2012 WR450 Starting woes

Yamaha WR450F 2012

500 replies to this topic
  • vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2013 - 12:55 PM

No worries, glad to help. It has one strange function you can make it cycle the headlight on and off (not sure why you would need such a feature) Edit: I should also mention that one I received didn't come with leeds to connect it to battery (I used a 12volt power supply) and there is no manual of any description, but it's fairly straight forward.

I just ordered one can you tell me if the center pin is 12 Volts + or - . Thanks

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 01:15 PM

I just ordered one can you tell me if the center pin is 12 Volts + or - . Thanks

The center pin is positive.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Thanks I put in a charger plug right next to the programing plug. So I can plug the 12 volts into that plug and get 12V for the programer.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2013 - 01:47 PM

Are you able to adjust the CO while the motor is running? And can you listen to the RPMs increase as you had more fuel to the point that the RPM's drop from to much fuel?

• Corkster

TT Bronze Member

236 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 02:37 PM

Are you able to adjust the CO while the motor is running? And can you listen to the RPMs increase as you had more fuel to the point that the RPM's drop from to much fuel?

Not on mine.  That's why I used the gas analyser.

• W85W58

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Corkster,

Did you see how far beyond 5% you could get or did you just stop there?

Jon

• mch

TT Silver Member

591 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:40 PM

This is the one I bought, there are cheaper ones by the same supplier but I was impatient and paid extra for faster shipping. http://m.aliexpress....obilesitedetail

What's your plan?  Get a CO2 tester or just up it to 10 or so and see how it starts / runs?  I was thinking I could spend 100 or so for the diagnostic tool, but the tester would be a bit much at this time.  My WR has issues when it's cold and at altitude, but seemed to start up pretty good over the summer.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 08:57 PM

What's your plan? Get a CO2 tester or just up it to 10 or so and see how it starts / runs? I was thinking I could spend 100 or so for the diagnostic tool, but the tester would be a bit much at this time. My WR has issues when it's cold and at altitude, but seemed to start up pretty good over the summer.

At this stage I will just bump the set point up a bit and see if that helps,still trying to convince myself that I would have some use for a gas analyzer. My bike is very hit and miss when it comes to starting.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 12:33 AM

After work I had a bit of a play with adjusting the the mixture, set it to +20 like corkster's, it started without hesitation but smelt very rich so I backed it off to +16, it now starts first time so far every time, I even stalled it on purpose and it fired straight back up which would never happen before.
I would still like to put a sniffer on it but am very happy with results so far.
The bike has all restrictions removed a FMF Q4 slip on, FMF map and idle set to 2000rpm.
Cheers

• Tbluff

TT Newbie

2 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 03:53 AM

Hey Boston 460, have you tried the other maps with your setup. I found the fmf map a bit sluggish. Try the Aussie map or the jay map and you will feel the power difference.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 04:13 AM

Hey Boston 460, have you tried the other maps with your setup. I found the fmf map a bit sluggish. Try the Aussie map or the jay map and you will feel the power difference.

I did try the Aussie map only briefly should load it back up, from memory it made the bike harder to start,(hopefully it won't be a problem now) the jay map is a lot of fun had it loaded for couple months put the FMF map for a ride I went on and haven't changed it back.

Edited by boston460, October 22, 2013 - 04:15 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,872 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:00 AM

What is the Jay map ?

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:20 AM

I ordered the scan tool. If the connector doesn't fit, I'll figure out the pin out and make one up.

FYI, My WR started really well all summer. Other riders literally shook their head at how easy it started while they kicked their bikes (including 2 strokes !) to life.

Now that its fall it gets a bit cranky at high elevations in the cold. By cranky, I mean that I once had to kick it 3 times. I want to richen it up just a bit.

My dealer doesn't know anything about this process and besides, he would charge me more to do it than what it costs to buy the tool. I also know a guy with a YZ250F with the TPS not working. I'm sure this scanner will pay for itself in no time.

I bet your going to have the same problem as the GYTR programer.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,872 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 07:56 AM

I bet your going to have the same problem as the GYTR programer.

Agreed. I have a couple solutions ready to try, as soon as I get some spare time.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:29 AM

After work I had a bit of a play with adjusting the the mixture, set it to +20 like corkster's, it started without hesitation but smelt very rich so I backed it off to +16, it now starts first time so far every time, I even stalled it on purpose and it fired straight back up which would never happen before.
I would still like to put a sniffer on it but am very happy with results so far.
The bike has all restrictions removed a FMF Q4 slip on, FMF map and idle set to 2000rpm.
Cheers

Does your bike have the comp ECU? It would be interesting to see if it's the same comp ECU that we have here in the USA. My dealer says that the USA Comp ECU is the same as the stock Canadian ECU. It would  be nice to know so that we are comparing the same base tuning parameters.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 22, 2013 - 09:31 AM

At this stage I will just bump the set point up a bit and see if that helps,still trying to convince myself that I would have some use for a gas analyzer. My bike is very hit and miss when it comes to starting.

It's kind like the old days with a carbureted bike. Up the pilot jet and see how she runs. Add or subtract from their, most of us didn't use gas analyzers then either.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 12:54 PM

What is the Jay map ?

The Jay map is the Jay Marmont map, he is an Australian SX rider that used to ride for Yamaha, Yamaha Australia released the map settings that he used for people to upload to their bikes.

Edited by boston460, October 22, 2013 - 05:21 PM.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:07 PM

Does your bike have the comp ECU? It would be interesting to see if it's the same comp ECU that we have here in the USA. My dealer says that the USA Comp ECU is the same as the stock Canadian ECU. It would be nice to know so that we are comparing the same base tuning parameters.

I was under the impression that the stock ecu Australian bikes have is the same as the US comp ecu. It would be nice to get a few CO readings from a number of factory set bikes to see if the readings are the same, or are they different which may be a reason why some bikes are harder to start then others.

Edited by boston460, October 22, 2013 - 01:33 PM.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:19 PM

It's kind like the old days with a carbureted bike. Up the pilot jet and see how she runs. Add or subtract from their, most of us didn't use gas analyzers then either.

It would be nice to be able to have the bike running and play with CO setting, whilst not ideal adjusting and then running should get pretty good results if you know what you're looking for.

• Corkster

TT Bronze Member

236 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 01:24 PM

I agree - if I didn't have a gas analyser I would bump the idle setting up or down in increments of 10 as a start point  to see what happened.  Then fine tune in increments of 5.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

GYTR/FMF Pipe Installation 2012 WR450F by Andrew Puetz

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions by stevethe

• Hot  226 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 IMS fuel tank by Dave WR450

• Hot  30 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.