* * * * * 1 votes

2012 WR450 Starting woes

Yamaha WR450F 2012

500 replies to this topic
  • msgbean

TT Bronze Member

353 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hopefully the problem is just the connection, have you checked the continuity of the wires from the d-sub connector to the bike plug?
Out of interest if you open up the fi tools case what version is printed on the circuit board (between the mode and down buttons), mine is MOTO_V11.

I

My problem is that I'm trying to do this with a cast on one hand so troubleshooting is a little difficult right now.  My version also says MOTO_V11.

This really makes me mad.  I have 100% confirmation that the connections are good.  It still just says it is connecting for about 5 seconds but it never does.  Hell it wont even let me change the language to Chinese.  I ordered the same one I thought  everyone else was buying.  I guess I got a dud. I'm assuming those of you that got it working have the Yamaha programmable ECU and not the stock unit? 

Edited by msgbean, November 10, 2013 - 02:48 PM.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 11, 2013 - 01:31 AM

This really makes me mad. I have 100% confirmation that the connections are good. It still just says it is connecting for about 5 seconds but it never does. Hell it wont even let me change the language to Chinese. I ordered the same one I thought everyone else was buying. I guess I got a dud. I'm assuming those of you that got it working have the Yamaha programmable ECU and not the stock unit?

I wonder if there's chance that vxljm and myself received old stock of the SYM units and the recently purchased units have a firmware update that prevents connection to our bikes,
Not that it really helps anyone that has already bought one.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,871 posts

Posted November 12, 2013 - 04:11 PM

My scanner hasn't arrived yet.

This is what its description said.

This scanner is handheld that makes it more convenient to operate

This scanner will work all kinds of Y amaha models, including motorbicycle, scooter, fun, road motor cycle, off-road motorcycle, and so on.

This scanner can be updated online free of charge for life time.

Diagnosis functions:

Read and erase the fault code, data flow analysis, CO adjustment, idle speed setting, and so on.

There will be more function such as,Original reference value and waveform analysis for data flow analysis, signature analysis for fault code, data can be saved and printed. There will be also all kinds of pictures showing connectors location on real vehicle diagnosis in the program. It is easy for you to test all kinds of motors even the model you have never worked with.

Specification:

Voltage: 11.6-13.2V

Program language:Chinese and English

Warranty:Two years

• woods-rider

TT Addict

3,006 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Once again, nice work Boston. At least those of us that bought the Chinese POS will have a plug that we can use for the Yamaha unit.

Maybe we should split the price and just send this from person to person? Once the adjustment is made, it shouldn't need to be tweaked again.... right?

I would be willing to throw some money in a pot to have this tool for a few days then send it on to the next guy. Let's get something started!

Has anyone in the States gotten their tool to work and adjust the CO? If so, I would send you money equal to the cost of the unit and pay for shipping to and from your place, then when you get it back just send me back some of the money and keep some for your troubles. You could probably make your money back quickly doing something like this if you had a little write up that you printed out and sent with it as I bet a lot of TT members are in the same boat as I.

Edited by woods-rider, November 13, 2013 - 07:54 AM.

• AaronS

TT Newbie

17 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 03:44 PM

I tried to order the Yamaha scanner based on the part numbers posted, but two vendors have said that it is not available anymore. Anyone else have any luck getting a hold of one or possibly a part number for an updated version?

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 13, 2013 - 03:59 PM

I tried to order the Yamaha scanner based on the part numbers posted, but two vendors have said that it is not available anymore. Anyone else have any luck getting a hold of one or possibly a part number for an updated version?

Try YU-03182, if that still stumps them, tell them that it is shown as a special tool in the 2012 YZ450f service manual. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,871 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:22 AM

My clone tuner arrived.

The good news is that it appears to be for Yamaha bikes. It actually says Yamaha on it in red.

The bad news is that it has the triangular 3 pin Yamaha connector instead of the inline 3 pin connector that was shown in the advertisement. UUUGGGGHHH !!!!

I'll figure out a way to make it work.

It also has absolutely no instructions whatsoever.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 14, 2013 - 09:23 AM.

• funt

TT Bronze Member

105 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 10:15 AM

My clone tuner arrived.

The good news is that it appears to be for Yamaha bikes. It actually says Yamaha on it in red.

The bad news is that it has the triangular 3 pin Yamaha connector instead of the inline 3 pin connector that was shown in the advertisement. UUUGGGGHHH !!!!

Does the speedometer use the same style connectors as the power tuner?  Maybe you could try de-pinning them and see if the pins fit both connectors.

• Ride-n-Hard

TT Bronze Member

412 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 11:46 AM

My clone tuner arrived.

Which tuner did you order?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,871 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Which tuner did you order?

http://www.dhgate.co...erdetail-1-null

Note that the pictures for it still shows the inline connector.

• mch

TT Silver Member

589 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 14, 2013 - 05:04 PM

I got mine today too.  I ordered the one with the picture that said ED88, and the caption was "New SYM handheld diagnostic scanner professional motorcycle diagnostic tool for SYM motor."

What I got was this

IMG_20131114_1647301.jpg

The cable that connects to the yamaha looks like this and looks like the right one, but I need to go out soon and not sure when I'm going to be able to try it.  I was planning on connecting it to my battery, but is that power plug just one that will work with one of those Generic 12v supplies that has all the different plugs?  If so, I'll just go down to Wallmart or Office Max.

IMG_20131114_1648111.jpg

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 06:23 PM

The cable that connects to the yamaha looks like this and looks like the right one, but I need to go out soon and not sure when I'm going to be able to try it. I was planning on connecting it to my battery, but is that power plug just one that will work with one of those Generic 12v supplies that has all the different plugs? If so, I'll just go down to Wallmart or Office Max.
Posted Image

That's all I used, if it's one that you can change the polarity by which way you plug the connector ends into the power supply, make sure you have the center pin as positive, don't want to let out any of that magic smoke :D

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 14, 2013 - 07:10 PM

I got mine today too.  I ordered the one with the picture that said ED88, and the caption was "New SYM handheld diagnostic scanner professional motorcycle diagnostic tool for SYM motor."

What I got was this.......

Interesting that you ordered the tool for the SYM machines (in order to get the correct connection cable) and ended up with the Yamaha tool.... ?

Looks like you've got it made though, power that bad boy up and hopefully you have no "connecting" issue.

Mine is shown to deliver tomorrow, so I will report how/if it works, and which one I ended up getting

• auscanvet

TT Newbie

14 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Just got my programmer and it Does Not Work! Same as msgbean!!!! Bugger!

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,871 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 08:30 PM

What I got was this
IMG_20131114_1647301.jpg

The cable that connects to the yamaha looks like this and looks like the right one, but I need to go out soon and not sure when I'm going to be able to try it.  I was planning on connecting it to my battery, but is that power plug just one that will work with one of those Generic 12v supplies that has all the different plugs?  If so, I'll just go down to Wallmart or Office Max.
IMG_20131114_1648111.jpg

My programmer looks exactly like yours, ie it has red Yamaha on it.

However, I got a set of alligator clamps that plug into the plug you are wondering about, presumably to power the unit. I looks like they forgot to ship your alligator cables.

I'm wondering if one would need the aligator cables at all. On the WRR450 the diagnostic port has power in it.

Do I see an inline 3 pin plug in the background ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 14, 2013 - 08:32 PM.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 09:01 PM

I'm wondering if one would need the aligator cables at all. On the WRR450 the diagnostic port has power in it.

Do I see an inline 3 pin plug in the background ?

You do need external power to the fi tool,
It requires the ignition to be turned off, then select the section you want ie co, then the ignition turned on.
It handy how the GYTR power tuner can be used without batteries if your bike still has it's battery.

• cassinova90

TT Member

40 posts

Posted November 14, 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hi Boston,

Can you confirm that all you need to do if you have the genuine FI Tool ( 90890-03182 ) is swap out the plug and it will all connect up??

Do you know of anyone that has this working??

Cheers,

With the high failure rate of the Chinese fi diagnostic tools, I had a look around at the genuine Yamaha fi diagnostic tool, the part number is 90890-03182, some times shown as 90890-03182-00, it can be yours for about USD $155 off eBay.
Unfortunately it doesn't have the right plug, but this can be solved with either making a patch lead with the two plug styles on each end or simply replace the end with the right one.
The connectors can be bought from a website called eastern beaver (no it's not one of those sites).
As far as I can tell the Yamaha fi tool has the same colour wires to the plug as the GYTR tuner so getting the pin out right should be straight forward.attachicon.gif1384045211850.jpgattachicon.gif1384045231005.jpgattachicon.gif1384045247951.jpg

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,871 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 02:05 AM

You do need external power to the fi tool,
It requires the ignition to be turned off, then select the section you want ie co, then the ignition turned on.

Hmmm... so you need to power up the tuner via the battery source, select the function and then turn on the ignition key, which actually turns on the ECU ? The ECU can't be powered up when the fi tool is first turned on ?

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 05:48 AM

Hi Boston,

Can you confirm that all you need to do if you have the genuine FI Tool ( 90890-03182 ) is swap out the plug and it will all connect up??

Do you know of anyone that has this working??

Cheers,

No I cannot say with certainty that this will be the case, I have just bought one and will get back with my findings.
It seems now Yamaha are using the new diagnostic tool pn 90890-03215 it's the one shown in our bikes service manuals,
The 2014 yz450f also uses it, I found it online for 596 euros :lol:
It looks like Aaron S is quite correct, Yamaha have moved on to a new version.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 15, 2013 - 05:58 AM

Hmmm... so you need to power up the tuner via the battery source, select the function and then turn on the ignition key, which actually turns on the ECU ? The ECU can't be powered up when the fi tool is first turned on ?

Yes that is correct, It's a bit different to the power tuner.
To use mine I connect it to the bike then I plug the 12 volts power supply in to it, select the desired function ie CO
It will then ask for the mode button to be pressed and then the ignition to be turned on, once that is completed you can adjust the CO level.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 exhaust? What fits by Fvmcboy99

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

GYTR/FMF Pipe Installation 2012 WR450F by Andrew Puetz

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450f Idle issue by WeekendWarriorz

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

• Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 WR450 IMS fuel tank by Dave WR450

• Hot  30 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.