* * * * * 1 votes

2012 WR450 Starting woes

Yamaha WR450F 2012

500 replies to this topic
  • timpjr

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have a 13' and was having problems with hot starting. Took it into the dealer here in Reno NV. They had just received the FI diagnostic tuner (still in the shipping box) and were unfamiliar with its use. Got a call today and was told that the CO was set at less than 1% and it ended up set about 3.5% after figuring out some comm. Issues. He tuned it just like using a mixture screw adjusting it till it ran too rich and then backing it off. Can't wait to see what difference that makes.

• Corkster

TT Bronze Member

236 posts

Posted October 16, 2013 - 02:02 PM

Do you know where I can get the WR cable for the stand alone tool without buying the second unit ?

OR

Would you be willing to figure out the pin out for the SYM connector and share it with us ?

Don't know where you can get the cable from.  I would contact the seller of the stand alone tool and ask for a price with the SYM cable instead of the Yamaha cable.  Not sure what you mean by figuring out the pin out? Happy to help though if I can.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 04:42 AM

Don't know where you can get the cable from.  I would contact the seller of the stand alone tool and ask for a price with the SYM cable instead of the Yamaha cable.

I sent them an email. I haven't heard anything back.

Not sure what you mean by figuring out the pin out? Happy to help though if I can.

The unit appears to use a DB9 connector as an intermediate connector to the various bike specific connectors. I could make my own connector if you used an ohm meter to find out which DB9 pins are connected to which 3 pins on the WR connector.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 04:45 AM

I searched for motorcycle scanner.  It was the programmer and the cable.  The listing says 2013 for YAMAHA motorcycle repair tool latest motobike diagnostic scanner tool autocycle autobike diagnos

Found it. Thanks.

I can't tell if this will fit or not. Does Yamaha have a diagnostic connector on other bikes that looks similar but is different ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-for-yamaha-motorcycle-repair-tool-latest.jpg

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, October 17, 2013 - 04:49 AM.

• funt

TT Bronze Member

105 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 05:12 AM

There's a white one that has more of a square shape.  I think that's the older one that fits the quads.  I'll try to link a picture...  618863962_528.jpg

Edited by funt, October 17, 2013 - 05:15 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 07:39 AM

I ordered the scan tool. If the connector doesn't fit, I'll figure out the pin out and make one up.

FYI, My WR started really well all summer. Other riders literally shook their head at how easy it started while they kicked their bikes (including 2 strokes !) to life.

Now that its fall it gets a bit cranky at high elevations in the cold. By cranky, I mean that I once had to kick it 3 times. I want to richen it up just a bit.

My dealer doesn't know anything about this process and besides, he would charge me more to do it than what it costs to buy the tool. I also know a guy with a YZ250F with the TPS not working. I'm sure this scanner will pay for itself in no time.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 17, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Stand alone diagnostic tool with Yamaha cable.  Tool works but the cable does not fit the +2012 WR450

http://www.aliexpres.../564717351.html

Laptop based tool with cables for all main brands.  This includes the SYM cable that fits the +2012 WR450

http://www.aliexpres.../836321163.html

I ended up with both and used the stand alone tool with the cable from the laptop version. 

Did you try out the Laptop version? Did the software support the WR? If this works I would just get this and take the laptop out to the shop and use it. Its not like we are going to take the hand hold one out on the trail.

• Corkster

TT Bronze Member

236 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 02:03 PM

There's a white one that has more of a square shape.  I think that's the older one that fits the quads.  I'll try to link a picture...  618863962_528.jpg

This one does not fit.

• Corkster

TT Bronze Member

236 posts

Posted October 17, 2013 - 02:04 PM

Found it. Thanks.

I can't tell if this will fit or not. Does Yamaha have a diagnostic connector on other bikes that looks similar but is different ?

That looks like the correct one - hard to tell from the photo though.

• Corkster

TT Bronze Member

236 posts

Posted October 18, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Just tried the laptop version and I couldn't make it work.  It was looking for a serial port not a usb connection.

• W85W58

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 19, 2013 - 04:39 AM

Stand alone diagnostic tool with Yamaha cable.  Tool works but the cable does not fit the +2012 WR450

http://www.aliexpres.../564717351.html

Laptop based tool with cables for all main brands.  This includes the SYM cable that fits the +2012 WR450

http://www.aliexpres.../836321163.html

I ended up with both and used the stand alone tool with the cable from the laptop version. 

Have you seen these listed anywhere else? 

I checked Ebay and couldn't find any.

Thanks,

Jon

• Tbluff

TT Newbie

2 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 01:40 AM

Hi Guys, I have the Wr450f and had a few hot starting issues so I lived with it and used the kick starter and it seemed to start easier. Anyway after getting stuck on a few hills and not being able to kick start I thought I would try to fix the problem. Called my yamaha dealer in Dandenong and spoke to the head mechanic told him the problem. He said no probs bring it down its a common problem and he can fix it. Took it down and watched him, he stuck a prong up the exhaust pipe, plugged some kind of digital reader in and proceeded to change some settings. The bike now starts a lot easier and seems to be a lot smoother through the entire rev range. Biggest improvement I noticed was the increase in power. It now wants to lift in 3rd gear the same as it previously did in 2nd gear. The mechanic said they come out tuned incorrectly to meet EPA standards. Anyway it defiantly runs a lot better now.

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 20, 2013 - 10:44 AM

Just tried the laptop version and I couldn't make it work.  It was looking for a serial port not a usb connection.

I use a serial cable all the time with my laptop to run different programs. Just get a Keyspan serial-to-USB adapter. Works great.

keyspan-serial-adapter-usa19hs-300.gif

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 20, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Have you seen these listed anywhere else? 

I checked Ebay and couldn't find any.

Thanks,

Jon

They have them on Amazon.com if you want to pay almost 4 times as much $$

http://www.amazon.co...A/dp/B006U3P3EE

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 01:15 AM

Hi all i decided to take a gamble, and buy the handheld fi diagnostic tool for SYM motorcycles as it comes with the right connection for our bikes, just tried it then and am pleased to say it works:D Thanks Corkster for taking the original risk. Edit I bought it through aliexpress

Edited by boston460, October 21, 2013 - 01:17 AM.

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:00 AM

Hi all i decided to take a gamble, and buy the handheld fi diagnostic tool for SYM motorcycles as it comes with the right connection for our bikes, just tried it then and am pleased to say it works:DThanks Corkster for taking the original risk.Edit I bought it through aliexpress

Can you provide a link to the tool you found that included the Sym cable?
Thanks!

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:12 AM

This is the one I bought, there are cheaper ones by the same supplier but I was impatient and paid extra for faster shipping. http://m.aliexpress....obilesitedetail

Edited by boston460, October 21, 2013 - 05:21 AM.

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2013 - 05:45 AM

This is the one I bought, there are cheaper ones by the same supplier but I was impatient and paid extra for faster shipping. http://m.aliexpress....obilesitedetail

Thanks Boston460... I was hoping the handheld unit that is specific to the Sym would have the correct cable... that is a pretty decent price!

Now to find an affordable CO2 analyzer.....

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 06:09 AM

No worries, glad to help. It has one strange function you can make it cycle the headlight on and off (not sure why you would need such a feature) Edit: I should also mention that one I received didn't come with leeds to connect it to battery (I used a 12volt power supply) and there is no manual of any description, but it's fairly straight forward.

Edited by boston460, October 21, 2013 - 06:25 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Great thread.

Its nice to see everyone working together sharing information on how to resolve this issue.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions by stevethe

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  226 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR450F 2012
  • * * * * -
  • 42 reviews
  • Last review by Ptch5636
  • On October 02, 2016
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

• Hot  76 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.