2006 yz450 overheats

5 replies to this topic
  • TwIzTeD NuTz

Posted August 12, 2012 - 07:33 PM

I have a 2006 yz450 that keeps pressurizing the cooling system. I just sent the head off and had it rebuilt I would assume that the shop who rebuilt the head would have checked for cracks and so forth. I installed the head and still have my cooling system getting pressurized, I'm starting to think I need to have the cylinder checked, I have replaced all o rings and seals in the Cooling system along with the radiator cap. Im also wonder if it's possible that the head bolts have been over torqued and stretched? I'm at my wits end trying to track this down. I have put a pressure tester on the system and confirmed that it for sure has a leak I just don't know where??!!

• grayracer513

Posted August 13, 2012 - 06:32 AM

Heating the coolant pressurizes the cooling system under normal conditions. Let's assume you knew that and that you're talking about an abnormal level of pressure. You can have the system tested for the presence of combustion gases, which definitively indicates a combustion leak into the cooling system, or rules it out.

How did you do the head torque?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=972816

• TwIzTeD NuTz

Posted August 17, 2012 - 04:51 PM

Heating the coolant pressurizes the cooling system under normal conditions. Let's assume you knew that and that you're talking about an abnormal level of pressure. You can have the system tested for the presence of combustion gases, which definitively indicates a combustion leak into the cooling system, or rules it out.
O
How did you do the head torque?

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=972816

Lol yeah I'm referring to an abnormal pressure. It pressurizes enough to fill my overflow bottle and puke it out the overflow. Please keep in mind this engine is in a quad. If you look at one of my previous post I have a picture of the head you can tell it got pretty damn hot. I sent the head off had it checked, new valves installed and so forth. I didn't resurface the cylinder and I think that's the issue. Head was torqued just like you said in that post.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted August 17, 2012 - 05:00 PM

In that case, the next most likely thing is that the head and/or the cylinder deck isn't flat enough, whether it was "checked" or not. Everything else sounds correct, the way it's written up.

Has the cylinder been checked for cracks/flatness?

Have you verified that the water pump is turning?

• TwIzTeD NuTz

Posted August 17, 2012 - 06:45 PM

I had the actual head checked and surfaced while it was being serviced. I'm really debating on buying a new cylinder, or havin the one on it surfaced?

• TwIzTeD NuTz

Posted August 17, 2012 - 07:37 PM

Also I'll double check the water pump impeller when I drain the coolant again

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.