* * * * * 1 votes

2012 WR450 Starting woes

Yamaha WR450F 2012

500 replies to this topic
  • wr4502012

TT Member

36 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:14 AM

Yes that is correct, It's a bit different to the power tuner.
To use mine I connect it to the bike then I plug the 12 volts power supply in to it, select the desired function ie CO
It will then ask for the mode button to be pressed and then the ignition to be turned on, once that is completed you can adjust the CO level.

Today i got myt Yamaha Fi (90890-03182) tool and it wont do anything,it shows only RPM.So only tool that will fit is that expensive new tool.90890-03215

Edited by wr4502012, November 15, 2013 - 07:15 AM.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:51 AM

Today i got myt Yamaha Fi (90890-03182) tool and it wont do anything,it shows only RPM.So only tool that will fit is that expensive new tool.90890-03215

There is a connection leed that is used to fit our bikes( shows it in the service manual) its in the2010-2013 yz450f manual as well.
Basically it connects to an external 12 volt power supply with a inline fuse and a on/off switch. I have found it online for 190 euros.
I should have my Yamaha tuner (90890-03182) in a couple of weeks and will try to build a version of it.

• wr4502012

TT Member

36 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 08:39 AM

There is a connection leed that is used to fit our bikes( shows it in the service manual) its in the2010-2013 yz450f manual as well.
Basically it connects to an external 12 volt power supply with a inline fuse and a on/off switch. I have found it online for 190 euros.
I should have my Yamaha tuner (90890-03182) in a couple of weeks and will try to build a version of it.

There must be some wiring differend USA and EUR model,or differend ECU.

But there is only one wire what go in ECU,middle wire.Red and Black are just same as + and - .

Edited by wr4502012, November 15, 2013 - 10:13 AM.

• AaronS

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 03:10 PM

My brother was dealing with Honda of East Toledo a couple of months ago when I was talking about getting a Yamaha tuner to adjust the CO at idle. The guy at this store said he could get some version of a Yamaha tuner for me then. I had my brother call and talk to the same guy yesterday to ask about the tuner again and possibly the 03215 tuning tool. He said the 03215 tool is no longer available/ used, but he can get a 175 dollar tuner that does what I need. I ordered it for 185 shipped. It should be here by the end of next week.

The guy at the store is Pauley, if anyone else is interested.  I didn't get the part number off of him.

Something else ive found. BRP Diagnostics sells a Yamaha YDS Diagnostics Interface. $150 plus shipping. The site shows PWCs. Does anyone know it this would work for us. It looks like factory Yamaha stuff. Maybe its what I just bought, who knows.

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 15, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Well, got my diagnostic tool today finally.... and it doesn't work. Just shows "connecting" and then goes back to the menu as others have had happen. I even cut the plug down (since it doesn't click together anyway) so that I could physically see that the pins were making good contact into the performance ECU plug (picture attached).

TunerPlug_zpsc008a278.jpg

I have a theory.... Corkster was the first to report that he was able to buy this tool and make it work.... but... he ordered the unit for a Yamaha bike and then had to use the SYM cable that came with the laptop kit. I am wondering if these units, although they all look the same, have programming flashed into the memory to work for specific bikes?.?. That would explain why those of us that ordered the SYM unit in order to get the correct cable are having issues with it not working, but Corkster bought the tool specific to Yamaha and it worked fine once he got the SYM cable. 

Thoughts?? Am I crazy?..... or just pi$$ed off.

Edited by BoiseBee, November 15, 2013 - 07:53 PM.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 08:41 PM

I bought the fi diagnostic tool that was specified as being for SYM motorcycles and It worked for me,
It seems that all units after Vlxjim and I received ours have been unable to connect

Edited by boston460, November 15, 2013 - 11:27 PM.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 16, 2013 - 08:12 AM

Yea its a little strange. I did find a place that had the same unit with all the cables, 6 or 8 of them. But wanted almost $300 for it. So I looked into it. The FI Diagnostic tool works with all ECU systems that are: (KEIHIN/ SIEMENS M2/ SIEMENS M3) you just need the right wiring for the bike your working on. Is there a chance that it was plugged in backwards the first time and blew a fuse or shorted something?

Edited by vlxjim, November 16, 2013 - 08:13 AM.

• cassinova90

TT Member

40 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 12:24 AM

No I cannot say with certainty that this will be the case, I have just bought one and will get back with my findings.
It seems now Yamaha are using the new diagnostic tool pn 90890-03215 it's the one shown in our bikes service manuals,
The 2014 yz450f also uses it, I found it online for 596 euros :lol:
It looks like Aaron S is quite correct, Yamaha have moved on to a new version.

Unfortunately I too read that in the manual ... I was hoping that I could get away with the FI tool .

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 17, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Not Sure but the one that I got works great. It could need a Firmware update. But the USB port on the board has not been populated. We may be able to update it from the DB port. But we would need a special cable, a boot loader and the firmware to get it done. It states on the ad with most of these "free firmware updates" I'm not sure where to get the updates from.

• mch

TT Silver Member

582 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 17, 2013 - 05:16 PM

I finally was able to get a power supply and enough time to mess with mine.  It seems mine doesn't work either.  I push the down button and it says "Connecting..." and then defaults back to the main screen after 10 seconds or so.

The only thing I can think of is that the older units have a different firmware, or the power supply amps are not enough.  I used an AC to DC Converter from Radio Shack (Rip Off Price, but I wanted to try it out today)  FYI, the plug needed if you get the Enercell converter is the "O" plug 5.5mm O.D. and 2.8mm I.D. The one I used went up to 2.5 amps, so perhaps the guys drawing power from their battery have the correct power demands?

Anyone drawing power from their battery and not having the Unit work?

Edited by mch, November 17, 2013 - 09:04 PM.

• auscanvet

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 06:04 PM

I tried mine from a 12v car battery, no luck!

• mch

TT Silver Member

582 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 18, 2013 - 10:15 AM

I sent an e-mail to the seller.  Maybe he can shed some light on the issues or how to get a firmware that works.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 18, 2013 - 09:21 PM

They need very little current.

Maybe its not the FI tool but its the ECU's that are different? If someone would like to send me there FI tool I could try it out on my bike and see if it works. That would eliminate the possibility that the firmware in the ECUs are different or not.

• wr4502012

TT Member

36 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 07:26 AM

So now i got help from local dealer and this 90890-03182 tool will work.

When "waitin connection" appear you need press middlebutton down and hold it down,then press bike power button .Then it goes to diag mode and you can adjust co.So no need this new expensive tool.

Manual for that tool wont tell how to connect it.

Edited by wr4502012, November 21, 2013 - 07:27 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 08:30 AM

When "waitin connection" appear you need press middlebutton down and hold it down,then press bike power button .Then it goes to diag mode and you can adjust co.So no need this new expensive tool.

I wonder if this will work for the Chinese tools as well ?

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 21, 2013 - 12:32 PM

So now i got help from local dealer and this 90890-03182 tool will work.

That's good to hear, did you just replace the plug for one to suit our bikes or buy the Yamaha cable?

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 21, 2013 - 12:42 PM

I wonder if this will work for the Chinese tools as well ?

Nope... Just tried it...

• mch

TT Silver Member

582 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 21, 2013 - 08:12 PM

I just tried too and no luck.  I figured I'd try combo of different buttons and see if I could get in firmware version or something, but that too didn't work.

Here's what I sent the vendor.. doesn't look like much luck there either:

• Aryana Chou:

02:29 Nov 21,2013

icon_new.png

Sorry SYM scanner ! the old model will stopped now , there is new model and more powerful functions !

02:28 Nov 21,2013

icon_new.png

Hello , dear friend , good day ! very sorry for delay reply , your problem i send to our engineer, maybe can not solve it at this moment , but wee are inhance the fuction for this tool , will have new model YAYMA scanner, will inform you as soon as possible , i think can solve your problems,. thanks !

• Me:

10:14 Nov 18,2013

RE: Order No. 60354434925401

Hello, I ordered "New SYM handheld diagnostic scanner professional motorcycle diagnostic tool for SYM motor" after reading about it on thumpertalk. Here's the thread: http://www.thumperta...ing-woes/page-7

A person had bought it for the 2012-2013 Yamaha WR450 and solved a problem we were having with a very lean CO mixture. The SYM plug is the correct one that Yamaha used for that model. A couple other had ordered the same device and all worked well. I and a few others have recently received the item, but it is unable to "connect" to the motorcycle. All plugs make a good connection and the unit powers up, but when you push the "down" button, it simply says "Connecting..." then after about 10 seconds, it just displays the normal home screen.

We can only guess that there is different firmwares, and the other's must have a different software version. Is there a way you can help us make these devices work?

• wr4502012

TT Member

36 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 07:53 AM

That's good to hear, did you just replace the plug for one to suit our bikes or buy the Yamaha cable?

I borrowed that yamaha sub cable,but there is no anyting special in that cable. Its just battery + - and middle for ecu.It need external battery to use it.

There is on/off switch too in that cable but it works only yz450f.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 22, 2013 - 01:26 PM

I borrowed that yamaha sub cable,but there is no anyting special in that cable. Its just battery + - and middle for ecu.It need external battery to use it.

There is on/off switch too in that cable but it works only yz450f.

When you used the cable was the switch in the off position? Sorry for the questions just trying to work out the cable arrangement.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

GYTR/FMF Pipe Installation 2012 WR450F by Andrew Puetz

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 2 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR450F 2012
  • * * * * -
  • 42 reviews
  • Last review by Ptch5636
  • On October 02, 2016
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 plastics by Fvmcboy99

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

• 20 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.