Chain Length and Guide for 13/52 Combo on '08?

7 replies to this topic
  • Mtn-Track

Posted August 13, 2012 - 12:46 PM

I know some of you may have tried or do run a 13/52T combo, but have you found an aftermarket chain guide that gives you a better shot at the rear sprocket? Did you make your own guide drop bracket? If not, how long of a chain did you go with on the 13/52 combo to push the sprocket back farther and still have room for chain-stretch adjustment?

Thanks...

• DrFeelGood

Posted August 13, 2012 - 02:35 PM

I have 13/52 on mine with the stock chain. Plenty of room to adjust.

I am, however getting a 12 CSS. 13 is just too tall.

• Mtn-Track

Posted August 14, 2012 - 05:27 AM

I still have the stock chain, but the guide is eating the outside of it with the angle onto the 51T rear. I want to try a 52T, maybe a 53T, or just step the front down to a 12T and the rear back to a 50T.

What I really want is the bottom gearing of the KTM-W's that I ride with that seem to tractor up the steep, craggy trails.

What did you do about the angle on your chain guide and any slider problems that you know of going to a 12T front?

Thanks.

Edited by Mtn-Track, August 14, 2012 - 07:03 AM.

• DrFeelGood

Posted August 15, 2012 - 05:45 AM

I didn't change anything with the rear guide. I'm not seeing any unusual wear.

I don't think the 12 CSS will cause any issues either, but I'll let you know if it does.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mtn-Track

Posted August 15, 2012 - 07:10 AM

Thanks for your input. I ordred a 12T CSS and will go back to the 50T rear to lessen the approach angle from the guide.
I did some more looking and I came across Gearing Commander. I ran the combinations and think the 12/50 will give me what I'm after without using huge rear sprocket (damage magnet) and chain guide issues.

• wrwest

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:16 PM

I run a 12 on the front with no problems 50 at the back.

• Mtn-Track

Posted August 16, 2012 - 05:38 AM

I run a 12 on the front with no problems 50 at the back.

Nice! That's where I'm headed. Thank you.

• n16ht5

Posted August 16, 2012 - 09:47 PM

ride faster, gear taller

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.