* * * * * 1 votes

2012 WR450 Starting woes

Yamaha WR450F 2012

500 replies to this topic
  • cwallershasta

TT Bronze Member

177 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 05:49 AM

Yes, I'm in UT and ride at altitude. So, I'm not sure if it's effective at sea level, but it couldn't hurt to try. I don't have to line up the marks on grip I just crack the throttle about an 1/8. As in my previous post on oil, I'm finding that it is starting easier running the Yamalube 0/40 synthetic.

• 123honus

TT Newbie

9 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 06:19 AM

The tolerances on these new bikes are really close.
The more you ride them, the easier they start and shift.
I am only on my second tank of gas and I have noticed about a 50% improvement.
I am at sea level, so altitude may make a big difference.

Does anyone on this site have over 500 miles on his bike yet?
If so what are your experiences.

Edited by 123honus, September 10, 2012 - 06:20 AM.

• cwallershasta

TT Bronze Member

177 posts

Posted September 10, 2012 - 10:05 AM

I do, and so far so good. I notice the difference as the bike breaks in as well.

• W85W58

TT Member

37 posts

Posted September 18, 2012 - 01:39 PM

The tolerances on these new bikes are really close.
The more you ride them, the easier they start and shift.
I am only on my second tank of gas and I have noticed about a 50% improvement.
I am at sea level, so altitude may make a big difference.

Does anyone on this site have over 500 miles on his bike yet?
If so what are your experiences.

I've heard that argument before. Trust me, I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm merely searching for answers.

If tight tolerances were the reason my bike doesn't start when hot, then why does it start hot when I pull the cold start knob? The cold start knob doesn't loosen the tolerances.

Again, just looking for a resolution to my problem.

BTW, Yamaha NA, told me over the phone that after 200 miles the starting problems disappear. I've got just over 200...

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:16 PM

My 2012 has always started fine when cold.... but was a PITA to start after riding for a while. I took Zuch's advise and took her to the dealership and had them use the 'sniffer' on her. Turns out it was running a little lean at idle so they dropped the idling circuit 2%. This change along with opening the throttle 1 degree (just barely past taking the slack out of the throttle) and now the bike fires first time every time, no matter the location or elevation. It takes a little while to get use to the sweet spot on the throttle opening, but it works great now.

My dealer said the idle adjusting tool is a standard tool that is used on other Yamaha machines as well, so I find it hard to believe that some dealerships actually say they don't have one... ??

Good luck all.

• cwallershasta

TT Bronze Member

177 posts

Posted October 04, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Running the Yamalube 0-40 synthetic has made a difference for me. It starts in clod temps, no problem. Also seems to help with hot starts too because the motor cools down faster. I never thought I would be running 0-40 in anything, but I'm sold now as to it being the best choice for this bike anyway.

• W85W58

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 21, 2012 - 02:11 PM

My dealer said the idle adjusting tool is a standard tool that is used on other Yamaha machines as well, so I find it hard to believe that some dealerships actually say they don't have one... ??

You're right about the tool. The dealer told me he didn't have it and what he was referring to was the program to hook it up to a computer for analysis. I sat next to him as he tweaked the CO output.

He tried to get the bike dialed in, but was unsuccessful. He basically threw his hands in the air and said it needs to be broken in. He more or less echoed the sentiments of Yamaha NA, when I called them on the phone.

Yamaha NA said over 200 miles the problems go away.

Dealer said over 600 miles the problems go away.

I ran the Shen500 and now have 523 miles on it and still counting...

Changed the oil to MOTUL 300V as per the dealer. His feeling was that it would help my starting issues.

I just took the bike out of the garage. Started on the 4th try (60 deg F, sea level). Starting messing around and ended up stalling it in my driveway. Took 11 tries to get it started.

I love the bike once it's running, but this starting issue is a major PITA! Some people would probably ignore it and just ride... I wish I had their temperment.

I spent a lot of money on the bike and it's been disappointing. I nearly bought a KTM... wish I had now.

I've considered selling it several times and I may do so after I figure out what to replace it with.

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 21, 2012 - 08:21 PM

Jworth-

Try one thing for me.... after running the bike long enough that its warmed up and doesn't want to restart, open the throttle just enough that the cable just starts to engage and try to start the bike. Yamaha says the hot-start procedure is to match the line on the grip to the line on the throttle housing, but that is just too far. As soon as I found the "sweet" spot on the throttle, my bike fires EVERY time I tap the button. She has 400 some miles along with the FMF and ECU upgrades.

Hopefully this works for you... it has worked for every 2012 WR that has been sold here locally, and the Altitude just doesn't matter, it works everywhere I ride it, so I think there is something to this...

• luckyone24

TT Member

31 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 05:40 AM

• boise is right on in the case of my hard start situation... just had to find the right amount of throttle to get er to start and if it dont right off..dont keep cranking! it will flood out ...what i do is shut down power for a few seconds then try it again . second time it always starts

• cwallershasta

TT Bronze Member

177 posts

Posted October 22, 2012 - 10:23 AM

Yamalube 0 40 synthetic, it starts excellant now hot or cold, and I can't find anything wrong with the rest of the bike either. Glad I didn't buy a KTM.

• W85W58

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Jworth-

Try one thing for me.... after running the bike long enough that its warmed up and doesn't want to restart, open the throttle just enough that the cable just starts to engage and try to start the bike. Yamaha says the hot-start procedure is to match the line on the grip to the line on the throttle housing, but that is just too far. As soon as I found the "sweet" spot on the throttle, my bike fires EVERY time I tap the button. She has 400 some miles along with the FMF and ECU upgrades.

Hopefully this works for you... it has worked for every 2012 WR that has been sold here locally, and the Altitude just doesn't matter, it works everywhere I ride it, so I think there is something to this...

Tried this.

I couldn't get it to work.

It backfired rather loudly. Just to be clear, I twisted the throttle just enough to take the play out and then a little extra. It eventually started, but after 8 - 10 tries after returning the throttle to it original position. I tried several other throttle positions. At one point I thought by reducing the throttle while trying to start might work, but that didn't work out.

I'll continue to try different combinations...

• W85W58

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 04:03 PM

Yamalube 0 40 synthetic, it starts excellant now hot or cold, and I can't find anything wrong with the rest of the bike either. Glad I didn't buy a KTM.

The dealer suggested motul 300v and he didn't sell it. He had on hand the yamalube products. I'm certainly no expert, but his reasons for using it seemed logical. The fact that he actually didn't sell the product I thought gave the product some additional merit. That being said, If things don't change, i'll give the yamalube a try.

• tomerb

TT Bronze Member

381 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Tried this.

I couldn't get it to work.

It backfired rather loudly. Just to be clear, I twisted the throttle just enough to take the play out and then a little extra. It eventually started, but after 8 - 10 tries after returning the throttle to it original position. I tried several other throttle positions. At one point I thought by reducing the throttle while trying to start might work, but that didn't work out.

I'll continue to try different combinations...

Did you wait till the fuel pump shut off before trying each time?
They will not start without fuel pressure to make the injector squirt.

Edited by tomerb, October 23, 2012 - 05:49 PM.

• W85W58

TT Member

37 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 03:38 AM

Did you wait till the fuel pump shut off before trying each time?
They will not start without fuel pressure to make the injector squirt.

I did wait until the fuel pump stopped before attempting to start.

I might check the valves again today. They were within spec the last time I checked, but that was several hundred miles ago.

• luckyone24

TT Member

31 posts

Posted October 24, 2012 - 03:16 PM

if everything above wont work then the only way you will get it to start when it wont is shut it off..pull out the choke and fire it up

• schizz

TT Newbie

5 posts

Posted March 11, 2013 - 12:39 AM

I have a Yamaha WR450F 2012, in Italy the problem is the same, the bike will not turn on and yamaha does not know what to do, but have already checked everything seems ok.
I had 4 WR450F with carb and they were fine, it 's obvious that the problem here is the injection system.
Does anyone have an e-mail to a technical yamaha japan to write to?
YAMAHA!! Where are you?!.

Schizz

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 11, 2013 - 10:15 AM

After i've had the bike started and running it always fires back up by just applying the slightest amount of throttle (after having the fuel adjusted down 2% at idle).

Now, having said that.... when the bike has been sitting for some time, I have not found a way to start it with the push button no matter what combination of things I have tried. So... I just kick start it, and it always fires on the first or second kick. At least at that point I'm still in the parking lot and not tired and trying to kick start it on a steep hill in the boondocks after having just dumped it on its side....

I'm really surprised that Yamaha let these bikes leave the factory without a solid starting mechanism.... pretty shitty deal.

• Krannie McKranface
36,195 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 11, 2013 - 06:28 PM

The GYT-R kit solves all the starting problems...

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 11, 2013 - 08:07 PM

The GYT-R kit solves all the starting problems...

Do you have one?? It sure as hell didn't help mine.

• Krannie McKranface
36,195 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted March 12, 2013 - 09:54 AM

You have to make sure the filters pre and post fuel pump are spotless, then use the mapping too to change the af ratios to a more reasonable level.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

• Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 IMS fuel tank by Dave WR450

• Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions by stevethe

• Hot  226 replies
Forums
Photo

GYTR/FMF Pipe Installation 2012 WR450F by Andrew Puetz

• 2 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.