09 yz450f harescramble setup

21 replies to this topic
  • Mark537

Posted August 13, 2012 - 06:43 AM

I just got an 09 yz450f. I had an 08 so not much of a change. This is what I have done so far

gytr fww
rekluse clutch
fmf megabomb header and 4.1 exhaust
fmf powerup kit
barkbusters

My next stuff to work on is the bar setup. I have been reading about taller bars possibly. I am also curious if anyone has played with the factory upper triple clamp mounting positions and your thoughts on them. I am also looking for help on any suspension setup help. I normally run about 100mm of sag. I am 6ft and 170-lbs probably around 180 geared up. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2012 - 06:53 AM

IMO, the bike is both more comfortable and handles better with bars set taller and farther forward than the base OEM position. I am 5'10ish and ride mostly off-road and desert races, and I find the Pro Taper Windham bend to be an enormous improvement on both scores. The Windhams are about 15mm taller and position your hands about the same amount forward of the OEM position on my '06, and with this, the bike is very easy to stand over for extended periods. The bars give me enough room to stand in a relaxed upright position with the bars still far enough forward of my legs for good control, and change the whole dynamic of how the front reacts to rider input in corners while seated.

• Mark537

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:01 AM

Thanks grey I was actually reading a post where you were talking about how you liked the windham bend. I am probably going to order a set. Did you cut them down at all? Do you have any information about the factory 09 triple clamp positions? Do you think the farther formard postion is better?

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:45 AM

I would lean toward the forward position, but that's something you'll need to experiment with. My '06 only has one set of holes in the top clamp, and I don't know where that is relative to the two sets you have. The bar clamps themselves are offset, of course, so they offer a forward or rearward bias, and mine have always been set in the forward position.

The YZF has always liked the rider forward, so in that regard, I think it helps you be more comfortable with sitting up there. I did not cut the bars down from their full width, although I could probably lose an inch off the ends and not miss it much.

• Mark537

Posted August 13, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Thanks I ordered a set of the bars and this weekend will hopefully get a chance to test some if this out. I also noticed that the front end felt a bit harsh. Would it make it more plush to lower the oil level in the forks 5mm?

• FinchFan194

Posted August 13, 2012 - 11:02 AM

x2 on the Windham bend.

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2012 - 02:31 PM

Yes, lowering the oil level in the outer chamber can help that, but you shouldn't go below 300cc. You can dump 5cc each side by pulling the forks out of the clamps and pumping it out the vent caps.

The YZ fork is a little tougher to set up cushy soft for roots and rock gardens while still retaining good performance at speed, but it's completely doable. Same with the shock. If you ever decide to do any rework on these, let me know.

• YamaLink

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:15 PM

I'm under 6 feet and the oem bar rise for the past few years have seemed low and close as many others stated. I'm using 5mm spacers and so far it's been good for my torso height and riding position.

• FinchFan194

Posted August 13, 2012 - 08:09 PM

I just got an 09 yz450f. I had an 08 so not much of a change. This is what I have done so far

gytr fww
rekluse clutch
fmf megabomb header and 4.1 exhaust
fmf powerup kit
barkbusters

My next stuff to work on is the bar setup. I have been reading about taller bars possibly. I am also curious if anyone has played with the factory upper triple clamp mounting positions and your thoughts on them. I am also looking for help on any suspension setup help. I normally run about 100mm of sag. I am 6ft and 170-lbs probably around 180 geared up. Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

I have an 08 with a most of the same mods, only other thing I think you should do is send your suspension off to TBT for a revalved, I absolutely love my TBT suspenders!

• antfizzle

Posted August 14, 2012 - 05:01 AM

Hey grayracer, I recently rebuilt my forks in my 09 yz450, I added 350cc of oil and they are a bit harsh, how do I lower the fork oil amount??? Could you go into detail on the process please, thankyou

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 14, 2012 - 06:52 AM

See post #7. There's not really that much to it.

• Mark537

Posted August 16, 2012 - 07:12 AM

I have an 08 with a most of the same mods, only other thing I think you should do is send your suspension off to TBT for a revalved, I absolutely love my TBT suspenders!

What rekluse springs are you running? I was thinking about putting in the stiffer engagement springs and running my idle a little bit higher. To try and guarantee no stalls.

• FinchFan194

Posted August 16, 2012 - 02:24 PM

What rekluse springs are you running? I was thinking about putting in the stiffer engagement springs and running my idle a little bit higher. To try and guarantee no stalls.

Yes I run the stiffer setup on my z-start pro and I removed 3 ball bearings to make it smooth at low speeds. So far it is working great, haven't raced this new setup though and as we all know a race is when I will truely find out if it is working properly.

• mark twiggs

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:19 AM

I found a used z-start for my 08 450yz which I am setting up for hare scrambles in n. Cal. I race the A senior class. I found a z-start used for 300 or do I buy a exp for 400.00 new. My whole reason for buying it is not to stall it while racing. My question is do you have to readjust them much, do you have to replace clutch plates sooner then normal, do you notice any other benefits from the rekluse besides not stalling?

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2012 - 08:31 AM

My question is do you have to readjust them much, do you have to replace clutch plates sooner then normal, do you notice any other benefits from the rekluse besides not stalling?

If it's a Z-Start Pro (uses your normal clutch cable) then keep it. It's better than the EXP.

To your questions above, no, not after the original set up, no, and yes, quite a few. If you don't get a complete set of instructions with the clutch, get them from Rekluse directly by calling or e-mailing them. I only had to try two different settings before I got mine where I wanted it, and I haven't really tinkered with it since then.

The plates I installed it with were the used steels that came with the clutch and the 5 year old OEM plates that were in the bike. The clutch worked fine for all of the next year, at which point I decided to replace the plates because the clutch was dragging more than it should have. The new set of Rekluse steels (have to use theirs) was only $40. I used a set of plates from an '09 YFZ450R quad, which had more to do with a parts guy mix-up than a plan, but it works extremely well (the YZ450 set is 8 of 5TA-16321-00-00 drive plates, while the YFZ clutch used 6 5TA's in the middle with 2 5VY-16321-00-00 plates, one at the top and bottom of the stack. The 5VY's are from an R1).

Besides prevent most brake stalling, the clutch will, if set up right, prevent virtually all stalling under power in gear, and is a huge help in the tight stuff, especially with the close ratio MX transmission. I run my bike geared at 13/48 and no longer feel any need for a lower first gear.

You can stall the bike with either the brake or during low speed operation if you have in way too high of a gear, and the clutch can make you lazy about downshifting after a while, so you may have to think about shifting while you get used to it. Also, if you're one of those people who jacked the pilot jet way rich to stop a bog or decel backfire, you'll probably find that the engine is prone to flaming out on sudden on-off throttle maneuvers at low speeds.

Otherwise, the Rekluse is a great asset for off-road work. But make a habit of pulling the clutch when you start the bike. The fact that the engine will turn over doesn't mean it's not in gear....

• mark twiggs

Posted September 11, 2012 - 03:35 PM

If stalling was not an issue would you still install a rekluse. I did install the 9 oz heavier fly wheel which helped quite a lot.

• grayracer513

Posted September 11, 2012 - 07:55 PM

I run that flywheel, too, but it does more to improve low end power and traction than it does to prevent stalling. But no, if stalling wasn't an issue, what would the reason be?

There's brake stalling, which is annoying, but really pretty avoidable, but the real problem is dealing with the nasty, tight stuff where you're constantly riding the clutch. Sooner or later, you screw up. With the Rekluse, I never have to restart the bike during a race unless I crash.

• lit549

Posted September 16, 2012 - 05:19 PM

I have to say on my 09 yz 450 i have the rekluse core exp..I installed the heavy springs and you have to have the jetting pretty spot on or itll keep stalling..I spent alot of time on the phone with rekluse and thats what fixed my stalling with a rekluse..Now i love it!

• FinchFan194

Posted September 16, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Just leaned out my pilot a size and the bike only stalled once today during my race. Thing is kick butt again!

• YZPaGuy

Posted September 17, 2012 - 06:41 PM

x2 on the revalve. the only better things I have done to my bike is the flywheel and moving the new windham bend bars forward. Loving the bike now but it mandates rider forward to corner good.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.