 2012 - 03:03 PM

Didn't Henry have another prototype with only 1 exhaust port? I think I read it was closer to the production version and it blew up

• artracing

Posted September 27, 2012 - 04:02 AM

Last month I was told by Doug that each racer got two bikes each. Andrea Bartolini got two and Pete Johansson got two of the dual port. I have been speaking with Pete Steinbrecher he said there was enough parts to make a total of 15 bikes.
Right now all I know of is the one #20 bike in Yamaha museum and one that Doug owns. I was told all the rest were distroyed accept for the electric start engine in have.
I think this was the only year that AMA allowed true works bike. Bartolini won 99 world championship on a production bike I think.

BTW I got 1998 YZ400F as a donor bike for this engine project.

• Parx_400

Posted September 27, 2012 - 07:47 AM

So sad they destroyed such things.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.