* * * * * 1 votes

2012 WR450 Starting woes

Yamaha WR450F 2012

500 replies to this topic
  • AaronS

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 02:01 PM

Boats.net/ Partzilla informed me that the part is not available anymore through Yamaha anymore. I ordered something through another Yamaha dealer, but I don't know what the part number is. Its supposed to do the same things and should be here early next week.

• cassinova90

TT Member

40 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 03:31 PM

Boats.net/ Partzilla informed me that the part is not available anymore through Yamaha anymore. I ordered something through another Yamaha dealer, but I don't know what the part number is. Its supposed to do the same things and should be here early next week.

I'm interested to see what you end up with . I'm keen to know the part number when you get it ..

I tried to order through boats.net a few weeks ago and found the same thing no longer available .

I got mine through eBay .

• alstar250

TT Member

73 posts

Posted November 24, 2013 - 05:56 PM

I have been watching this thread even before I brought home my 2012 WR450 (which was this past Wednesday 11/20, got it super cheap too) and I have had no such issues. When its cold I always kick it after pulling the knob, but once she's warmed up I have little to no issue with E-Start, even in gear (as long as the clutch is pulled in)

One question, the Yamaha website states the 2012 as having a CDI ignition and the 2013+ as TDI - Anyone know which is which and whats the main difference? Just wondering if that may have anything to do w/ starting it up

Edited by alstar250, November 24, 2013 - 05:57 PM.

• Jolly705

TT Bronze Member

498 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 02:40 PM

I was wondering the same thing about the CDI, I also picked one up on this past Saturday for cheap and have been having trouble starting it. I think I am going to hit the dealer and ask for the sniffer test that was mentioned earlier in the thread.  

I have been watching this thread even before I brought home my 2012 WR450 (which was this past Wednesday 11/20, got it super cheap too) and I have had no such issues. When its cold I always kick it after pulling the knob, but once she's warmed up I have little to no issue with E-Start, even in gear (as long as the clutch is pulled in)

One question, the Yamaha website states the 2012 as having a CDI ignition and the 2013+ as TDI - Anyone know which is which and whats the main difference? Just wondering if that may have anything to do w/ starting it up

• Ride-n-Hard

TT Bronze Member

412 posts

Posted November 25, 2013 - 03:18 PM

I asked this question before but don't think I got an answer. after you made these adjustment have you rechecked the settings with the gytr tool?

I find this interesting because I've stalled my bike on the trail and it started back up. do you think its a temp thing that is causing it or elevation or....?

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 25, 2013 - 04:11 PM

I asked this question before but don't think I got an answer. after you made these adjustment have you rechecked the settings with the gytr tool?

I find this interesting because I've stalled my bike on the trail and it started back up. do you think its a temp thing that is causing it or elevation or....?

There is nothing that you can check but the Map. The map does not change if you adjust the CO levels. The map from the GYTR is just a lookup table that the ECU looks at to off set the base settings (tuning). The CO level adjustment is a separate lookup table that is adjusted by the FI tool. It should have been part of the GYTR's tuning parameters. But do to CARB and the EPA It's a dealer only adjustment. This is not only dirt bikes but its the sane for street bikes, snowmobiles, outboards, and boats. And the FI tool works on all of these built by Yamaha.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 25, 2013 - 04:14 PM

The CDI is a hotter but shorter spark and rev's higher than the TDI style. CDI also cost more. The 2010 YZ's are CDI but are now TDI. I would think both are good on the WR's.

• bobpara

TT Bronze Member

307 posts

Posted November 26, 2013 - 05:55 AM

At a glance, it looks like the extra drag of being in gear with the clutch in creates too much resistance for the starter (1/2 of the clutch is spinning when you start or kick a bike in gear with the clutch in)When in neutral with clutch out there is less resistance.

I know my '06 has a rather marginally designed starter motor, mine, like many others, will not physically turn over if the piston stops at TDC. A very rare occurance, but when it does happen you think you have a dead batt or a bad starter motor

• AaronS

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 02:44 PM

I just received the tool from Honda east Toledo and it is the 90890-03182. Its identical to the others using the same part number. The Yamaha sticker on the box also has the number Y070515T and a separate sticker has the letters K@L with the number 35 3028. The parts guy mentioned that it was coming from the Yamaha warehouse, so I don't know why he had no problem getting it when others say they cant. I plan to try it out tomorrow, with hopefully the same results as others have had.

• cassinova90

TT Member

40 posts

Posted November 27, 2013 - 10:32 PM

I just received the tool from Honda east Toledo and it is the 90890-03182. Its identical to the others using the same part number. The Yamaha sticker on the box also has the number Y070515T and a separate sticker has the letters K@L with the number 35 3028. The parts guy mentioned that it was coming from the Yamaha warehouse, so I don't know why he had no problem getting it when others say they cant. I plan to try it out tomorrow, with hopefully the same results as others have had.

Should have no problems. Green wire to airbox, alligator clips to battery .

Ignition off. Hold down menu button and while holding turn ignition on .

Press up , should read co, press menu then adjust accordingly .

Turn off ignition.

Repeat steps to check .

• Navaho6

TT Gold Member

1,372 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 28, 2013 - 08:51 AM

How much $ for this tool?
Lexx makes an efi controller for the YFZ450 quad. I wonder if that would also hook up to the WR ?

• AaronS

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted November 28, 2013 - 12:25 PM

$ 185 shipped from Ohio to Maryland. The receipt shows a msrp of $249.

• cassinova90

TT Member

40 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 05:32 AM

Should have no problems. Green wire to airbox, alligator clips to battery .

Ignition off. Hold down menu button and while holding turn ignition on .

Press up , should read co, press menu then adjust accordingly .

Turn off ignition.

Repeat steps to check .

Also if you are using it for diagnostic the codes e.g. D02 etc are all in the Yamaha WR service manual

• JDLowrance

TT Silver Member

594 posts

Posted November 29, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Well, not sure what happened to my new Earth X battery but it wouldn't start the WR today. Started the bike fine over the last few weeks in the garage.

Got out to Gorman this AM and click, click, click. Had to kicj=k the bike all day which wasn't an issue as it fires right up. Will be contacting Earth X to get a replacement battery under warranty. Will let you all know if there are any issues getting the replacement.

• funt

TT Bronze Member

105 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Maybe I should have got the power commander v.  That's a lot of extra wires and crap to have under the seat though. 

• AaronS

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 03:45 PM

I followed Cassinova's directions, and it seemed to work properly. I don't have any way to check the exhaust, so I set it to 8, it was at 0. I just need it to warm up or dry out a little to see if there is an improvement.

Thanks for the help everyone.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:41 PM

Anyone have a Chinese fi diagnostic tool that doesn't connect, have you tried just the center pin plugged into the bike, like so [attachment=102241:1385876381111.jpg
Mine works regardless, so I can't test to see.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1385876381111.jpg

Edited by boston460, December 01, 2013 - 04:58 AM.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Edit: combined post.

Edited by boston460, December 01, 2013 - 04:57 AM.

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 30, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Has anyone that's got a Chinese fi diagnostic tool that doesn't connect tried just having the center pin plugged into the bike, like so http://www.thumpertalk.com/public/style_images/tt34/attachicon.gif 1385876381111.jpg

Yep, tried it.... No dice.

• scott525

TT Member

81 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 05:48 PM

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.yoshimura...gement_PIM.aspx

Just orded their rs4 and saw this.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450f Idle issue by WeekendWarriorz

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 IMS fuel tank by Dave WR450

• Hot  30 replies

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.