* * * * * 1 votes

2012 WR450 Starting woes

Yamaha WR450F 2012

500 replies to this topic
  • funt

TT Bronze Member

105 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 03:57 PM

These are supposed to idle at like 2000 rpms, right?  My vapor tach says mine idles at 1300 something.  I can turn the knob in and make it slower but when I turn it the other way it seems like it stops around 1300 rpms.  Maybe I have the vapor set up wrong.  Do you guys have this problem?  Maybe enrichening it would speed up the idle.  Edit: I changed the pulse per rev from 1 to .5 and rpms are in spec.

Edited by funt, October 30, 2013 - 11:42 AM.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 29, 2013 - 09:06 PM

If you have a GYTR power programer you can plug it in and read the RPM off the ECU in real time. It should adjust right around 1600-2400 rpm's. And adding more fuel did not change my rpm setting.

Edited by vlxjim, October 29, 2013 - 09:07 PM.

• BoiseBee

TT Bronze Member

177 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 29, 2013 - 10:49 PM

Well, I ordered one up, so I hope I got the right one.... Mine says its for the SYM motorcycles and looks like it has the correct cable, but I noticed it says "ED88" above the display instead of "VD001" like the ones posted previously on here.... other than that it looks identical.

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted October 29, 2013 - 11:51 PM

Well, I ordered one up, so I hope I got the right one.... Mine says its for the SYM motorcycles and looks like it has the correct cable, but I noticed it says "ED88" above the display instead of "VD001" like the ones posted previously on here.... other than that it looks identical.

Don't worry, the one I ordered was a ED88 in the photo but the one I received had VD001 printed on it.

Edited by boston460, October 30, 2013 - 12:52 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

TT Platinum Member

1,869 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 07:30 AM

I get that quit often.  When I stop cranking, it appears to be stopped at top dead center and the starter isn't strong enough to push past it.

x2

I have the same thing happen.

I dare you guys to try not using the starter for a day. After you get used to kicking, you won't even miss it.

• woods-rider

TT Addict

3,005 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 07:39 AM

I dare you guys to try not using the starter for a day. After you get used to kicking, you won't even miss it.

Yes I will. I kicked for years and love having the button!

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 30, 2013 - 07:41 AM

As good as mine starts I would miss it. But the type of riding I do is more off roading fun. My WR is overkill but I like overkill. I don't ride close to its limits.

• woods-rider

TT Addict

3,005 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 07:45 AM

I had a hard time starting mine after a somewhat recent valve adjustment that included a 165 shim on an intake valve. We hook the tuner to it at the shop and discovered I had 174 hours on it. Probably time for new valves.

No way should you need new valves after only 174 hrs unless you are running no air filter or for some reason are sucking in a lot of dirt.

• cwallershasta

TT Bronze Member

177 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 08:14 AM

No, I change it after every ride.

• mch

TT Silver Member

583 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted October 30, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I ride a YZ450F too that starts in 1-3 kicks and I don't think I would buy another bike if it didn't have electric start. 

• Ride-n-Hard

TT Bronze Member

412 posts

Posted October 30, 2013 - 08:30 PM

After you used your new fi diagnostic tool and adjusted the co, did you recheck your fi map using the gytr tool? I was woundering if maybe the fid tool is setting the base map and the gytr is and over lay "tweek".

Is there any other co settings you can access?

• thirdcoaster

TT Member

66 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 11:32 AM

I ordered one of the SYM diagnostic tools based on the reports in this thread.  I hooked mine up and powered it off of the WR's battery.  When the diagnostic tool comes alive, it has two options on the screen: Language and Diagnostics.  When I select diagnostics, the screen indicates "connecting" but nothing happens; it just returns to the Language/Diagnostics screen.  Am I missing something here?

• boston460

TT Member

54 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 01:17 PM

I ordered one of the SYM diagnostic tools based on the reports in this thread. I hooked mine up and powered it off of the WR's battery. When the diagnostic tool comes alive, it has two options on the screen: Language and Diagnostics. When I select diagnostics, the screen indicates "connecting" but nothing happens; it just returns to the Language/Diagnostics screen. Am I missing something here?

Strange, when I power mine up it has DTC and below that Diagnostic.
Try this, with the bike turned off plug the diagnostic tool in, select diagnostic with the M button and whilst it's trying to connect turn the ignition button on but don't start the bike. (This is how it requires you to access the different parameters) Hope this helps

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 06, 2013 - 03:35 PM

Yea you need to power up the bike and then pick diagnostic. At some point it will tell you to to turn the bike off.

• thirdcoaster

TT Member

66 posts

Posted November 06, 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have tried every sequence I could think of...powered, not powered, etc. I guess I got a dud.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 07, 2013 - 08:11 AM

It should tell you on the screen to power on or off. Is it plugged in right?

Edited by vlxjim, November 07, 2013 - 08:58 AM.

• vlxjim

TT Bronze Member

343 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 07, 2013 - 08:14 AM

When you turn off the bike does the unit stay on? It should if its powered off the battery right.

• thirdcoaster

TT Member

66 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 09:59 AM

It is plugged in correctly.  The battery powers the unit independently of the ECU lead.  The only thing on the screen is "Language" (UP) and "Diagnostics" (DOWN).  Pressing the "down" button makes the unit attempt to connect "Connecting", and then it returns to the original screen after maybe 10 seconds.  It never connects.

• mch

TT Silver Member

583 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted November 07, 2013 - 12:53 PM

It is plugged in correctly.  The battery powers the unit independently of the ECU lead.  The only thing on the screen is "Language" (UP) and "Diagnostics" (DOWN).  Pressing the "down" button makes the unit attempt to connect "Connecting", and then it returns to the original screen after maybe 10 seconds.  It never connects.

Do you have the aftermarket ECU?  I'm not sure it's needed, but I believe the stock ECU is locked for all aspects of programming.

• thirdcoaster

TT Member

66 posts

Posted November 07, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Do you have the aftermarket ECU?  I'm not sure it's needed, but I believe the stock ECU is locked for all aspects of programming.

Competition ECU was installed as soon as I took delivery of the bike.

I split the case of the EFI programmer at lunchtime.  It is really poorly made (kinda what you expect for little $$) but the circuit boards appear to be OK.  I wonder if the unit I received doesn't have the right program in it.  Tonight, I plan to check the connectors to make sure the wires are making contact.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

New '11 WR450 or '12WR450 by new605guy

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  76 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 WR450 Ride Report & Opinions by stevethe

• Hot  226 replies
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450 headlight by donkeyballz

• Hot  27 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Yamaha WR450F 2012
  • * * * * -
  • 42 reviews
  • Last review by Ptch5636
  • On October 02, 2016
Forums
Photo

2012 wr450f Idle issue by WeekendWarriorz

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Intake - Jetting / Fuel Injection
  • 0 replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.