Clutch disengagement...

6 replies to this topic
  • SoundChaser

Posted October 03, 2001 - 11:39 AM

Hey Folks-
Anybody ever experience a situation where the clutch doesn't appear to disengage? (re-reading that I should probably say more)
A day after some track-bashing I was trying to roll my bike out of the garage for a wash, and even after pulling in the clutch lever it would not disengage the clutch. I can shift fine into neutral or any other gear, but when in gear it will not roll(this is when the engine is not running). This happened before, so I tore the clutch apart and measured the plates and all was in spec. and no glazing on friction plates.

Has anyone experienced this and should I be concerned ???

• J_Bone

Posted October 03, 2001 - 12:52 PM

Originally posted by SoundChaser:
Hey Folks-
Anybody ever experience a situation where the clutch doesn't appear to disengage? (re-reading that I should probably say more)
A day after some track-bashing I was trying to roll my bike out of the garage for a wash, and even after pulling in the clutch lever it would not disengage the clutch. I can shift fine into neutral or any other gear, but when in gear it will not roll(this is when the engine is not running). This happened before, so I tore the clutch apart and measured the plates and all was in spec. and no glazing on friction plates.

Has anyone experienced this and should I be concerned ???

Your bike shouldn't roll while it's in gear!! At all!!
Now if I'm reading this right, If the clutch wouldn't disengauge that would make it roll all the time??

• Boit

Posted October 03, 2001 - 12:52 PM

That's normal. A cold engine will have quite a bit of clutch drag.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SoundChaser

Posted October 03, 2001 - 01:25 PM

J-Bone,
Sorry, If I confused you, but I think Boit caught my drift....Say for instance it's in first gear, you pull in the clutch, you should be able to roll it forward, or backward for that matter. It will not roll as if the clutch hadn't been pulled in at all. If Boit's right, the clutch is dragging and believes that to be normal.
Boit thanks for seeing through my feeble attempt at journalism!

• Boit

Posted October 04, 2001 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, I knew what you meant cuz I noticed it with my bike. I think J_Bone was yanking your chain.

• sirthumpalot

Posted October 04, 2001 - 02:36 PM

I think J_Bone may have gotten "Disengage" and "Engage" mixed up.

• holeshot

Posted October 05, 2001 - 02:59 PM

Yes, I have experienced this problem (or very close). I was having problems with the clutch not disengaging completely ('00 426) and it had a sort of vague feel. I took the clutch apart, couldn't find anything wrong, except that there was very excessive play in the inner hub where the splined steel bushing is supposed to be solidly cast into the aluminum hub. Crazy as it sounds, I put it back together and went riding at Elsinore (I think I briefly met someone going by the name J-dem-bones that day, not sure if it's the same person as J-bones in this post).

Anyway, after a few laps of whining about how my clutch wouldn't disengage completely and how tough it was to ride in tight corners (and shift) I suddenly had no drive in all gears, and had to push it.

When I took it apart, it was apparent that the bushing had started to spin within the hub, giving no drive. It had cooled, so the bushing couldn't be moved at that point (expansion rates of aluminum and steel being different, the alum. hub had simply contracted around the steel bushing).

Everything looks so clear after the fact, but - when the hub bushing started to loosen (nope, the nut wasn't loose), it allowed the hub and pressure plate to lift off at an angle, and not allow the plates to disengage completely, thereby causing the draggy clutch.

When you look at the nut holding your clutch inner hub, the lockwasher should be in perfect shape, with tabs pointing back into the hub. If the lockwasher looks flattened and mangled, then the hub is rotating (1/16 to 1/8 turn) and rocking back and forth, and you are very close to loosing your clutch. There has been more than one report of this problem.

If the lockwasher looks like new - well, then disregard everything above. Posted Image

------------------
Holeshot's Page

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.