fitting new speedo to wr450

5 replies to this topic
  • SEDUCE

Posted August 09, 2012 - 09:59 PM

Hey guys i have a 2003 wr450, I am wanting to changing the speedo/odometer on it to the 2008 model, is this possible and has anyone done it?
Would i have to change alot on it to make it work as my old one is analog style and the new one is all digital?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• L. Euler

Posted August 13, 2012 - 05:34 PM

The odo on my 2003 finally crapped out and I replaced it with a Trailtech Vapor. I highly recommend it. Note that if you remove the 03 odo you will need to keep the cable drive on the front wheel as it provides proper spacing and bearing seal for the axle. I've seen the 08 unit and the only way I would go with it over the Vapor is if I got it at no cost.

Edited by GammaFunction, August 13, 2012 - 05:36 PM.

• SEDUCE

Posted August 13, 2012 - 08:03 PM

The odo on my 2003 finally crapped out and I replaced it with a Trailtech Vapor. I highly recommend it. Note that if you remove the 03 odo you will need to keep the cable drive on the front wheel as it provides proper spacing and bearing seal for the axle. I've seen the 08 unit and the only way I would go with it over the Vapor is if I got it at no cost.

Oh ok so it can be fitted? how do you run the speedo cable is it electric or mechanical?
How hards was the trail tech one to fit and what options doe it tell you?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GlennR

Posted August 14, 2012 - 04:04 AM

I was thinking about getting a Vapor for my 08' because I'm doing a Sumo wheel conversion and need a speedo. I think a GPS might be a better option though, since they are simpler to install, more accurate, give directions/maps, and can be had for less money than a Vapor. It would also be more versital and could be easily moved to other bikes/vehicles or used for hiking.

my .02

• chatchie

Posted August 14, 2012 - 06:10 PM

I bought this one. It bolts in using the OEM Wr drive. It also has indicators for your signals and high beam and is cheaper than the Vapor. Haven't put it in yet but it looks nice and comes with a bracket.

http://www.ebay.com/...r#ht_1756wt_803

• L. Euler

Posted August 15, 2012 - 01:05 PM

I have not used the 08 electronic odo. I have the vapor and it senses speed with a magnet mounted to the front brake disc and a pickup mounted to the caliper. The Trailtech has speed, distance, time, ambient temp, coolant temp, and RPM along with max and elapsed values. Much more versatile then the Yamaha unit.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.