dynoed my bike. I`m going to kill myself...

17 replies to this topic
  • eduardo426

Posted November 04, 2003 - 10:39 AM

&%$#@!...in my post related to the dynos you guys are reading, i saw that most of you reached 42 and even more hp at the wheel.
My bike was dynoed with cams, powerbomb, doma, high compression piston, modded jetting and one run with the airbox with the bafle removed and another run without the whole airbox cover.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY i`m only seeing 38.5hp at the rear wheel??? The f"#&... dyno must be dead or something.
That dyno belongs to a friend of mine, its a dynojet model 150. It can calculate the power available at the clutch (or is it at the crank :)) by reading what its called "negative power". Now, the rear wheel hp and the negative power should be added togheter to reach for the engine hp.

Why (according to this) does my engine reached 64 horses (wich are 3 more than a CR500r) and only 38.5 horses make it to the rear wheel??? :D

Where are my 26.5 horses??? :D :D

Wich seems to be the problem here??

Thanks.

• holeshot426

Posted November 04, 2003 - 11:50 AM

Dude, I think you are taking this a little too far. How about just riding and have a little fun? Leave the stress at the workplace, enjoy your time with your bike, you will probably live longer...

• blireef

Posted November 04, 2003 - 12:00 PM

How much time do you actually spend with that handle your right hand sits on twisted all the way as far as it goes..Come on now be honest!! :D :D :D :)

• eduardo426

Posted November 04, 2003 - 12:01 PM

Dude, I think you are taking this a little too far. How about just riding and have a little fun? Leave the stress at the workplace, enjoy your time with your bike, you will probably live longer...

I believe you got me wrong on this one.
I dont live for my bike, in fact i dont even have time to ride it as i wanted to have.
But i like mods and everything wich is related to taking the best result out of an engine.
I think my question here was clear...just wanted some opinions about this.

If you follow the advice you just gave to me, why did you spent a lot of money in the mods you proudly show in your sig?
You could just leave the bike stock and enjoyed it. Or does the bike sucks in stock form?

• jwriott

Posted November 04, 2003 - 12:14 PM

There could be lots of factors why you are seeing those numbers. Temp, humidity, rear wheel slippage, rich jetting, poor quality fuel, altitude, etc.

I'm not sure about the performance of your bike but mine absolutely rips with less mods than you have. I have no problem hanging with a totally modified KTM380 that had a high compression piston, ported, polished, carb bored, etc.

How does the bike actually run in the real world? Did you dyno the bike before you did the mods to see what you have gained?

• John_Lorenz

Posted November 04, 2003 - 12:26 PM

&%$#@!...in my post related to the dynos you guys are reading, i saw that most of you reached 42 and even more hp at the wheel.
My bike was dynoed with cams, powerbomb, doma, high compression piston, modded jetting and one run with the airbox with the bafle removed and another run without the whole airbox cover.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY i`m only seeing 38.5hp at the rear wheel??? The f"#&... dyno must be dead or something.
That dyno belongs to a friend of mine, its a dynojet model 150. It can calculate the power available at the clutch (or is it at the crank :)) by reading what its called "negative power". Now, the rear wheel hp and the negative power should be added togheter to reach for the engine hp.

Why (according to this) does my engine reached 64 horses (wich are 3 more than a CR500r) and only 38.5 horses make it to the rear wheel??? :D

Where are my 26.5 horses??? :D :D

Wich seems to be the problem here??

Thanks.

I think your dyslexic

I see it reading 5.83hp check the suspension make sure its dialed for proper amplification during transitional flight

• eduardo426

Posted November 04, 2003 - 01:01 PM

There could be lots of factors why you are seeing those numbers. Temp, humidity, rear wheel slippage, rich jetting, poor quality fuel, altitude, etc.

I'm not sure about the performance of your bike but mine absolutely rips with less mods than you have. I have no problem hanging with a totally modified KTM380 that had a high compression piston, ported, polished, carb bored, etc.

How does the bike actually run in the real world? Did you dyno the bike before you did the mods to see what you have gained?

In the real world the bike is absolutely different for sure. It rips my pants off. I had some initial problems with this engine setup but everything works fine now.
This post wasnt intended to say that i am desperate with this or something. The bike satisfies me a lot with these mods, in fact, i dont even have the breath to match it no more. I do my mods for fun and personal pleasure.
I only wanted to hear what you guys had to say about this.
I could just get here and instead of saying 38.5hp i could have said 60hp...nobody would know if this was the truth or not. Im not ashamed of the dyno result as some guys here might think.

vmaxcbr900wr426...thanks for your 2 cents.
The altitude is sea level, low humidity, 15 degrees celcius and i used the off road tire wich have some bad reading on the dyno. The fuel here is 98 octane. I never dynoed the bike before the mods.
The reason why i think its strange its because the dyno showed a high engine output but read a lot less at the rear wheel.
:)

• Hick

Posted November 04, 2003 - 02:59 PM

I only wanted to hear what you guys had to say about this.

Sounds like that dyno ain't workin' right.

You may try another dyno run with a dual sport or street tire.

:)

• HotCams

Posted November 04, 2003 - 03:03 PM

Hi Eduardo426,
I am not familiar with the Dynojet, as we us a Superflow. You cant compare numbers from dyno to dyno, some dynos just read low, it would have been nice to see what your baseline was. But we have found that using a knobey tire would make a big difference, so I would estimate you a few more ponies then shown.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BC3

Posted November 04, 2003 - 08:58 PM

Dyno readings are fun and everything but
the way I got it figured is if you can't ride around the TRACK with the throttle full on.....then why do want to have more HP? Your not even using what you have :)

BC :D

• oldbones

Posted November 04, 2003 - 09:12 PM

I learned a valuable lesson the first (and only) time I ever ran one of my bikes on a dyno.

Don't run your bike on a dyno. It will only cause you grief and cost you money. If you are happy with the seat of the pants performance of your bike, you will be dissapointed with the dyno results. Unless you get an out of whack dyno, I think you will be unhappy with the numbers those things spit out.

Every guy I have seen watching his dyno run thought his bike would pull better numbers (myself included). For instance, there is a guy with a hot bike around here, and I had seen his dyno runs. I had also beaten him 5 out of 5 times he tried me. Needless to say, I was not too happy when I got my dyno, and I was pushing over 10 less ponies than he was! Talk about &%$#@!!!!

That dyno run cost me:

1 new (crate) motor
1 new camshaft
1 set pushrods
1 new carb
1 new ignition
1 new set of pipes
3 back tires (so far)
many other little go fast goodies...

Now, I am sure I am making many ponies. Do I care to put 'er on the dyno to prove it?

HELL NO! I think I done learned my lesson on that one! I will wait until I get beat by a bike I don't think I should get beat by, then maybe it's time for some head work and a bigger cam! :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 04, 2003 - 11:23 PM

I dunno.... to answer you question directly... It seems as though your dyno is not calibrated correctly... Sounds like your bike rips but the dyno should prove it.. I would take the bike to another facility and compare the results.. Dynos are pretty common these days, you shouldn't have a tough time finding one..

Most of us here on TT are guilty of turning these issues into science or possibly taking them too far, I have no problems with a guy wanting to know exactly how much output his engine making.. It always makes for a good conversation.. :)

Dan

• MN_Kevin

Posted November 05, 2003 - 05:18 AM

dyno tuning should be a tool for getting these f-ing carb issues straightened out (at least on my 99 POS carb).

The only time I used a dyno (free of charge BTW at a Yamaha shop in Hartford, CT) I ran my 1982 Yamaha XJ650RJ Seca (non turbo). Other than showing me it put out ~ 60BHP, I thought it was going to explode. :)

• CoalPilot

Posted November 05, 2003 - 05:57 AM

Aside from unequaled matching..like a 65cc to a 450cc bike, Hp # to me don't mean a lot, it's more the skill and ability of the pilot. I have seen time and again a more experianced rider/driver take less and do more /and win more over guys who have the full blown HP#'s and tricked out vehicles. Although a strong case can be made on HP I believe the secret to winning anything is all in the transmission/gearing and rider/driver skills.

I agree that a dyno can help set up your jetting/carb/timing/pipe matching etc., but these are bikes, here...dirt bikes, not hot rod 1/4 mile cars...yadda, yadda, yadda.

Unless you have bottomless pockets, how many HP kings out there have trailer queens, they soak thousands of dollars into having the newest mods, and gadgets, but are afraid to use it's full potential for fear of blowing it up! A lot of these type of guys are not pro racers and lack the knowledge behind the wheel. Less can be more in the right hands. :)

You want the full engine output to go to the rear wheel? Weld a sproket directly on your crankshaft and hook that to your back wheel! Have a long, long straight away, push start it and hang on.....insanity!!!! :D :D

• faggio40

Posted November 05, 2003 - 02:35 PM

Are you sure about the possibility to achieve 64 hp? :D For Evert's YZ, Yamaha declares 58 hp.... but, i'm agree that 38.5 hp are very low power, with all special parts on your engine. So, tree possibility, in my opinion: first: dyno is broken and your engine is more powerful than Evert's :D ; second: the assembly and according of all special parts aren't done well. :D Make attention to value this possibility. In the past, i did a lot of mistake on the final tuning, :) that is the most important thing if you want a powerful engine. third: your friend is a nice boy and before the test at dyno he put beer in the tank instead of fuel... :D

• Eddie Sisneros

Posted November 06, 2003 - 06:27 PM

did you dyno it with a knobby?the knobby slips and cuases low readings.you have to use a street tire.if im being lazy i wont change the tire just to do some jetting,but on my drz it reads about 15hp less.

• Thumpleupagus

Posted November 07, 2003 - 01:59 PM

Gotta agree with Burned, the knobby tire is probably having a bigger impact than you think. Throw something smooth on it and give it a shot. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to know what your bike is putting out. If you want to know, then that is reason enough :)

• weekendtoy98DR

Posted November 08, 2003 - 05:24 AM

if im being lazy i wont change the tire just to do some jetting,but on my drz it reads about 15hp less.

WOW! Here I was thinking a 5hp loss would have been alot.No doubt the knobby tire is robbing you.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.