* * * * * 1 votes

2012 WR450 Starting woes

Yamaha WR450F 2012

500 replies to this topic
  • mebgardner

TT Silver Member

574 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 01:10 PM

Yes, I keep telling him to replace the ecu.  I have not reset my CO level.  Might do that when it warms up although I rarely ride during the warmer months. 

Can I use the Power Tuner on his bike?  Someone told me that FI tuners only work on the 1st bike that you plug them into.  That way, they sell more product.  Is that true with the Yamaha Power Tuner?

The techs at my local dealership use the GYTR Power Tuner on multiple cycles.  They *were* going to use it to set my Idle / CO until I told them "Ummm, that's the wrong tool for that job...".

I geuss they're not Gold Certified :(

• JDLowrance

TT Silver Member

594 posts

Posted January 20, 2014 - 05:03 PM

Yes, I keep telling him to replace the ecu.  I have not reset my CO level.  Might do that when it warms up although I rarely ride during the warmer months. 

Can I use the Power Tuner on his bike?  Someone told me that FI tuners only work on the 1st bike that you plug them into.  That way, they sell more product.  Is that true with the Yamaha Power Tuner?

No.

• cassinova90

TT Member

40 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 01:28 AM

Need the comp ecu to adjust the settings with the power tuner... As for the co setting that's done with the Yamaha FI Diagnostic Tool and can definatly be used on multiple bikes. I've already done a few myself. 

• Unsp0kn

TT Bronze Member

333 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 22, 2014 - 11:23 AM

My '12 has recently had this problem as well. Just had the GYTR ECU installed yesterday and a custom map, no difference. Started looking around and the coil connector below the left side radiator is right where snow and water can just pound it, so I took it apart and examined, thinking maybe the connection was coming and going. Plugged it back in and the bike started right up, cold, with the cold start pulled out. Coincidence? Not really sure at this point. This was last night in the garage. This morning, it had been on the trailer for about 3 hours, in 12*F cold. Went out to start it, seemed dead again. Bent the pins inside the plug again, kicked it over twice with the throttle just barely cracked, cold start pulled out and bam, came to life. Let it run for about 4 minutes, shut it off for 3, started back up easy with the e-start, no throttle and let it idle for another 2 minutes or so. Going to ride it here in a bit, if it cooperates.

Oh and I did mean snow:

1549371_10100279379588264_1259370332_n.j

1551540_10100283128824764_1232433313_n.j

• scott525

TT Member

81 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 01:51 PM

The techs at my local dealership use the GYTR Power Tuner on multiple cycles.  They *were* going to use it to set my Idle / CO until I told them "Ummm, that's the wrong tool for that job...".

I geuss they're not Gold Certified :(

Well I call my dealer I bought the bike from. These guys HAVE to be Gold Certified...they dont even have a diagnostic tool!

• mebgardner

TT Silver Member

574 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 02:13 PM

Yeah, well, I'm Not doing that again.

I bought my own diagnostic tool, from a vendor on eBay (the one listed above).

My '12 has recently had this problem as well. Just had the GYTR ECU installed yesterday and a custom map, no difference. Started looking around and the coil connector below the left side radiator is right where snow and water can just pound it, so I took it apart and examined, thinking maybe the connection was coming and going. Plugged it back in and the bike started right up, cold, with the cold start pulled out. Coincidence? Not really sure at this point. This was last night in the garage. This morning, it had been on the trailer for about 3 hours, in 12*F cold. Went out to start it, seemed dead again. Bent the pins inside the plug again, kicked it over twice with the throttle just barely cracked, cold start pulled out and bam, came to life. Let it run for about 4 minutes, shut it off for 3, started back up easy with the e-start, no throttle and let it idle for another 2 minutes or so. Going to ride it here in a bit, if it cooperates.

Oh and I did mean snow:

1549371_10100279379588264_1259370332_n.j

1551540_10100283128824764_1232433313_n.j

By the Way, what an Awesome Ride!  You Lucky!!

• Navaho6

TT Gold Member

1,372 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:55 AM

My '12 has recently had this problem as well. Just had the GYTR ECU installed yesterday and a custom map, no difference.

Have you tried the FMF map or MX map?  Re, the coil being hit, make a deflector to cover it with.

• ggamster

TT Bronze Member

188 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 10:37 AM

At a loss. I adjusted the co to 5,10,15,& 20. It would not start. It was about 25F. Turned it back down to the Yamaha maximum recomendation of 7. It still would not stsrt. Next day it was 50. The bike started right up. Not sure what else it could be. On a car I would say it us a coolant temp sensor. When they go bad your fi doesnt know how tp compansate. On the bike, im sure we dont all have bad temp sensors so not sure what else to do. I even broke down and took it to a SHOP. They confirmed the co setting and the bike started right up but it had only been a day since it was started. I norally have to wait two to three days before I have an issue. Any other ideas?

• Navaho6

TT Gold Member

1,372 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 29, 2014 - 02:09 PM

Are you trying the kickstarter with the cold-start knob pulled out?  Find TDC and then kick hard.  Manual says to kickstart it below 50F, which I always do.  Haven't had any issues but coldest day for me was about 40F.

• ggamster

TT Bronze Member

188 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 02:46 PM

Are you trying the kickstarter with the cold-start knob pulled out? Find TDC and then kick hard. Manual says to kickstart it below 50F, which I always do. Haven't had any issues but coldest day for me was about 40F.

Always use the kick started cold

• Navaho6

TT Gold Member

1,372 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 30, 2014 - 04:52 AM

When I first got my '13, I had a problem starting the bike.  It was cold outside, maybe in the low 40's.  After several tries over a period of two hours, I was ready to give up and bring it to the dealer.  Went inside and read the owner's manual.  There was a technique for starting a "flooded engine".  Went back outside, opened the throttle all the way, kicked it through 10 times.  Released the throttle, kicked it again, and it fire right up. 

Give it a try next time.

• ggamster

TT Bronze Member

188 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:59 AM

When I first got my '13, I had a problem starting the bike. It was cold outside, maybe in the low 40's. After several tries over a period of two hours, I was ready to give up and bring it to the dealer. Went inside and read the owner's manual. There was a technique for starting a "flooded engine". Went back outside, opened the throttle all the way, kicked it through 10 times. Released the throttle, kicked it again, and it fire right up.

Give it a try next time.

I did it everytime it takes more than three kicks. I agree it acts like it wants to start more but it wont fire up.

• kris_big

TT Newbie

13 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:05 AM

Reading this post and I don’t know if it because of the market or of the year of production?

I got 2013 (model 2014) WRF450 and no starting problems. It’s around 5 to 15F (-15 to -10oC) here in Europe where I live, and I am riding on my bike. I don’t use electric starter when cold, only when hot. It needs 2-3 kicks with starter knob pulled out. When it’s hot I use electric starter only. The only problem might be when I stall the bike, so it needs a little 2-5degrees throttle open to start.

Bike seems to be starting even better when ambient temp is higher, but max I was riding in Autumn it was 54F (12oC), waiting for a summer  :ride:

• Navaho6

TT Gold Member

1,372 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 30, 2014 - 01:15 PM

ggamster, did the dealer check the sensors?

Edited by Navaho6, January 30, 2014 - 01:18 PM.

• ggamster

TT Bronze Member

188 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 01:29 PM

ggamster, did the dealer check the sensors?

I have the competition ECU and the muffler insert. As a process of elimination however I also reinstalled the original ECU and it made no difference for starting.

• Navaho6

TT Gold Member

1,372 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted January 31, 2014 - 01:55 PM

If anything, it made it much worse.  The concern I would have is a bad sensor.  Did the dealer actually hook up your bike and look for a fault code?

• Unsp0kn

TT Bronze Member

333 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted February 26, 2014 - 10:54 AM

I put a custom map in the WR, and have since not had any issues with cold starting. I still think it was the coil connector by the radiator.

• Jmulhollen

TT Member

31 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 02:51 PM

I'm praying the guru's here can help me out....dropped the bike by the dealer today as they claim they could make the CO adjustment for me.  Of course I just received a call which explained "we've been on the phone with Yamaha all day, and none of our tools allow for manipulation of the race ECU".....so im SOL.

I

have another Yamaha dealer close, but don't really want to deal with the same thing again.  Has anyone successfully had a dealer do this fix?  If so do you know the tool they used?  They have many Yamaha diagnostic tools, but apparently not the correct one.

• ggamster

TT Bronze Member

188 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:05 AM

I'm praying the guru's here can help me out....dropped the bike by the dealer today as they claim they could make the CO adjustment for me.  Of course I just received a call which explained "we've been on the phone with Yamaha all day, and none of our tools allow for manipulation of the race ECU".....so im SOL.

I

have another Yamaha dealer close, but don't really want to deal with the same thing again.  Has anyone successfully had a dealer do this fix?  If so do you know the tool they used?  They have many Yamaha diagnostic tools, but apparently not the correct one.

Sure did.  They use the standard FI tool.  It is the same one for all of their four wheelers and almost everything else.  Yamaha recommends a setting of 7 FYI

• Jmulhollen

TT Member

31 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 02:26 PM

A I have two dealers.....one is so damn retarded that they are claiming they have a different tool even though it's the same one in every image I've seen....

The other claims that as a dealer they are not legally allowed to change this setting as it affects the emissions on a vehicle which I could setup to ride on road.

Looks like I'm buying one.....shit

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

• Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions by stevethe

• Hot  226 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.