Suspension Questions

9 replies to this topic
  • GoVols

Posted August 11, 2012 - 09:40 AM

First Post!! Very excited that I bought a 2005 Wr450!! I have search the Internet and this site for an answer to my question, but to no avail.

I am 5'9" and about 220# w/ gear. I believe the rear spring I have is stock (silver in color). At rest I can get both feet down, but barely!! I would like to lower the bike an inch or so.

I have read posts about the pro's and con's of a lowering link. I'm not sure that I want to reinvent the wheel for what the amount of drop I am looking for. Further, I know I have the option to shave the seat, but I don't want to give up to much saddle comfort. I guess my question is, can I adjust the seat height to my liking and then adjust the damper and preload to make up for what I lost? I hope I referred to everything correctly.

A little about my riding style. I am coming from a sportbike background. I plan to ride trails around Colorado. My goal is to try keep the tires on the ground as much as possible!!

Any response will be greatly appreciated!!

Charley

• Taxgod4u

Posted August 11, 2012 - 07:25 PM

get a gutsracing soft stock height set foam for about $60+ frt. it is uber soft like an expensive sofa, it will lower your standing position by a good inch. you wont need a lowering ling after that. also the links require new springs as you are at the uper limits of your stock spring. it is designed for around 180 pounds. i am 5'8" and bought the yamalink and the seat foam. did the seat foam first and returned the link. you wont be disappointed.

• MANIAC998

Posted August 12, 2012 - 02:53 AM

As you are probably aware, the lowering links change the suspension ratio somewhat. And this effects handling. Now, does it effect it enough to where it is more negative than being able to touch your feet down comfortably? Only you can provide that answer. I think taxgod4u has some good points. Start with a softer seat, as there cheap. Then if you need even more lowering, then look into the link. For trail riding, not racing, the link will probably be fine.
Maniac

• kawi380

Posted August 12, 2012 - 05:42 AM

I am 5'10" and have no problem riding the bike in stock form. You really don't want to lower the bike. All it will accomplish is that you will have less ground clearance. The bikes are tallish for a reason. You need to learn to be comfortable with the height.

Why do you need to be able to put both feet on the ground at the same time??

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:24 AM

I am 5-9 although about 10lbs heavier. I have a bit of a short inseam at only 31 inches.

I recommend that you do NOTlower the bike. If you can barely get both feet down, then that is is plenty. Practice having only one foot down by leaning every so slightly to one side. Learn to plan where you are going to stop so you can get the foot down and balance. Yes, you will have the occasional tip over, moreso in the beginning, but you will deal with it just fine. At your height, you are nowhere close to needing the bike lowered.

WHen I got my wr450 years ago, it was my first dirt bike after riding street for years. It took me a while to just accept the height of the bike and deal with it. I initially spent money getting it lowered an inch, then I quickly took that off because it was too low and I was hitting me feet on things.

Remember, focus on getting just one foot down, plan where you stop, be in the right gear to take off when you stop, lean the bike slightly when on one leg, move your butt slightly to the side of the seat to make the one foot even more planted.

Good luck... you just got to adjust.

Edited by mauricedorris, August 12, 2012 - 08:26 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Rocky739

Posted August 12, 2012 - 06:05 PM

Agree with all the others. The WR does have a pretty tall seat height compared to other bikes but ony by an inch or so. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I promise the bike is fine. Spend your money getting the bikes suspension set up correctly for your weight and enjoy.

• spokexx

Posted August 13, 2012 - 12:48 PM

I simply cut my seat down. I removed it, un-stapled the cover from underneath to expose the foam. Then I got this cheese grater looking tool meant for wood but it worked great on the foam. It kinda looks like a hand held planer but there isnt a blade underneath, it really looks like a cheese grater. I grated/sanded down 2" and it made a huge difference. Most was taken off right in the spot where i sit often, then i contoured it up at the rear where i left it alone. This gave me a sort of platform in the rear to stretch out on. Wrapped the cover back under and electric stapled it back on. Mangia mangia!!!

• Pooley

Posted August 13, 2012 - 04:37 PM

I am 5-9 although about 10lbs heavier. I have a bit of a short inseam at only 31 inches.

I recommend that you do NOTlower the bike. If you can barely get both feet down, then that is is plenty. Practice having only one foot down by leaning every so slightly to one side. Learn to plan where you are going to stop so you can get the foot down and balance. Yes, you will have the occasional tip over, moreso in the beginning, but you will deal with it just fine. At your height, you are nowhere close to needing the bike lowered.

WHen I got my wr450 years ago, it was my first dirt bike after riding street for years. It took me a while to just accept the height of the bike and deal with it. I initially spent money getting it lowered an inch, then I quickly took that off because it was too low and I was hitting me feet on things.

Remember, focus on getting just one foot down, plan where you stop, be in the right gear to take off when you stop, lean the bike slightly when on one leg, move your butt slightly to the side of the seat to make the one foot even more planted.

Good luck... you just got to adjust.

:thumbsup: +1

That is about exactly what I was going to comment. I am 5'9" so I have the exact same problems. I considered lowering the WR426 a long time ago, but didn't have the money to do so, not to mention I don't think they ever designed a lowering link for it. Anyway, like already stated, try to pick your spots to stop and just learn to ride it as is. After 11 years, the height doesn't bother me at all when riding, unless it is super technical and having feet down is a big advantage.

• allterra

Posted August 14, 2012 - 04:08 AM

I'm 5'61/2" with 29" in seam. There is no way I would lower my bike. You just have to learn to use the pegs just like you are standing on the ground and when it is time to bail, BAIL and when it is time to put your feet down do it with conviction. I ride trail and logs and rock ledges don't get any shorter when you lower your bike. I see and hear of people who stop with the wheels on high spots then can't reach the ground and topple over. I just have to laugh cause they have no clue how to dismount without first putting both feet on the ground.

• Taxgod4u

Posted August 15, 2012 - 03:03 PM

soooffffttttt seeaaaat foam. I have a 29" inseam (and am old) and no issues with getting my feet to the ground. AND no more monkey butt! I sure don't miss being smashed in the nutz by that 2x4 they call a seat. If you get it and are not happy, sell it ot a fellow member or on ebay. worst case you eat the initial shipping.

Takes about 15 minutes to recover a seat, get an electric staple gun from harbor freight (reg on line for regular 20% off coupons), 1/4 inche stapels from local hardware store and off you go!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.