2003wr 450 stator cover same as 2004 yfz 450 cover

1 reply to this topic
  • mtahoe

Posted August 11, 2012 - 09:36 AM

Is this cover interchangable. I thought I read this somewhere looks the same just has a breather hose.... thanks!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DeepPurplishBlue

Posted August 12, 2012 - 05:12 PM

Is this cover interchangable. I thought I read this somewhere looks the same just has a breather hose.... thanks!!!!!

yfz is the one from the quad... Looking at the parts fiche is looks the same as the 2004 WR cover except for the breather hose bung that you mention.

Concerning 2003 versus 2004 fitment:

It is the same except for the bushing for the starter idler gear. The 2004 has a starter clutch instead of idler gear and the shaft diameter is different where it fits into the stator cover.

The stator cover is one of the parts commonly replaced when doing the 2004 starter parts upgrade to the 2003. It is possible to put a bushing in the 2003 cover to make the 2004 starter clutch fit, but some folks just replace the whole cover.

Having said all that, it will not swap on your bike unless you have the 2004 starter clutch. The shaft on the 2003 starter idler gear is too big and won't fit in the cover.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.