Rear Sprocket Problem

3 replies to this topic
  • travertt

Posted August 14, 2012 - 08:31 AM

Gentlemen...my problem

I ride an 04 450F....never had any problems with my rear sprocket since I bought the bike (3-4 years ago).

Two rides ago I just happened to grab the rear sprocket while cleaning the bike and noticed it was quite loose. All six bolts had come loose....took a good two full turns each to re-tighten.

Went for a ride the next weekend and checked the sprocket during a break and the same thing...all six bolts were loose..all roughly the same amount. I tightened them up again (reefed them down pretty hard) and finished the ride with no issues at the end.

Next ride..same thing happened..6 loose bolts.

Anyone have an idea why this issue just started after three years of no problems? I did change the rear sprocket about two years ago but just had this "self loosening" issue start in the last three weeks.

I have ordered an new bolt set but I am concerned that this has just started to happen for apparantly no good reason....any input would be appreciated.

PS...In the Yamaha parts fiche they show a bolt, washer and nut...there were no washers on mine....but also no problem for over three years even after changing the sprocket and without locktite (red). Did I just get lucky for the last two years running with no locktite and would that solve my problem??

PPS...Yamaha wanted $8 for each grouping of bolt, washer and nut...$48 to bolt on the sprocket...YIKES!!! So I have ordered a set of aftermarket bolts....$12 for the full set. Has anybody out there used these aftermarket sets....any problems?

Thanks for the help

• MANIAC998

Posted August 14, 2012 - 04:25 PM

You probably got lucky that you had three years with no problems. I recommend using Loctite(red or blue) the next time you bolt that rear sprocket back on. But first, check the condition of the holes that the bolt slides thru on the hub. If they are ovalized from previously being loose, you might continue having issues.
Maniac

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • travertt

Posted August 14, 2012 - 07:51 PM

check the condition of the holes that the bolt slides thru on the hub. If they are ovalized from previously being loose, you might continue having issues.

Hmmm...didn't think of that...thanks Maniac

• GlennR

Posted August 15, 2012 - 03:35 AM

I don't know because I haven't removed my sprocket yet, but the nuts may be "all metal locknuts" which look like regular nuts but are slightly crimped to grab the bolt. After multiple reuse they become worn and don't lock.

Just use Loctite.

I have noticed that he brake rotor bolts come with Loctite pre-applied.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.