Does a WR250/450 stator fit a YZF400?

4 replies to this topic
  • Ascinder

Posted August 16, 2012 - 07:22 AM

I have been searching trying find a stator to throw in a 99 YZF400. I have come across one thread saying I can use a 00 WR400/ 01-02 WR426 / 01-02 WR250 stator in my YZF. Then I can across this thread LINK which points to being able to use a 450 and 400 stator interchangeably. Wouldn't that also apply to the WR450 stators too? I am hoping it will work because I have had absolutely no luck finding any of the other WR stators to date. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:00 AM

I can across this thread LINK which points to being able to use a 450 and 400 stator interchangeably. Wouldn't that also apply to the WR450 stators too? I am hoping it will work because I have had absolutely no luck finding any of the other WR stators to date. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The link you posted here contains no such information, and if it did, it would be wrong. No YZ450F flywheel/stator (there are 3 different generations, all different) will fit anything but the bike it was made for. Likewise, the flywheel stator from a WR450F of any year (there are now two) cannot be used in any other bike. The post is otherwise correct.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ascinder

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:31 AM

This is what I was referring to:

just a little did bit of info that i feel like i should input. about a year ago a buddy of mine's 03yz450f was having stator issues and didn't have the money to buy a yz450 stator. luckily i happen to have a 1998 yz400f stator laying around and and we compared them. The two were exactly the same so we installed the 400 stator onto the 450 and it has been running and charging the bike for at least a year. i am wondering if, since this worked why wouldn't it work the other way?

• grayracer513

Posted August 16, 2012 - 10:38 AM

I can't verify this, as the original and updated part numbers for the '99 YZ400F and '03 YZ450F stators are different. The flywheels will not interchange in any event, and the WR450 stuff will absolutely not fit.

• toyotanick

Posted September 21, 2012 - 08:30 PM

i am not sure if the stator i bought may have been for a 450 but was intended and titles as though it was a yz400f stator off of a 98 yz400f. the stator went right and and the bike has been running on it for a year or so now. the biggest issue with this is that my buddy just recently traded the bike for a truck and now i cant even look into this. which really sucks because i want to know what stator it actually was!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.