2006 burning oil

10 replies to this topic
  • Stealth13

Posted August 10, 2012 - 09:18 PM

Whenever I start the bike I can see blue coming out for the first 30 seconds or so then it stops. Friend says he can smell a bit while we're riding... What would cause this and how to fix it?

Bikes got 7300 km on it and might not be doing so well

• miweber929

Posted August 11, 2012 - 04:55 AM

When is the last time you checked your valves? Oh wait........

Most likely valve seals, to fix you need to replace them.

• Stealth13

Posted August 11, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Some people were saying piston ring. And once it warms up it doesn't let the oil by

• GlennR

Posted August 11, 2012 - 06:05 PM

If it was the rings the bike would smoke all the time.

You might like this site: http://www.dansmc.co...epaircourse.htm

• miweber929

Posted August 12, 2012 - 06:03 AM

Some people were saying piston ring. And once it warms up it doesn't let the oil by

Dude, I've told you this before and others have as well, but the "some people" you keep getting the advice from really need to stop talking as they are constantly giving you bad advice.

The biggest issue with that is you have like 50 threads on here all asking the same 10 questions over and over with real people with real knowledge telling things but you don't want to listen and go back until someone tells you what you want to hear or you keep quoting this "some people" and never listen.

It's valve seals. Like Glenn mentioned rings would be smoking all the time, however since I seem to remember you completely submerging your bike at one time or another it could possibly be other piston/cylinder issues, but they don't seem likely at this point since it stops after a short time.

Seals are cheap, easy to change, AT THE SAME TIME DO A VALVE ADJUSTMENT and will most likely solve the issue. There are 3 or 4 really good WR guru's who give excellent advice that you rarely see post in your threads anymore because you don't listen. So do yourself a favor and listen this time to people who know.

Edited by miweber929, August 12, 2012 - 06:05 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stealth13

Posted August 12, 2012 - 08:36 AM

After riding a while more I think it's smoking constantly. Can't really see it on the trails but my buddy says he can smell oil constantly

• MANIAC998

Posted August 12, 2012 - 01:08 PM

Dude, I've told you this before and others have as well, but the "some people" you keep getting the advice from really need to stop talking as they are constantly giving you bad advice.

The biggest issue with that is you have like 50 threads on here all asking the same 10 questions over and over with real people with real knowledge telling things but you don't want to listen and go back until someone tells you what you want to hear or you keep quoting this "some people" and never listen.

It's valve seals. Like Glenn mentioned rings would be smoking all the time, however since I seem to remember you completely submerging your bike at one time or another it could possibly be other piston/cylinder issues, but they don't seem likely at this point since it stops after a short time.

Seals are cheap, easy to change, AT THE SAME TIME DO A VALVE ADJUSTMENT and will most likely solve the issue. There are 3 or 4 really good WR guru's who give excellent advice that you rarely see post in your threads anymore because you don't listen. So do yourself a favor and listen this time to people who know.

:thumbsup:

• miweber929

Posted August 12, 2012 - 04:34 PM

After riding a while more I think it's smoking constantly. Can't really see it on the trails but my buddy says he can smell oil constantly

Time to open it up and find out what's going on or sell it to someone who will take care of it and go find something else.

How much oil are you burning? That will tell you a lot as well.

Still may be valve seals. Without a visual inspection of the head, piston and cylinder you are just guessing.

• Stealth13

Posted August 12, 2012 - 09:16 PM

I calculated it to be around 200ml oil for a 100km ride

• miweber929

Posted August 13, 2012 - 04:10 AM

I calculated it to be around 200ml oil for a 100km ride

Then if my calculations and your estimations are correct you're talking about a quart every 310 miles or so, that's a lot of oil to be going through for valve seals (but potentially could still be an issue) so with this new info then yeah, piston and rings could very well be the culprit. If so you'll probably find a scored cylinder.

Again, teardown time or sell it to someone who will. The longer you run it burning that much oil the sooner you'll potentially screw up the valve train as well by leaving huge deposits on the head and valves and cause more damage if they stick open.

My gut tells me submerging the bike and not properly dealing with getting the water out did it in.

• GlennR

Posted August 13, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Slealth,
Sounds like you might as well "bite the bullet" and learn to do the rebuild. It's going to be tough trying to sell a bike that smokes, and you won't get much for it. After it's rebuilt you will know that it's a fresh engine, and it will run great for a long time. Besides having a fresh engine, "you" will also be gaining experience/knowledge.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.